What's new

New here, obviously...

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
New to the forum, and somewhat new to Kava,
I feel I have a lot to learn, and have a lot of questions. So many questions, that I wonder if it's better to consolidate them into one thread.
But for right now, I'll keep it simple...
Is there a newbie guide to Kava, either on this site, or elsewhere, that's good for getting people familiar with the differences between
each Kava strain, as well as any other basic tips and suggestions for newbies ?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I feel I have a lot to learn, and have a lot of questions. So many questions, that I wonder if it's better to consolidate them into one thread.
Is there a newbie guide to Kava, either on this site, or elsewhere, that's good for getting people familiar with the differences between
Welcome to KF :), there are many new and old threads alike with plenty of information. Here are a few good threads to start with.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/glossary-of-commonly-used-terms.5423/
http://kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/frequently-asked-questions/
http://kavaforums.com/forum/CustomPages10?Name=Kavapedia&TagKey=41/

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
As I read through the "Frequently asked questions" there is lots of great information but here is something which should be clarified based on this quote-
"What temperature water should I use for making kava?
A study by the University of Hawaii at Manoa concluded that using hot but not boiling (113 Fahrenheit) water significantly aided the extraction of kavalactones. Some forum users have found that using boiling water can increase the potency of kava. Regardless of what temperature the kava is prepared at, chilling it before drinking will improve the taste".
-- while it is true that hot water will aid in extraction of kavalactones, it is important to remember the current recommendations* are to make your kava beverage (whether fresh or dry) using tap, cool water not hot. Kava 's effects are far more than kavalactones, there is an entourage of complex active components. Chilling before drinking, if made from hot, misses the point.
* CODEX ALIMENTARIUS Commission 2017 Standard for Kava Products for Use as a Beverage and Journal of the American Medical Association 11/17/2010 Vol. 304.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
As I read through the "Frequently asked questions" there is lots of great information but here is something which should be clarified based on this quote-
"What temperature water should I use for making kava?
A study by the University of Hawaii at Manoa concluded that using hot but not boiling (113 Fahrenheit) water significantly aided the extraction of kavalactones. Some forum users have found that using boiling water can increase the potency of kava. Regardless of what temperature the kava is prepared at, chilling it before drinking will improve the taste".
-- while it is true that hot water will aid in extraction of kavalactones, it is important to remember the current recommendations* are to make your kava beverage (whether fresh or dry) using tap, cool water not hot. Kava 's effects are far more than kavalactones, there is an entourage of complex active components. Chilling before drinking, if made from hot, misses the point.
* CODEX ALIMENTARIUS Commission 2017 Standard for Kava Products for Use as a Beverage and Journal of the American Medical Association 11/17/2010 Vol. 304.
Thank you! I'll get that updated.

D

Deleted User01

When I extract, I go by the 113 degree theory and the blending theory. I blend at 123 degrees and the temperature goes down close enough to 113 when I extract. So I try to do everything by the book to get the greatest extraction. And I do a second wash too. By the time I'm done, there is nothing but splinters in my bag.

N

Noname

Empty stomach atleast 4 hours without food. Get Ina chill environment. Use 2-5 tablespoons. Make it into id say 1 tablespoon per shot and 4 oz of water per shot. You can use less water but it'll turn out muddy. One shot every 15-30 min some kava is strong.Also some people report eating killings kills the buzz. Make sure it's noble kava. Go to truekava.com and find out which vendors are certified. Lawena is a quick trip and less stony for day time. Waka is heavier and lasts longer

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The thing with using hot water for me is that it does change the the taste. Also the spiel goes that kava is safe when prepared and consumed in the traditional way it has been for thousands of years... which doesn't feature hot water. Who knows?

N

Noname

Forgot to mention..blend it with water and about half a cup of milk on high for 1-5 min I don't even think it makes a difference after 1 min and after strain it.. Or use a metal strainer to make it stronger

Stan

Kava Curious
Yeh @ Edward. I used to nuke some water to slightly hot , used to get me krunk but nowadays i cant stand the taste of that. Really burly.

N

Noname

I blend it and then since its been in the blender straining it will only take 30 seconds squeeze until water stops dripping from cloth..if you plan to strain without blender than strain for 15.. Blender makes it stronger so I would go with that

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Hi new person. Welcome! Hope you find all the info, fun and friendship you're looking for.

Traditional prep doesn't bother me if I'm making a bunch of kava. It's fun to drink in a group, anyway. But I also recently got an AluBall and, yes, it works as advertised. Just double-balled some GHK hanakapi'ai. Got homegrown corn in the oven and watermelon chilling in the icebox. Pretty good for a 4th of July :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Could you tell me roughly how long does a batch take, to prepare ?

The term & idea of "straining" sounds very meticulous, messy, and time-consuming to me. Is it ?
Depends on how you do it. Traditional prep meaning putting root in a strainer, soaking, kneading and squeezing takes up to 15 mins but those who do it say it's very soothing and part of the experience. If I'm making a bigger batch for myself, say 3 or 4 shells I will quite often use a blender, strain through a knee high to get rid of the bulk of the root and then through a finer strainer to get rid of some of the finer particles. I can have that done in about 5 minutes. If I'm just shaking a few shells I'll use the aluball which is fill the ball, pop it in the shaker with some liquid, shake and serve which is done in a minute or so.

Once you get into it the whole thing will seem less daunting and you will find your own preferred method of making it. I would definitely recommend trying the blender method first, 2 to 4 cups of water in the blender, spoon in your root, blend for a minute or two and strain. After that get an aluball and try it that way.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Could you tell me roughly how long does a batch take, to prepare ?

The term & idea of "straining" sounds very meticulous, messy, and time-consuming to me. Is it ?
No more than 10-15 minutes depending on how much you are straining. For beginners I think it is easier to just go with microgrind and/or instant. It is much easier to control the dosage and slowly ramp up to an amount that works for you. After a few months of getting a better understanding of how kava feels then you are in a better place to make some traditional prep kava. It is not hard and quite enjoyable.