What's new

New to Kava and forum - seeking advice

MaureenP

Kava Curious
Hi everyone!
I have never used Kava before but have been reading a bit about it and would love to try it. I'm a total newbie, and would like some advice on how to start enjoying Kava. There are so many websites selling Kava....what vendor/product would you recommend to someone just starting out? Also, I tend to have a weak stomach. I will throw up from a single vicodin or percocet...so I am concerned about some reading I did that Kava causes nausea...can this be prevented? Also what would be a good dose for my first time? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I seek advice to help ensure a pleasant first time. Thanks!

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Hi Maureen,

Welcome to the forum:happy:

I think the best way to get your feet wet would be to get some GHK instant kava; perhaps Mo'i or Mahakea. Also Tongan I've found to be easy on the stomach and KWK just came out with a noble Tongan.

P.S. Please don't tell anyone I talked to you, there's a particular lady about here who doesn't like me to talking to females ::happyshell::

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Yes
wellcome.jpg
to the Kava Forums. Here is what I would do. I would start, with a nice hard hitting Kava, so you know what your playing with I would choose something Like Mahakea, from GHK. here is a link http://www.gourmethawaiiankava.com/4.html Next, when I received my Kava, I would make it the standard way, but replace the water with any fruit juice, you may like. I find that making kava with fruit juices, wakes the medicine go down, better. Much Love Roaddog....

MaureenP

Kava Curious
Thank you everyone. I was a little impatient, and jumped to order some Kava. I ordered the sampler pack from BHK..Do you think those will be a good introduction? I will definitely keep GHK in mind for my next order though....and The Kavapedia looks like a great resource :0) Thanks for the fruit juice tip Roaddog...will definitely try that because I heard the flavor is ummm interesting...

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thank you everyone. I was a little impatient, and jumped to order some Kava. I ordered the sampler pack from BHK..Do you think those will be a good introduction? I will definitely keep GHK in mind for my next order though....and The Kavapedia looks like a great resource :0) Thanks for the fruit juice tip Roaddog...will definitely try that because I heard the flavor is ummm interesting...
I'm sure @Judd Rench could help you answer that. ::happyshell::

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Hello Maureen! Welcome to kavaforums. You've definitely come to the right place!

Also, I tend to have a weak stomach. I will throw up from a single vicodin or percocet...so I am concerned about some reading I did that Kava causes nausea...can this be prevented?
You and me both, sister. I have the digestive system of a newborn baby mouse and have battled IBS for years. Since discovering kava, I've been on a personal mission to minimize digestive discomfort, going through tons of extra measures that many others simply don't have to be concerned with. I think there are two nausea-inducers for me. The big one is the root fibers, which I try to strain out of the soaked root as completely as possible. The other is the action of several of the kavalactones (active ingredients) in the kava. In particular, DHM (dihydromethisticin) and DHK (dihydrokavain). Certain types of kava that are high in DHM in particular make me nauseated, but I've never gotten to the point where I've thrown up.

Also what would be a good dose for my first time? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I seek advice to help ensure a pleasant first time. Thanks!
We love questions about kava. The amount you use depends on a lot of variables, but the most important one is the kind of kava you buy (whether it's medium grind root, micronized grind root, or instant.)

My recommendation to you to start would be to get some Medium Grind kava root, either from Kalm with Kava (www.drinkkalm.com) in which case I suggest the Borongoru variety which he's currently out of but will start shipping again on the 27th of this month, or Gourmet Hawaiian Kava (www.gourmethawaiiankava.com) and get some medium grind M'oi (if you are interested in more euphoric states) or Nene (if you're interested more in relaxation/sleep.)

With Medium Grind root, you will need to strain it, and I can recommend the Elite Chef nut milk bag for straining. It's a 80 micron monofilament nylon mesh that will be finer than the paint strainers, pantyhouse/stockings or muslin bags that others sell. (www.amazon.com/Elite-Chef-Nut-Milk-Bag/dp/B00NUU7FH8).

The procedure would be: Soak 1/2 cup of ground root in 2 cups of warm water for 30 minutes, then pour it into the strainer bag sitting in a big bowl and squeeze and knead it under the water for 5-10 minutes, squishing it all around and periodically holding it above the water and twisting the hell out of it to try to get all of the moisture out. Then soak it back in the water and repeat. Toss out the contents of the bag after the final twisting squeeze, rinse the bag completely out both inside and out, and then pour the contents of the big bowl back through the strainer one more time for a final filtering.

The resulting liquid should be roughly the consistency of thin chocolate milk. That's your final product.

Drink 4oz of it to start with, wait 20 minutes, drink another 4oz of it, etc. I find that about 4 "shells" is all I need.

I found that nut milk bag to be a VAST improvement over more popular strainers for me and my weenie GI, though I eventually moved from an 80 micron mesh to a 25 micron mesh that I had to buy from a specialty filtration company. That works astoundingly well at eliminating stomach discomfort while letting me really enjoy the full effects of really good kava root.

Again, welcome! And good luck!

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
While the traditional prep method seems to yield the absolute best results for me. I can also recommend Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's Instant Mo'i. Just add water, stir and drink. It gave me a little discomfort, but not as much as I used to get before I switched to that specific nut milk bag.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
If you're sensitive to things I'd suggest starting off with a pretty low and watered down ratio of root to water and bumping it up from their.

Try something like 1 tbsp to 16 oz. (super light and watered down) and progress from their. So maybe I donno...

1tbsp:16 oz
2tbsp:16 oz
2 tbsp:10 oz
just throwing numbers out their but you get the idea.

Welcome to the tribe. ::happyshell::

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hi Maureen. Welcome, and thanks for the order. You can't go wrong with a sample pack. Just follow the instructions here. The only difference I suggest is maybe go a little lighter the first time around. Use 1 part kava to 5 or 6 parts water. Make enough for two servings, and space them about 15 minutes apart. You can adjust potency from there. Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.

Bula!

MaureenP

Kava Curious
My lips are sealed ObiNouekFoNobl, lol! I really appreciate all the detailed advice, info, and recommendations. It's nice to have such a supportive network of people when embarking on a new adventure :0) My Kava is on the way..thanks to Judd's quick service....I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

MaureenP

Kava Curious
I did have a question....i've been taking seroquel for insomnia and PTSD....can drinking Kava have any negative effects when combined with my prescription medication?

MaureenP

Kava Curious
Steve Mariotti....I also ordered the nut milk bag you recommended...thanks for the recommendation...i'm glad to get advice from a fellow weenie stomach...

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Steve Mariotti....I also ordered the nut milk bag you recommended...thanks for the recommendation...i'm glad to get advice from a fellow weenie stomach...
I'm interested to hear your thoughts/experiences and I can provide info on an even finer mesh bag if you need it. You'll get forearms like popeye from kneading it, but it really squishes the kavalactones out of the root!

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I did have a question....i've been taking seroquel for insomnia and PTSD....can drinking Kava have any negative effects when combined with my prescription medication?
I take duloxetine and have no interactions, but that's an SNRI. I used to take seroquel but never while I was drinking kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
There's no real studies done on kava interactions. If you wanna do a little research, you can find out wich liver enzymes are involved with processing kava and see if any of your meds use the same one(s). That's usually a good indicator, that the combo would typically advised against.

There was another member taking seroquel and kava, and showed elevated liver enzymes on his blood test.
I've read that seroquel on it's own can raise liver enzymes or temporarily raise them. That's a pretty big clue that they probably shouldnt be combined regularly. Each on their own might be fairly benign, but taken together frequently could possibly lead to some damage.