Change background image

Kava Poll Positive effects vs. Negative effects *poll*

Discussion in 'In-Depth Kava Discussion' started by sɥɐʞɐs, Oct 4, 2018.

?
  1. 90%-100% pleasurable and/or positive effects, 0%-10% negative effects.

2. 70% positive, 30% negative.

3. 50% positive, 50% negative.

4. 30% positive, 70% negative.

5. 0%-10% positive, 90%-100% negative.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Henry

Henry . Moderator The Kava Society of New Zealand

I def agree that clean roots and less skin = less nausea. It is to be expected that the most bitter phytochemicals are in the skin.
  2. SelfBiasResistor

SelfBiasResistor Persist for Resistance!

I am aware that the noble heavyweights do contain much more K than DHM and that's the way it should be. For me, high K/moderate DHM does not mean worse nausea (or other side effects) than I would experience with the common moderate(or low) K/low DHM product on the market. DHM being #3 or #4 AND being of significant quantity makes a highly desirable drink for me. It's also not uncommon for people to experience significant nausea from kava featuring higher levels of K and low DHM so there is more to the science of kava side effects than K to DHM ratio.
  3. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

@sɥɐʞɐs I have definitely had intermittent gastrointestinal issues like you describe where I feel very bloated, full, and nausea - but a different nausea then normal over consumption nausea. This is more a direct stomach issue then the what I call normal heady kava nausea. I found that a combination of gas-x (simethicone), antacids and high quality probiotics have helped get me back to normal when it did hit. The simethicone is very much an immediate relief (~1/2hr after taking) and then I follow up with several days of proboitcs to get me back to normal. Antiacid is sometimes helpful but usually only if I ate a bunch of crap right after my kava and now I have that as well - but not usually a direct cause of the kava.
    I will admit that for a long time I thought the probiotic craze was nothing but a new "health" fad but a few years ago my wife had issues and went to a top-notch gastroenterologist. In addition to many other things she was prescribed probiotics and it definitely helped her (as part of an overall diet change). I probably should use them more often but tend to forget - but I have found them very helpful to get over stomach issues quickly. In fact I could probably throw them right in with my kava...
    Kapmcrunk likes this.
  4. Summer

Summer mercy triumphs over judgment

When I first started drinking kava, my sessions were always wonderful. Chatty, carefree, no anxiety, etc. Now, I find myself thinking about if it's working, thinking about how I can't really afford to be drinking this, wondering if I really need it anymore. It was such a life-saver to me coming off of Klonopin.

Have you tried ginger? The real, raw, organic root? I chop a tiny piece off and chew it up and eat it. It works every single time for my stomach nausea. A little goes a long way.
    Krunʞy, Kavashua and Mrbinx69 like this.
  5. Mrbinx69

Mrbinx69 Kava Enthusiast

I still feel kava but the time has come for me to relax about it lol. Take it slower and enjoy it when I want it and just be grateful it doesn't punish you by being addictive so I actually can enjoy it in moderation unlike all my other vices throughout my life
    Krunʞy likes this.
  6. Henry

Perhaps not uncommon, but def less common than in the case of high DHM kava, which is my point.

You also claim you experience this or that from kavas with this or that level of DHM or other lactones. On what are you basing your actual knowledge of kavalactone concentration? Even if we were to assume that the chemotype listed alongside the product's name was accurate and correct for every bag of every batch (which is certainly not guaranteed), the actual concentrations of specific kavalactones matter perhaps even more than the chemotype. And few vendors post HPLC results of their kava for every batch.
    How do you know how much DHM or DHK does you current bag of supreme have?
  7. tarragon

tarragon Member

Try using honey on your pits instead of deodorant. It works a charm squelching odors before they start and it relieves the pain of a rash and helps it clear up more quickly.(raw unfiltered honey, preferably organic)
  8. SelfBiasResistor

SelfBiasResistor Persist for Resistance!

