What's new

Ohhhh sweet nausea...

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
So today before I ran out to the market, I decided to take some of GHK's Papa Ele Ele micro...

I mixed it around in some blueberry juice, using 4 spoonfuls (not tablespoons, just regular silver spoon) and I noticed the effects almost immediately. Within 5 minutes I my eyes and my entire body got heavy. A nice effect. The kind I'm almost always down for...

But about 40 minutes later after I had moved around a bit and got home I felt like I was going to vomit and had to lie down immediately. I legit thought I could puke any second, and didn't wanna take the chance...

Do you think it was the certain strain, or just the fact that I took too much? Maybe in the future with Papa I should only take 3 spoonfuls?

D

Deleted User01

@Shredder, been doing Papa Ele Ele for a while but "without blueberry juice" with no ill effects. Tone it down to water, club soda or ginger ale and then let us know. Also, measure your dose. I do about 2 tablespoons over an hour in about 6 oz of Ginger Ale, Ice and Lime. I don't chug it, I sip it. Lots of room for improvement here. I remember when my buddies got sick on Whisky and coca cola because the sugar and other stuff from the cokes was killing them. Also, they would make one drink with 1/4 of a bottle. :banghead: Yeah, the original
40 oz coke. :LOL: FYI, I only do water/ice when I drink whisky. Make a few adjustments to your technique and let us know if it helps.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
You can take kava with ginger ale? All this time I figured that the carbonation might fuck it up...

R

Rookietwoshoes

Boroguru makes me feel pretty nasty and nauseous too. Finding a kava strain that works really well with your chemistry is like finding the right pair of shoes.

The regular silver spoons you're using are probably teaspoons. The sugar in the juice adds up with each shell and doesn't help matters any despite it killing the taste. @Deleted User01 is spot on with the ginger ale and club soda route.

It takes experimentation to figure out the right dosage for yourself . Don't be so quick to supersize an unknown strain. Start off with several teaspoons and add up with each subsequent dosage to ultimately create a personal formula with each strain. It might sound like a little work but it pays off in the end. It sucks to waste kava and end up feeling crappy.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Drinking unstrained kava can also be the culprit. I'm guessing maybe the equivalent amount of coarse ground, prepared and strained root probably wouldn't have had you feeling like vomiting.

It's a good idea to have a ginger beer or some kind of antiemetic on hand in case of emergency.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah try lowering the dose first. If you are heaping those spoon servings could very well be over 4tbsp...depending on it's size.

What I like to do when mixing with anything carbonated is to make a kava "syrup" first. Just whisk your root with small amount of water and some flavoring if needed. Then combine with soda. Stirring in sofa kills the bubbles often for me.

starscolliding

Kava Curious
This is definitely part of the Kava journey. I've thrown up three times doing kava over a 3 year period and I think I now understand the balances involved. There is something in Kava that is repellant that does indeed make one want to not eat it and directly suggests to the body that it should throw up. I think I read that it is a chemical that makes animals not want to eat it, so it has an evolutionary purpose? So anything that makes it 'more gross' is even harder to deal with. One of my bad events was with micronized. I think the latest batches of GHK micronized are even smaller than before? Basically, having that gritty quality doesn't help matters. I personally get much closer to that state on micronized than with other forms. That said, I did just buy 2 new bags of micronized from them as I want to explore the new size. This issue is very personal. Everyone responds a bit differently to the different forms and tastes.

Re-reading your post, I just realized something. I personally find naseau and throwing up to be two different things, though extreme naseau can cause throwing up. For naseau, as is mentioned above, ginger is the trick. Even with Wow, it is a totally different experience for me with ginger. However - be careful - things with the word 'ginger' on them aren't necessarily ginger, such as most ginger ale's at Safeway. I like "Bruce Cost" brand and Reeds "Extra Ginger" version. 26 grams of ginger in there per bottle! That is the highest verified content I know of. This will indeed make a difference on the naseau. A big difference.

However, people are talking about putting it in with the kava? I can't do that. For me it foams a ton when I combine them, and I'm back to the throwing up thing :). So I use it as a chaser. I started with Pellegrino style blood orange or aranicita, those both deal with the taste much quicker and better than Reed's, but don't help with the nasuea. I had tried Kava in those too, but the foaming was no good for me back then as well. Similarly, I know some people blend micronized for a minute and then drink it, that adds a lot of air to the mixture, and again, as that goes down I'm back at wanting to throw up. Guess I'm a bit delicate. The easiest one of those two to find is the Reeds Extra Ginger, give that a try as a chaser. There are a bunch of other premium ginger brands like Bruce Cost as well that use real actual ginger in high qualities. My wife makes her own with lime and real ginger and soda water. If you can put your kava in it and deal with the foam, all the better as you don't want soooo much liquid.

