What's new

passion flower & valerian vs KAVA ?

stopwatch

Just doing my research. Basically I am looking for an alternative to anti anxiety medication, and I have just ordered my first batch of Kava. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how kava rates against other 'natural' product such as passion flower and valerian which are also supposed to be good for anxiety? Also, my problem seems to be that I just get stressed pretty easily these days and Ive given up the weed which used to chill me out but then started making me paranoid and increasing my anxiety. Will the Kava likely chill me out and reduce my stress?

Thanks again people, this is a fantastic community!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Absolutely. Kava is the quarterback of natural anxiety relief. I think you'll find just what you're looking for. Kava keeps little situations their true size, little. Kava keeps me from easily taking offense and making mountains from mole hills. The really great part is that it will follow you into your next day and continue to help ease situations that would normally aggravate you.

Also, no tolerance. I've been drinking the same amount of kava daily for the last 8 or so years (honestly I can't even remember how long it's been...let's just say a long time)

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
Stopwatch, as I get older I've been finding myself getting more easily prone to stress and Anxiety (note the big A there) and quite frankly some really self defeating mind crap. Or maybe I am just more aware of it now (not sure if you call that wisdom).. And lately I just changed jobs..so I am even more of a stress puppy. The Kava has been sort of a buffer for me against those instant knee jerk trigger like emotional reactions. I tried valerian and a couple of other herbal things over the years. None of them seem to have had the impact of Kava (once I got over the reverse tolerance). Can't say what your experience will be, for sure, but for many Kava is a definitely positive thing.. Keep reading.. Lots of good info here for you.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've tried several different herbal solutions and honestly never found one that had any effect on me at all. Kava, prepared properly, is the real deal. (I say prepared properly because my first kava experience was eating an entire bottle of kava root pills which didn't do anything other than give me peppery burps). Lots of people find that kava has a multi-day anxiolytic effect e.g. it helps not just while the kava is active.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I've tried several different herbal solutions and honestly never found one that had any effect on me at all. Kava, prepared properly, is the real deal. (I say prepared properly because my first kava experience was eating an entire bottle of kava root pills which didn't do anything other than give me peppery burps). Lots of people find that kava has a multi-day anxiolytic effect e.g. it helps not just while the kava is active.
I don't know, I ordered this stuff, and it does work Amazon product Problem I have with it, is, it messes with my Valium taper. But 10 grams of this stuff, will through anyone on the couch. This Valerian, is like Kava. It takes the real root, not the capsules to get desired effects. Much Love. Roaddog....

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Just doing my research. Basically I am looking for an alternative to anti anxiety medication, and I have just ordered my first batch of Kava. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how kava rates against other 'natural' product such as passion flower and valerian which are also supposed to be good for anxiety? Also, my problem seems to be that I just get stressed pretty easily these days and Ive given up the weed which used to chill me out but then started making me paranoid and increasing my anxiety. Will the Kava likely chill me out and reduce my stress?

Thanks again people, this is a fantastic community!
I think you'll find kava is much more noticeable than the herbs you mentioned. If I were to take a dose of one of those, I may feel a slight calm from it, might not. Kava on the other hand is quite noticeable. At larger doses, many people use kava for an alcohol replacement. The same can't be said for valerian root or passion flower. Whether smaller doses will help you personally with anxiety, only you will know. The FDA doesn't allow me as a kava vendor to tell you to use it to treat anxiety, but I can tell you that a lot of people do use it for that purpose. I am on the front line with regular kava drinkers who use it for a range of reasons because we also have a kava bar, and we have a lot of customers who are very happy they've found kava.

Be aware that different kava cultivars can have drastically different effects. Some will fit you better than others. Hopefully the first one you purchased works wonders. If not, and you want to talk about some of our products, feel free to shoot me a message and we'll see if one of our offerings fits your needs.

KavaCat

Meow.
Kava is what I use for anxiety, and I have taken passionflower and valerian myself. The problem with the passionflower and valerian is that you will start getting a tolerance REALLY fast. Unless you only take it VERY occasionally, it's worthless. Valerian is the worse of the two, you can still usually feel passionflower after a couple of uses, although it will feel milder... but Valerian is something you become 100% tolerant to in no time, flat. Two or three uses, and you're going to feel absolutely nothing from it. You just can't take it regularly at all. It'll knock you out if you take it less than once a month, I'd say, but that's all.
Kava has been absolute magic. Not only do I feel relaxed and happy, it does it without making me feel like I'm completely out of my head. It doesn't drastically change my personality, nor make me lacking in judgment, like euphoriants. It does lower my inhibitions a bit, but I would say that it's not in the same senseless way as alcohol. It's more like it's bringing out my true personality, I think. I daydream constantly, about being outgoing. :( It's just that my brain chemicals don't agree.