Yep, lack of batch testing and/or the sharing of results is still an issue so all we have to go by is what the vendors are willing to show us but kavain and DHM are two KLs that are easily felt when they are present, especially in significant qualities. FWIW, I have not noticed a significant difference in stomach discomfort whether the product is certified noble, generally known to be not noble or unlabeled but having strong DHM effects into the afternoon of the next day. My stomach discomfort, probably 95% of the time, occurs during drinking and wears off a couple hours after I stop even if the heavy KLs are still in full effect.
  9. Henry

With all due respect, I don't think your own consumption patterns can be of much relevance or informative value to an average kava drinker (not to mention a new kava drinker). If I remember correctly, you consume in excess of 200-300% of the amount of kava classified as "extremely heavy" by studies into kava consumption patterns and effects. Most people would not leave the bathroom if they were to consume just a tiny fraction of your regular kava intake, regardless of nobility, chemotype etc ;)
    You clearly have an iron stomach, extreme tolerance to kava, unique metabolism or all of the above lol. :D

Well, for all it's worth, I've been doing HPLC analysis of the kava we get for our kava society and have noticed a clear correlation between the amount of DHM and taste/nausea. This appears to be confirmed by the literature.
    At the same time, I would agree that kavalactones in general can give people nausea and it is possible to feel this way after any kind of kava.
  10. recentreturn

recentreturn Kava Enthusiast

Man, that sounds like a practical joke; but thank you. I actually found that if I use an antiperspirant version instead of the regular, its not as bad. Also, topical application of coconut oil seems to help in general. But it doesn't change the fact that I'm due for a dermo break.
  11. tarragon

tarragon Member

Oh no, I feel a new headline coming on: Florida man camping wakes up to find She-bear in tent licking his armpits. Blames it on kava.
    recentreturn likes this.
  12. tarragon

tarragon Member

No joke, it really works for rashes, especially if they are painful. I have not had Dermoptera yet so I don't know if it works for that kind of rash. I'm really curious to find out so it would be a service to KF research if you try it and report back! Enjoy your break. Spell check wrote Dermoptera, I kinda like it, sounds like a flying lizard.
  13. recentreturn

recentreturn Kava Enthusiast

No offense, but I'm probably not gonna try it, cause it sounds too sticky.
    I totally thought of pterodactyl when I saw dermotera!!! Then I googled it and...
    [​IMG]
    tarragon likes this.
  14. Jesse

Jesse New Member

I sometimes get an anxious and nervous feeling from kava, does anyone else get this? Btw, I'm new to the forum. Why cant I post threads?
  15. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

is it a short feeling or a long duration? Many people get brief feelings at the beginning of a kava drinking session but it goes away. OTOH, some people feel it so strong they have to avoid kava and then most people don't feel any anxiousness or nervousness at all with kava.
  16. muddywaters

muddywaters Kava Enthusiast

After drink for so long that I think I have an opinion here I would say...

Pros: Something for everyone under its spectrum of effects, there's a lot of ways to prepare it, impossible for me to panic on it, makes sleeping easier, impossible to be physically addictive (in my experience if I use a lot in 4-5 days in a row which doesn't happen much anyways I'll get some stimulant like bounce back after a day of not having it but it's easy to wait out, never progresses beyond that).

Cons: can cause some bloating or other digestive issues depending on person and how much you use, dermo wherever you're prone to it but that seems to arise from long term use anyways (with me hands and lips are sensitive to it) but all you need to do to reverse it stop using it so it's not permanent, if you have more than you can handle you can become lethargic and depressed, some people can't stand the taste or how long it takes to prep it, the price.

So a lot of the cons are mostly from the the roughness on the body of ground root itself and it only gets to be a bit too much for some further down the line. If your a heavier drinker and tend to have a lot at once for days when you do you're probably going need a more nutrient dense diet and learn how to balance it with daily life but it also won't prevent you from doing anything either. I'll sometimes get that initial anxiety upon drinking but I'm pretty sure that's only my body reacting to the sudden ingestion of kava physically before getting to work on it because it always disappears and I can sleep on it well later. I would say the dermo is the worst aspect of it if you get it, everything else is easily manageable if you have control. Except the price, can't do anything about that besides knowing what you like and normally use and stick to it without going overboard.
  17. Transcent

Transcent Kava saved my life

could it be because of reverse tolerance? In theory RT is achieved because kavalactones are built up in your system which then potentiates any additional kavalactones you ingest right? Could it be that your body does not tolerate all the extra lactones built up in your body rather than the kava itself?