What's new

New User - So many questions

Ben Morris

Kava Curious
I bought a lb of Kava Root - Borogu Kava from Bulu Kava House. It was suggested to me for my anxiety. I don't use drugs and drink moderately. No idea if that's pertinent.

I've watched some videos on how to prep it by soaking and squeezing but I don't have a strainer right now.

1) Can I use a bandana until I get a strainer?
2) Should I get these or is there something better? 1 X Cotton Muslin Bags 3x4 Inch Drawstring 50 Count Pack Amazon product3) How strong should I mix it? I know some of the answers are on here and on the web, but I've seen conflicting information. I suppose I'm looking for someone to tell me directly.
4)Should I mix milk?
5)Is there something I should eat or not eat to make it more efficient?

Thanks in advance! I'm pretty excited and looking forward to experimenting.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I bought a lb of Kava Root - Borogu Kava from Bulu Kava House. It was suggested to me for my anxiety. I don't use drugs and drink moderately. No idea if that's pertinent.

I've watched some videos on how to prep it by soaking and squeezing but I don't have a strainer right now.

1) Can I use a bandana until I get a strainer?
2) Should I get these or is there something better? 1 X Cotton Muslin Bags 3x4 Inch Drawstring 50 Count Pack Amazon product3) How strong should I mix it? I know some of the answers are on here and on the web, but I've seen conflicting information. I suppose I'm looking for someone to tell me directly.
4)Should I mix milk?
5)Is there something I should eat or not eat to make it more efficient?

Thanks in advance! I'm pretty excited and looking forward to experimenting.
Some of your questions are personal preference; but I will give you my own unofficial thoughts:
1 and 2) Probably; but I'd be nervous it might not be porous enough to let enough root material through. But no reason you can't try it. If you can knead such that you get thickish brown liquid as a result like coffee with lots of creamer that tastes bitter and numbs your mouth, your probably good to go. Women's knee highs are used by many people. I would bet even a (brand new) cotton men's sock would work pretty well. When I first tried kava in high school (in the late 90's), I went to Walmart and bought coarse sheer curtain material. As far as buying a strainer bag, I really like Kavafied's Beginner's strainer bag. I think they even have a sale on right now (see the member's only deals), if the sale didn't end yet. But that's the only bag I've purchased, so I can't compare it to others.
3) Definately personal preference. There is also an open question in my mind about whether a medicinal anti-anxiety dose might be better taken as a very small dose (compared to what most on the forums use), taken very regularly. For recreational/beverage use, I think most people use 4 or more heaping tablespoons. I usually end up drinking at least a liter. I usually end up prepping more then 4 tablespoons. However, I am pretty convinced that for staving off anxiety, smaller amounts like 1 or 2 tbs every 4 hours might be a better strategy. So really gonna be personal preference/trial and error. If you want to improve symptoms without getting a buzz you might wanna try smaller amounts. If you wanna feel a buzz, try higher.
4) I don't; and its not the traditional way. Cool or room temperature water and root is the traditional way.
5) The thing to avoid eating is food; till awhile after it gets in your system. Anecdotally, fatty meals afterward can "boost" the effects; I personally am not sure that I really like the "boost;" I noticed last night that it mostly just added a drowsy heavy dizzy feeling that I didn't particularly like while doing nothing to the more uplifting notes.

Ben Morris

Kava Curious
Some of your questions are personal preference; but I will give you my own unofficial thoughts:
1 and 2) Probably; but I'd be nervous it might not be porous enough to let enough root material through. But no reason you can't try it. If you can knead such that you get thickish brown liquid as a result like coffee with lots of creamer that tastes bitter and numbs your mouth, your probably good to go. Women's knee highs are used by many people. I would bet even a (brand new) cotton men's sock would work pretty well. When I first tried kava in high school (in the late 90's), I went to Walmart and bought coarse sheer curtain material. As far as buying a strainer bag, I really like Kavafied's Beginner's strainer bag. I think they even have a sale on right now (see the member's only deals), if the sale didn't end yet. But that's the only bag I've purchased, so I can't compare it to others.
3) Definately personal preference. There is also an open question in my mind about whether a medicinal anti-anxiety dose might be better taken as a very small dose (compared to what most on the forums use), taken very regularly. For recreational/beverage use, I think most people use 4 or more heaping tablespoons. I usually end up drinking at least a liter. I usually end up prepping more then 4 tablespoons. However, I am pretty convinced that for staving off anxiety, smaller amounts like 1 or 2 tbs every 4 hours might be a better strategy. So really gonna be personal preference/trial and error. If you want to improve symptoms without getting a buzz you might wanna try smaller amounts. If you wanna feel a buzz, try higher.
4) I don't; and its not the traditional way. Cool or room temperature water and root is the traditional way.
5) The thing to avoid eating is food; till awhile after it gets in your system. Anecdotally, fatty meals afterward can "boost" the effects; I personally am not sure that I really like the "boost;" I noticed last night that it mostly just added a drowsy heavy dizzy feeling that I didn't particularly like while doing nothing to the more uplifting notes.
Thanks for the response! I'm not against getting a buzz, but I wouldn't mind an overall daily effect, either. Also, my anxiety isn't constant. I might get questions at work if I'm prepping every 4 hours. That begs the question, how long can it sit?

