What's new

Snacks in a kava bar

kavayo

Kava Enthusiast
What would you like to see for snacks in a kava bar? I plan on doing cheese and sausage platters, chips, maybe some pastries from the bakery next door, possibly veggie dips (a lot of vegetarians here).

Think simple and zero kitchen prep, meaning I won't cook anything in house.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
My guess is nuts, hummus, or something else that satiates you fast without needing a lot so you don't fill your belly and kill your kruzz. Plus if a customer over does it and gets naseaus they could put something on their belly fast.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Anything ginger - it's delicious and helps with upset stomach.
I second that. Also the sausage and cheese platters = YES.

Are you familiar with tapas? A lot of them don't require cooking and they can be made into quite a number of delicious combinations. I was in Spain briefly for school and ate way too many tapas. They had them at the bar for 1 euro apiece and they were the perfect snack.

kavayo

Kava Enthusiast
I second that. Also the sausage and cheese platters = YES.

Are you familiar with tapas? A lot of them don't require cooking and they can be made into quite a number of delicious combinations. I was in Spain briefly for school and ate way too many tapas. They had them at the bar for 1 euro apiece and they were the perfect snack.
Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about; it's amazing. Will likely do something like that but I don't know if I'll be able to afford the low/free costs, if I can I'll go that route though.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Cooked greasy pepperoni always does it for me. About an 1hour-2 hours later im eating everything that my eyes come upon though.

Jalak

Kava Curious
Fresh fruit is the best kava chaser. I like pineapple personally. Also some nice spicy ginger beer is super refreshing, like AJ Stephens bottles, or Rachel's ginger beer growlers in Seattle.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Not really a snack, but: fresh water (filtered or bottled) to keep people hydrated. Fresh fruit is great during a session. Pineapple, apples, grapes, mangoes. Afterwards, pepperjack cheese and crackers.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Small non-messy 1-2 bite size things that you can pick up between thumb and forefinger.
Small steamed sweet potato (kumara), bits of manioc/plantain cooked in coconut milk. Just small bites to clean the palate between shells.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I've often wondered this myself. I am a pescetarian and moderately preachy one at that. I think your best bet would be an assortment of non alchoholic drinks, fresh fruit and some REAL easy comfort food like saffron rice, or simple pasta salad.

But don't make too much. If your guests are like me, they will be too busy krunking to want to eat much.

ALSO I once ate oysters with kava. Don't go there.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
When we opened I didn't want to serve anything but kava, but I knew people would get hungry and I wouldn't want them to leave. We didn't want to build a kitchen so we tried a few easy things. First it was sandwiches on a panini press. They were good but we didn't sell much (but really at the time we weren't selling much of anything). Then we moved to food that had a Hawaiian plate lunch feel. It was slow cooked kahlua pig and pineapple teriyaki chicken served with mac salad and rice. It was so damn good, but we still weren't selling much.

The street that we're located on in Portlland was in development when we first opened. Then about two years ago all this retail and condo development finally finished and we saw that there was a ton of food and people to eat it, but nothing healthy. We bought a commercial juicer and blender, secured an accounts with wholesalers of the ingredients, and started making fresh, healthy juices, smoothies, and acai bowls. It fits well because everything has a somewhat tropical feel. It goes well with kava because people have begun to view kava as a healthy alternative to other intoxicants so other healthy food and drinks makes sense to people. It also didn't require a full kitchen so the cost was minimal.

I wish we had been doing this the whole time. People love it and we feel like we're providing a service we can be proud of by giving them more good stuff that does good for their bodies.