The other thing I learned on this forum about nasuea is when doing something like Wow, I do a full cup and then do it again 30 or 40 minutes later. A full cup can be a lot. There is some known chemical that grows in concentration in the blood too quickly if you take that much at once. So the recommendation is to do half, wait no less than 8 min and don't wait too much longer, and finish the cup. The kavain and other good things will still properly grow to high levels but the one that causes nasuea will be moderated quite a bit. I don't acutally know how well this works, but 'seems' to help. It is just something someone else claimed was good to do.

And realize that with blends like Wow or Stone, well, naseau even if moderated is part of this game. Even a few tbs of instant will cause some naseau.

Do we know if the naseau is from anything other than the 5 main kavalactones? I know one of them is very involved, was it DHK? But maybe there is another chemical as well? And I don't think the one that makes one want to regurgitate it is from one of the 5 kavalactones?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I think it might be your dose, I know when I drink the Nene and the Opihikao too strong and too fast or even too much then my head starts to spin too much and I feel like I want to puke, that might be what you experienced. Like if you get real dizzy and people get car sick. I have wondered if this is what causes it and so far it seems that way. My kava is very heady and you need to find your right dose. I hope it works well next time, aloha.

Chris

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
So today before I ran out to the market, I decided to take some of GHK's Papa Ele Ele micro...

I mixed it around in some blueberry juice, using 4 spoonfuls (not tablespoons, just regular silver spoon) and I noticed the effects almost immediately. Within 5 minutes I my eyes and my entire body got heavy. A nice effect. The kind I'm almost always down for...

But about 40 minutes later after I had moved around a bit and got home I felt like I was going to vomit and had to lie down immediately. I legit thought I could puke any second, and didn't wanna take the chance...

Do you think it was the certain strain, or just the fact that I took too much? Maybe in the future with Papa I should only take 3 spoonfuls?
I think it is just something that happens with Kava once in a while. I am sensitive in most areas having to do with Kava, yet I still drink it because it helps with my alcoholic cravings. So I get super dry and it sometimes makes me nauseous- however I usually combat nausea with eating some kind of a starchy food or drinking ginger tea (homemade is better than store bought) . Maybe try mixing it with something else next time- tropical fruit drinks are wonderful because they seem to be like a liquid squeegee as far as getting the kava off your tongue after a shell.

D

Deleted User01

You can take kava with ginger ale? All this time I figured that the carbonation might fuck it up...
Yes you can. Put a couple of ounces in a glass and add your 2 tablespoons of Micronized or Instant. Stir well good. The small amount will lose the carbonation. Now add lime juice or not, ice and fill up with fresh cold carbonated ginger ale or whatever. Stick a spoon in it because you should stir is gently every once in a while.
Fruit juice is very acidic and that's why I jumped on the blueberry juice. I have been known to make Kava Kaladas but I will dilute the pineappple juice with carbonated water or plain water. Its just too sweet and acidic and the juice alone can give me heartburn. Anyway watch your dose and drink it with something that is bland and see how it goes. Ginger Ale is said to be good for the tummy so I have one of those a day. However, any subsequent shells are just pure water. I can't drink more than about 6 ozs of any soft drink.

Jade

Love. Like. Crazy.
There are some kavas that are stronger for my body chemistry than others. Sounds like this may be one that you need to tone it down a little and take a smaller dose. Here while back the Boroguru did the same thing to me. After decreasing my doses and spacing them out, it got better and I did not deal with the nausea and spinning room anymore. Sometimes a sign of a potent kava for me!!! So you might try taking it easier and see what happens.

verticity

I'm interested in things
DHM, which is very high in tudei kavas, is the kavalactone usually suspected of causing nausea.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
So how about schweppes? Or however you say that.. Is that real ginger ale or shit?

And from now on, I'm just not going to go over 3 spoonfuls, or 2 tablespoonfuls.

Oh right, and I just remembered! Aside from the dose, the speed at which you drink it can also affect the experience?!?!?

R

Rookietwoshoes

Probably a good idea to figure out what size spoon you're using. Two tablespoons of instant can be a lot for some

Krunkmaster

You only live Once
i love wow, i think it is important to find a good strain that sits well with you, and find the right amount to use and make sure you strain it well!!!!

starscolliding

Kava Curious
Right - DHM, that is it. Chris from GHK - one of you guys (Kava distributors) or some together to share costs should figure out what the chemical is that makes people want to not drink it at all, the one that gets the immediate 'this doens't belong in my stomach' reaction. Maybe it will be chemically unique enough so it can be removed in an instant formula? I think DHM does cause naseau, but I think something else causes the distinct immediate retching reflex from drinking kava.

Schwepps - I don't think there is one grain of real ginger in there. Chemical engineering only for that one, I looked at the ingredients. Reeds Extra Ginger!!! :)

D

Deactivated Account

Right - DHM, that is it. Chris from GHK - one of you guys (Kava distributors) or some together to share costs should figure out what the chemical is that makes people want to not drink it at all,
Ahh that would be the 'double fetid badger guts' molecule. It's added by kava suppliers at packaging so as it cannot be confused with airline food which uses the single molecule.