Ben Morris

Kava Curious
I bought the strainer you suggested. How does one clean/maintain a strainer?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks for the response! I'm not against getting a buzz, but I wouldn't mind an overall daily effect, either. Also, my anxiety isn't constant. I might get questions at work if I'm prepping every 4 hours. That begs the question, how long can it sit?
You have the very pleasant option of doing both, and many do.

It can sit for three days in the fridge no prob. Several hours unrefrigerated.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
If you're very worried about questions, you could just buy one of those fancy iced coffee beverages that they sell everywhere these days and save the bottle and replace with prepped kava. It really does pretty much look like coffee with creamer. Though that makes it seem shady; and kava isn't shady.

P.S. You might have to play around with different kinds to figure out what works best for you. There are 6 major kavalactones and a number of minor ones. Some of them or combinations of them are better for anxiety than others (but I still haven't figured it out!). But I would guess at lower (sub-recreational) doses, it wouldn't matter as much.

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I bought the strainer you suggested. How does one clean/maintain a strainer?
I'm probably not the best person to ask on that one! I usually just shake mine out and rinse it in warm water. Sometimes I even just throw it the fridge to clean later. I don't even think I always get every bit of the old makas out, though I try (sometimes it sticks in the seam). Once in awhile I wash it with soap and water (particularly after drinking KF's Kava Supreme) if a kava makes it real stiff and yellow looking. And I really only do that cause I don't want it to get clogged (which I don't even know if is really possible).

Ben Morris

Kava Curious
I bought some cheese cloth and doubled it up. Made some with 4 tbsp, 12 oz water, and 4 oz coconut milk. I added more liquid than I wanted because I didn't have enough liquid to knead. It didn't occur to me till later to use more liquid, but use more kava to make more than one dose. I feel something. It's mellow. Think I'm going to go make some more. This time, I'll make more than one portion's worth now that I know it can keep in the fridge .

Ben Morris

Kava Curious
For at work shelling, you can mix micronized in a regular shaker bottle. Give it a shake whenever you drink some. Nothing weird about that, all kinds of people have shaker bottles filled with some kind of elixir.
I'm a teacher, so I'm going to be a little cautious. Once I figure out how to make it and what my tolerances are, I may just do that. Thanks for the idea.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I'm a teacher, so I'm going to be a little cautious. Once I figure out how to make it and what my tolerances are, I may just do that. Thanks for the idea.
Seems smart. Of course if anyone asks all you probably gotta says is "herbal tea." I find pretty much nobody asks follow-up questions to that answer. But probably best not accidentally get overkrunked at work. BTW, most people would consider 4 tablespoons in 16 oz pretty weak. Again, however, that's a matter of personal preference. I never have trouble kneading 4 tbs even in 8 oz of water (but maybe you got a broad bowl).

Ben Morris

Kava Curious
Serious question: if I drink it all in one minute, does it matter if it was in 8 oz or 16 oz? Either way, all of the substance is consumed in the same amount of time, right?
I had a problem kneading it because I used a big bowl and cheese cloth. Looking forward to getting a bonafide strainer.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Serious question: if I drink it all in one minute, does it matter if it was in 8 oz or 16 oz? Either way, all of the substance is consumed in the same amount of time, right?
I had a problem kneading it because I used a big bowl and cheese cloth. Looking forward to getting a bonafide strainer.
I really don't know. I'd Imagine so. You might have to make more trips to the restroom. I actually think really potent kavas like some of the stuff from Kava Time might be fine at that kava-water ratio. But I am pretty sure most people mix it stronger. Now that I think of it, I made some Dokobana Vula tonight at pretty close to that ratio, and it hit me plenty hard (though I made 32 oz). But if you are aiming for smaller doses more frequently, then it might be optimal. Certainly less bitter tasting. Its not gonna hurt you either way.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Where should I store my kava root grind? Freezer?
The dry unused grind is fine in a bag or jar in your cupboard or pantry. Wet used makas should be stored in the fridge overnight at most, like if you did one wash, then put it in the fridge overnight, did a second wash next day, that is fine. Wet makas that have already had two washes or will not be used in the next day or so should IMO go in the freezer till ready for later washes.

Last edited:

Ben Morris

Kava Curious
I got my bag in. Sooo much easier than using cheesecloth... I haven't done it since having 12 tbsp in 3 cups that first night because I went out of town. I think I probably overdid it. I didn't get much out of it that night, but felt out of it the next day. Just kind of lackadaisical. I made another 12 tbsp in 3 cups today, but have only had one cup. Is there a recommended way to approach going through RTs? Also, if one doesn't drink for a while, do they have to go through RTs again?