Change background image

noob prep issues/aluball

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by rapunzel, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

It looks like you have gotten a lot of great suggestions. The truth is if you drink kava long enough you will go through and try multiple ways of preparing. Traditional, aluball, blender, rolling pin, make your own extract, make your own microgrind, espresso maker....all have positives and negatives. Sooner or later you will settle on your favorite one or two that provide you the experience you want within the given time convenience you want to spend. I tend to do traditional prep 80% of the time and use my aluball for quick preps or travel. I guess my point is (since I am just rambling) is feel free to try multiple different prep methods until you find what is good for you. I find it part of the fun of drinking kava.
    rapunzel likes this.
  2. rapunzel

rapunzel Kava Enthusiast

Indeed, still enjoying kava since this original post from a year ago. I still primarily use the aluball and I have my go to kavas, and I occasionally branch out and sample new ones. Good stuff.
  3. Pakavalolo

Pakavalolo New Member

I have a fairly noob prep question that I thought would be appropriate to post here...

Does anyone use coconut oil to emulsify their root before a traditional prep?

I have some that I would like to use, to have the coconut fat extract more KL's out of the root. Should I apply it directly to the root and knead it for a bit? Should I just put it on my hands? Both? Am I waisting my time with it? Any input or tips on using Coconut oil during prep would be helpful, Mahalo.
    Intrepidus_dux likes this.
  4. Intrepidus_dux

Intrepidus_dux Kava Enthusiast

It's a waste of time in my opinion. I have a buddy who insists on putting what I call "fluff" into the grog. This fluff consists of coconut oil and fancy cinnamon. The effects are the same. What matters most is how long you knead it.