What's new

Kava Culture "See! You can have it, so can I!" Ungodly, dirty habit.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
I'm a Christian and I believe that if you practice harm reduction and you feel a direct benefit from a substance, that it shouldn't be wrong just to take it. What's so bad about altering your consciousness? You do it all the time when you pray and meditate, so why not do it when you drink kava etc.

I can see cocaine, meth, and heroin being undesirable for alterations of consciousness though just because of the risk involved.

D

Deleted User01

Being a Christian requires common sense if you really, really want to be a "Good Christian". So you're right about the drug thing but there are so many other issues that also require common sense. My favorite saying is , "what would Jesus have done". He never preached hatred. Just peace and compassion. Doesn't mean you have to agree with everyone but you can't be a "hater". I never liked Ted Cruz because he was a "scary Christian". Trump is just a "scary guy". But at least I know where Trump is coming from.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Exactly, lots of people just quote Bible verses without considering context. Missionaries clothing the naked natives is one example of that, even though in their culture, being unclothed (save a loincloth) is perfectly acceptable and not attention grabbing.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Being a Christian requires common sense if you really, really want to be a "Good Christian". So you're right about the drug thing but there are so many other issues that also require common sense. My favorite saying is , "what would Jesus have done". He never preached hatred. Just peace and compassion. ...
Unless you were a money-changer in a temple:
…In the temple courts He found men selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and money changers seated at their tables. So He made a whip out of cords and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle. He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those selling doves He said, “Get these out of here! How dare you turn My Father’s house into a marketplace!”… - John 2:14-16
Other than that little "incident" he was pretty chill, though...

D

Deleted User01

@verticity, I guess he was not a free market economist. :D But seriously folks, what would you do if you had prostitutes and drug dealers hanging out at your local high school? He was right to run them out but he would have been more "Jesus like" if he hadn't lost his temper. By getting pissed, he was acting like a normal human. I guess the sheep and cattle crapping all over the temple may have been the final straw that broke the unsold camel's back. So he commited a sin. Like that say, "Let he who is without sin throw the first rock". When they said that, I turned around and took my sack of rocks home with me.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@verticity, I guess he was not a free market economist. :D But seriously folks, what would you do if you had prostitutes and drug dealers hanging out at your local high school? He was right to run them out but he would have been more "Jesus like" if he hadn't lost his temper. By getting pissed, he was acting like a normal human. I guess the sheep and cattle crapping all over the temple may have been the final straw that broke the unsold camel's back. So he commited a sin. Like that say, "Let he who is without sin throw the first rock". When they said that, I turned around and took my sack of rocks home with me.
Hey, I don't mean to cast stones at the Big J. Just pointing out that he was a human being capable of getting angry, like you said...

verticity

I'm interested in things
A Mormon friend of mine once explained it to me with words to the effect: "Just because we are Mormons, we do not pretend to be perfect. We strive to certain ideals; to do certain things, and to not do other things. But we are human beings, and sometimes we don't meet our own ideals. That does not make us hypocrites or non-Mormons.."

D

Deleted User01

@Veritcity, I get it, no worries. I'm not that religious. I like Jesus because he was a historical figure and did exist. And he had some really, really good ideas. And in my opinion, he was a regular guy (made in the image of man). My favorite saying is by an American. Old Benji said, "Moderation in everything". That should be the class motto around here and maybe it already is.