What's new

Product Alert - Starwest Botanicals

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Just did some more testing, stems w/bark don't give nearly this high a peak. I would estimate this to be ~80% aerial bark or leaves. The other 20% could be root, it's hard to tell because kavalactones are present in stems, bark, and leaves.
Remember that the leaves are over 95% DHK and DHM, the other kavalactones are in very small quantities. the kavalactone change from the 6 to the 2 is successive as you go up the plant, meaning that the stalks will have more of the 6 kavalactones than the leaves but less than the roots and it will get to the point, "the leaves" where you will not see very much other than the DHK and the DHM and in small quantities. The Isa leave tested at 5% so you can see that it is a low #, the Hawaiian varieties tested there leaves at about 2%.
I think that this is the reason there is no effect with this kava, tudei or not, it simply seems to be a very low quality kava with parts of the kava plant that should not be there and that makes it even lower in quality.
Thanks Deleted User for the testing and thanks @shakas for sending him the sample to test. Aloha.

Chris

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I'd be surprised if they know, and if they did I doubt they would care. Nutraceutical companies in the US are extremely unethical as a rule.
nah not as a rule, but the unethical ones much of the time are really unethical making it seem this way with the coverage & attention, that being said it seems many of the companies specializing in selling kava are to say the least irresponsible

Last edited:

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Remember that the leaves are over 95% DHK and DHM, the other kavalactones are in very small quantities. the kavalactone change from the 6 to the 2 is successive as you go up the plant, meaning that the stalks will have more of the 6 kavalactones than the leaves but less than the roots and it will get to the point, "the leaves" where you will not see very much other than the DHK and the DHM and in small quantities. The Isa leave tested at 5% so you can see that it is a low #, the Hawaiian varieties tested there leaves at about 2%.
I think that this is the reason there is no effect with this kava, tudei or not, it simply seems to be a very low quality kava with parts of the kava plant that should not be there and that makes it even lower in quality.
Thanks Deleted User for the testing and thanks @shakas for sending him the sample to test. Aloha.
First of all I want to thank you @Deleted User for being such a kava-trailblazer. (y) Sometimes an offensive approach is the only way to tackle such matters (at least to bring them in the limelight). Yes it's understandable that a cultivar may be accidentally adulterated without their intent but imho that doesn't appear to be the case. In any case, when more than a few cultivars exhibit strong tudei overtones it becomes rather disconcerting.

Now if you're wondering why I quoted you Chris ....well in a nutshell this event's 'leaving' ::;)2:: me at the end of a fish scented bait line dipped in whaddya know ...cinnamon; so I also wanted to say I appreciate your participation as well in the many threads similar to this one.(y) It doesn't suffice to say that many of these "botanical" companies (not all of them of course) whom attempt to associate kava with other suspect "herbals"; tend to be despicable and they have no grounds to represent themselves as such. In saying that I'd still be more than happy to have them virtually sit down with the lot of us to work out any concerns proposed. I mean, thats what kavaforums's all about right guys/gals?:D::happyshell::

Last edited:

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Very nice follow through Garry. This needs to be addressed immediately with the potential this product has for reaching stores nationwide. Starwest is sold through one of the largest if not the largest distributor of vendor's supplements across the US to stores & websites throughout the world.
With alarming finds such as this and the tudei lacing I think we've been lucky so far the negligence has not harmed more people, leading to a potential ban.

Introspect

Kava Curious
Guess I should have searched for Starwest on the forums here before I ingested what I just got from a local health shop. Waiting on my first order of 'real' Kava and decided to stop by the shop I got my tincture from a week ago (my first experience with Kava). They had just got the shipment in so she was still bagging the powder up and sold me an ounce for like $4. I asked her if she knew the origin and chemotype and she just showed me the bag it came in that was labeled 'Starwest Botanicals' and origin 'Fiji'. I had planned on sending Deleted User a sample, but I see now I should have searched the forums first. I wondered why I wasn't impressed at all (been almost an hour since I drank it), and now I see. Hopefully that one batch won't cause me any issues. I will definitely be letting the owner of that store know about this. Thank you for all you do @Deleted User .

Last edited:

kavatester

Kava Curious
wow.....this is exactly what i expected and feared...i work in the supplement industry and can vouch for the fact that this kava is used to make many many kava containing pills and extracts.