What's new

Pineapple IS the answer!

dr phalloid

Kava Enthusiast
I should have known the experts are right!! Since day one I've been trying to figure it how to make the taste tolerable. Today I bought a fresh pineapple at the grocery store. I'm mixing my micronized with cold sweet tea, chugging it, rinsing my mouth out with more sweet tea, and then popping a piece of fresh pineapple into my mouth. Trying to hold my breath through as much of that process as possible. Finally I found an answer!
hi I make normal milk tea kava+find that lovely I add one drop ginger oil for any possible nausea.but did swap milks once and used coconut milk instead it was gorgeous,well worth trying the combination of ginger+coconut takes the taste of kava away.i make my kava tea with sweetners or honey that adds to flavour.ive been drinking kava 7 years now+have never drunk it neat,its to bitter so I chuck a few tea bags in a jug pour boiling water over it add my lechitin+topup with cold water add powder+blend for 2 minutes strain then pour grog in shell add sweetner of choice add milk warm in microwave on low setting till heated not boiling,and drink at my own leisure.what you have is a tasty peppery creamy shell of kava.have tasted grog neat and its a aquered taste to say the least.

ta-va

Earth Bound
I do like a little chunk of pineapple as a chaser (also a menthol airwaves chewy will do), but I find kava trad prep taste repugnant enough that adding anything in just will not go. (will make it even worse)

I've learnt to appreciate the tastes in this way. You do have to force yourself to taste it. Some are Piney / mild / woody / like drinking birch sap (I like these the best - Fijian Loa Waka e.g. or PouniOno (Tonga)).

Some are peppery / spicy / pungent. ( more the Vanuatu cultivars, I've found) but when you get the effects hit you just KNOW they are the most noble.

Some taste just off (I wonder if they are out-of-date and mill-dewed)? - I'm not sure I always see date of packing or harvesting on the packs. I would want to see this. I think it's important. These impart the most nauseous feelings on me and I'm sometimes wondering if it's because it's an old batch or if it's tudei.

In all cases, I've found that having on hand some fresh pineapple, ginger tea, peppermint tea and plenty of water have almost always staved off any nausea.

Definitely keep hydrated. And bear in mind what others are doing around eating habits.

dr phalloid

Kava Enthusiast
Wait can you re organize that recipe for us ??
yeah sure thing ill be as simple as I can.place a couple of tea bags+teaspoon of lechitih in a litre jug add boiling water just enough to infuse,then top up with cold water add required amountof kava powder+blend 2 minutes.strain through bag(I use a Fijian strainer)and your grog is readyto go.then I pour in shell add 1 drop ginger oil sweeten with honey +warm on low setting in microwave for 2 minutes.then its ready to drink your left with a warm creamy sweet+peppery flavoured kava which can be drunk at your own pace,no need to neck it as it tastes gorgeous sip away+enjoy.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I guess if you dig orange juice, but that just seems acidic and a lot of heavy fluid on the stomach per Kava session if you went straight OJ, IMO.
I find making a drink out of 1TBS homemade instant with 8 oz orange juice blended in a smoothie maker is nice in the morning. I couldn’t see mixing grog with orange juice, though I can’t think of anything against it if that is what people like.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
So the pineapple juice idea is all about taste, not about increasing potency in any way, right ?
If we're just talking about taste, a rather simple idea is to just keep around some cocoa powder and sweetener.

Last edited: