What's new

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday Night's all-right...

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
So help me pick my Saturday night brew.

I have bags of:
  • Hanakapi'ai
  • Nene
  • Mahakea
  • Borongoru
  • Nambawan
  • Fijian no-name
I figure it's time to try out my 55 micron bag and see if it makes a difference. I'm temped to brew the Mahakea again for a third go-round with a coarser strainer, but that would use up all my Mahakea (and I'm out of Mo'i!) Any kava mixologists out there who could recommend blend or just help me pick something?

Thanks!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Nambawan & mahakea in a 3:2 ratio.

I'm not a pro mixologist like some of the people on here, but I'm generally always drinking a strong vanuatu like nambawan and something headier in that ratio.

Roaddog

Kava Who?

I'm not a pro mixologist like some of the people on here, but I'm generally always drinking a strong vanuatu like nambawan and something headier in that ratio.
Yes you are, a pro. LOL. And I have seen you post this kava combinations, before. It is a great hit hard combo. Although I only have 3 kavas to choose from. (Must be nice to have so much Kava to choose from, Steve) But One is Mahakea, from GHK. So I guess that's my advice. Either follow, kavadudes, advice, or just stick with the Mahakea. Either or, will work great for the Saturday, night kick back time. Much Love Roaddog....

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I guess, we all are having a big Kava Party at Steves. So we need @Kapmcrunk , to be our fearless leader. Next, we need our trusty pirate ship, which we Keep at @HeadHodge , of course, we must load up, @shakas , because he gets to go on every vacation. Then as we pass by the island of Texas, we will get Ol @kavadude , and @Deleted User01 . But Deleted User01, must leave Frosty at home on this one. ::frosty:: Sorry frosty, Im still nursing my stubbed finger. That dam critter of javamans, BITES. Next its off to Get some Arctic winds, by stopping by Mount Illinois to pick me up. And after I turn the TV on in the pirate ship, and adjust it to the new episode of Saterday Night Live, and then fluff out the Couch::couch::, I think we shall be ready, to Raid Steves, huge Kava bounty. Steve here has Kava stacked up like gold coins. 6 diffrent kinds to choose from even. I simply say sail the bloody ship. We could even jump across the pond, and pick up @Prince Philip , maybe jump down and pick up our Austrailian friends, maybe @nemo . Then we can get there. Free Kava for everyone, at Steves house. everyone load up on the ship. Sorry for the others I left out, You all can come too. Much Love Roaddog....

images (33).jpg

Last edited:

mitchwFSU

Kava Curious
So help me pick my Saturday night brew.

I have bags of:
  • Hanakapi'ai
  • Nene
  • Mahakea
  • Borongoru
  • Nambawan
  • Fijian no-name
I figure it's time to try out my 55 micron bag and see if it makes a difference. I'm temped to brew the Mahakea again for a third go-round with a coarser strainer, but that would use up all my Mahakea (and I'm out of Mo'i!) Any kava mixologists out there who could recommend blend or just help me pick something?

Thanks!
Wish I had my mahakea tonight, but the mailman did not comply... Oh well Stone it is. Guess I'll be sleeping in tomorrow morning.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I'm sensing the outpouring of love for Mahakea, so I think I'll try that with the 55 micron bag and see if it hits me harder than my previous two preps.

I *wish* it were so easy to assemble all you fuckers at my front door. We could lower the lights, brew a big bowl and sit around the living room playing with the PS3 and/or just listening to music and chatting. Sounds like a grand ol' time! And this is from someone with severe social anxiety!

Here's my living room:

(I WISH!)

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
So I brewed up a strong batch of Mahakea since this that's the way things seemed to go. I did it stronger than per usual, with 1 cup of Mahakea (all the rest of it!) to 3 1/2 cups of water. The usual prep, except moved up to 55 micron mesh. My 80 micron bag was too coarse (gurgle gurgle) and my 25 micron bag, while fantastic, is pretty damn fine. So I split the different (roughly) and went for the 55. We'll see if I find a happy medium here.

Yes, I changed two variables instead of just one, so that makes me a shitty scientist, but I'm dying to have the kind of Mahakea experience that @shakas and others have touted. Hopefully by the amount of mouth and tongue numbing I'm feeling with my first shell, I will finally get it.

If the experience is notably different than my previous Mahakea nights, I'll do another review because every time you do a review, @HeadHodge adopts a homeless kitten.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

Thanks for sharing (finally). ::happyshell::

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
And after I turn the TV on in the pirate ship, and adjust it to the new episode of Saterday Night Live, and then fluff out the Couch::couch::, I think we shall be ready, to Raid Steves, huge Kava bounty. Steve here has Kava stacked up like gold coins. 6 diffrent kinds to choose from even.
Well, 5 varieties now since I just used up my Mahakea tonight.

It sounds like a wealth of kava, but it's not a large quantity per... unless you count the Kalm Borongoru which I still have almost a pound of. I need to stop buying kava, or I'll be all-run-out of both my house and the kava.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well, 5 varieties now since I just used up my Mahakea tonight.

It sounds like a wealth of kava, but it's not a large quantity per... unless you count the Kalm Borongoru which I still have almost a pound of. I need to stop buying kava, or I'll be all-run-out of both my house and the kava.
Ya, I'm with you on That I often spend more than I should on Kava. LOL. But what am I going to do. My wife and I blow through several pounds of Kava a month. Here is how BKH kicks it. Wish this was my Kava stash. Much Love Roaddog....

297ccff9f90c4ea413e9e1bdff8f37f2.jpg

D

Deleted User01

Geez Louis, you guys go nuts on both Friday and Saturday. :LOL: I love Mahakea for the weekends. I love sitting on the patio chilling and listening to either birds, music, or both. I finished my Mahakea last nite and had to finish the day with some Nene. Man, that was a good combo. I felt really really good and sedated. I was still able to BBQ up a storm for the family and didn't burn anything. :rolleyes: @Steve Mariotti, you are right about that alcohol thing. You hate to drink alcohol and give up the chill and the sleep that Kava so readily contributes.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
So 55 micron was a no go for me. :-(

I had another night of gurgling, gas, burning and poor fitful sleep thanks to a gut full of makkas.

My body is telling me that 25 micron straining is where it's at. I guess that means more kneading time and more strainer bags!

D

Deleted User01

Fajas, Shakas, where'd ya get dem Makkas? The Micronized from GHK is supposed to be Macas-less. (@shakas knows what Fajas are, don't ya?)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
So 55 micron was a no go for me. :-(

I had another night of gurgling, gas, burning and poor fitful sleep thanks to a gut full of makkas.

My body is telling me that 25 micron straining is where it's at. I guess that means more kneading time and more strainer bags!
That's discouraging to hear (since I just bought one). Wonder if there is something between 25 and 55 microns?