What's new

R.I.P Two Day Kava

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Excellent news indeed. Once again, Garry, thank you so much for keeping us all up to date and in the loop.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I have got 4 kava vendors here on the Big Island to commit to stop selling Isa and they will only be selling 100% noble Hawaiian kava or other Noble kava from the South Pacific. This is great news indeed. I will be talking to other vendors on the outer Islands too.
Soon it will be like it was in the old days when you did not have to worry about tudei kava. (y) The kava will be sooooo good. :hungry:
Dr Schmidt was here on the Big Island a few days ago getting samples of my Hawaiian kava for his research and taking pictures of all the Hawaiian kava plants. We talked a lot about what was going on and it is all good news, we are moving forward in a great way. Aloha.

Chris

verticity

I'm interested in things
This is good news.. but, playing Devil's Advocate here, I have mixed feelings about actually making tudei illegal, rather than simply enforcing labeling standards. As we have discussed here, for some it does have legitimate medical uses.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Once the Codex standards are in place, the FDA should be changing their definition of Piper methysticum.
Does this mean the FDA is actively listening to this process, or "should" in the hopeful sense? And any news on the liver warning being lifted as part of this?

verticity

I'm interested in things
As far as I know, medicinal cultivars are only identified in Vanuatu and Hawaii. The Kava Act prohibits their export from Vanuatu, but there is some good information out there about Hawaiian medicinal use, Nene is a prime example.

But medicinal cultivars are not to be confused with two days; they have an FK content very similar to noble. Dr. Lebot states: "...for flavokavains, their content is similar to nobles and their effect is not as good as noble, but nothing like twodays."
Right, but I'm talking about people with for example muscle pain who might use high DHM strains for the extreme muscle-melting effect/pain relief.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Correct me if Im wrong, but dont we have "noble" kava's that can melt muscles? lol...I cant be crazy, I remember reading many reviews that people mentioned just that..strong melting muscle pain relief, and they were reviewing a noble product..In my eyes that should be more then enough to get off the 2day kava bandwagon, and getcha self some nice strong "body" kava and melt your muscles safely! :)

verticity

I'm interested in things
There are plenty of 245xxx kavas out there that are noble, but this will knock out all x5xxxx. Larger dose of 245xxx should work fine, and without so many side effects.
IMO tudei should be legal, but required to be clearly labeled with appropriate warnings. I understand the argument about potential liver problems with tudei giving all of kava a bad name. But on the other hand, it is depriving people of something that some people want and like. I think the big problem now is that tudei is being sold as noble to unaware consumers. Strict testing and labeling requirements would fix that without going so far as making it illegal.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yeah, it's out of our hands. I guess it is for the overall good if this will enable the ban to be lifted in places like Germany, and prevent future bans in other places.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
As far as I know, medicinal cultivars are only identified in Vanuatu and Hawaii. The Kava Act prohibits their export from Vanuatu, but there is some good information out there about Hawaiian medicinal use, Nene is a prime example.

But medicinal cultivars are not to be confused with two days; they have an FK content very similar to noble. Dr. Lebot states: "...for flavokavains, their content is similar to nobles and their effect is not as good as noble, but nothing like twodays."
When you say medicinal, does that mean the effects are stronger than the usual batch, or do they offer different benefits? What are some known medicinal kavas besides Nene?