What's new

Societal norms are silly guys

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Awesome, I am curious do you still knead by hand in a bag, or use a stick? After having my first official kava circle recently, I realized it was a mofo to knead large amounts of kava. As in I had to keep re-kneading it with new water because I wasn't getting all the oil out. Please teach me the way of the Home Depot Bucket Prep Method :)
You can get quite a bit of root into 2 litres of water in a blender before it gets too thick to blend. It would still be a pain to strain all that though. I found this out when I first started drying my kava out as instant.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
By the way a top tip for straining, might be obvious but here goes... use a knee high, single not doubled up. That gets rid of most of the root and doesn't take too long. Then just pass through the fine strainer, however fine you want it, which takes seconds. Going through the finer strainer first takes ages. This is for the blender method, not trad prep.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah anytime I blend then put into a strainer other than huge micron ones obviously . The water and root get so stuck and that's usually when I rip a fine strainer .

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Awesome, I am curious do you still knead by hand in a bag, or use a stick? After having my first official kava circle recently, I realized it was a mofo to knead large amounts of kava. As in I had to keep re-kneading it with new water because I wasn't getting all the oil out. Please teach me the way of the Home Depot Bucket Prep Method :)
Knead by hand with a big strainer bag like the ones we just offered. The larger surface area of the bag will help you get all the goodness out quicker. Our strainer bags have been used for years at Kava circles where 20+ gallons will be kneaded per night. We just made sure the ones we got are food safe as apparently theres a whole different process and tweaking the manufacturer has to do to make sure they are vs. similar bags that look the same but aren't food grade.
1lb of Kava should do you right for 5 gallons.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Knead by hand with a big strainer bag like the ones we just offered. The larger surface area of the bag will help you get all the goodness out quicker. Our strainer bags have been used for years at Kava circles where 20+ gallons will be kneaded per night. We just made sure the ones we got are food safe as apparently theres a whole different process and tweaking the manufacturer has to do to make sure they are vs. similar bags that look the same but aren't food grade.
1lb of Kava should do you right for 5 gallons.
1lb to 5 gallons... why don't you just stop mucking about and make up a real batch! :)

Seriously, that sounds awesome. Now all I need is enough friends who like kava to do it with.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I had a beautiful big tanoa in college in '01-'02. But we also used the 5 gallon method, for extra long drinking sessions. The tanoa was pretty, but way too shallow for my drinking preference.

I was the only south pacific islander in my group of friends in Florida (Born in Queensland, does that count?).
Yes. Australia is in the South Pacific. I think.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
1lb to 5 gallons... why don't you just stop mucking about and make up a real batch! :)

Seriously, that sounds awesome. Now all I need is enough friends who like kava to do it with.
Lol ya I guess its how long you're tryin to mix. Just show up to a pub with a bunch of Kava and see what happens lol. I do that sometimes and end up mixing with complete strangers haha

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hahaha yeah its a sad story. One day we will all be mutts . I cant wait. We're in a couple thousand year transitional period. Culture meshing is still the toughest thing for people . (Racism, prejudice )
Luckily their is that silver lining of a one mutt race of humans. Perfected through diversity
Well I don't mean to contradict. But I don't actually think that will happen. Even if genetic mixing kind of makes everybody look the same (I don't think that will happen either, because species tend to benefit from lots of genetic diversity. It's a strength that there are different kinds of people, different so-called 'races') Now in the future, there may be racial groupings that arise due to things like geography, politics, etc. In other words, people may still superficially look different around the world, although a visitor to this future may not recognize these new 'races' as any thing resembling the 'races' we have today.

Example: Africa, the cradle of the human species, has the greatest genetic diversity of any continent. For example, West Africans, South African bushmen, Ethiopians, and Nigerians and Lybians are possibly more genetically distinct from each other than Irish people are from Italians, or Northern Chinese from Southern Chinese, or Mongolians from Russians. Look at pictures of people from, say Burkina Faso in West Africa compared with the pictures of the Rwandan women @Kavasseur posted. Are those people the same 'race' because they happen to have been born on the same Continent? I would say not. And that is a good thing. Diversity is strength, not weakness.

But exactly like you said, what happens with people's skin tones is really literally superficial. Culture is hard to change. Cultures clash. New cultures are always popping up (and old ones dying), cultures are merging in friendly and unfriendly ways. Some of the new cultures are virulent and destructive. Even if everyone on the planet had identical genetic material, there would still be wars based on culture, nationalism, fighting for scarce resources.

So, yeah, it is a sad story, unfortunately without an easy answer, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I agree that was popping in my head as I was writing. I continued because I don't mean we would all be the same race and same genetics. But enough mixes where we could stop and appreciate diversity since it would be entwined in each of us.
But yes Absolutley I agree. As I was writing I was thinking of how people like bob marley were forced to be more open minded by being half white and half black... even to other races beyond black and white. Hahaha the way I wrote it definitely sounded like I meant we all would be the same race. And I agree diversity of genetics is a strength . That's been shown over and over .
But just the overall Dis identification from a specific race itself can be a powerful thing. I'm not anything other than European with a. Hint of native American . Like litterally almost nothing. But my girlfriend is Irish and Puerto Rican and native American and the kindness that comes from that is just immense. And I love that. It prevents walls internally..
More or less I think culture is more important as a mesh. Than genetics for sure... too similar of genetics causes down syndrome as one extreme example and other deformities which shows the strength of diversification once again:) thank you for that infoabout Africa @verticity I did not know that at all.

Like if humans survive another 1000 years the chance of their actually being pure breds will be very slim . As even now most people have a little of something else even just a tad. Which in a way is diversification

verticity

I'm interested in things
Me: German, Welsh, Carpatho-Rusyn, Northern Irish, Danish
I'm probably missing many. So in other words: a typical American white guy.
But I really like your idea of dis-identification from a specific race. I look forward to the day when I will just be an American, or just a person, not a White American. And no, just because it is the "default" does not mean I can honestly omit the "White". Yet.

Last edited:

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Lol ya I guess its how long you're tryin to mix. Just show up to a pub with a bunch of Kava and see what happens lol. I do that sometimes and end up mixing with complete strangers haha
I noticed you sell the two sizes and that was my problem as I was trying to work with a large amount of root with an 80 micron bag and that is just misery. I will order some bags as I need to order some aluballs anyway. When my local friends by my kava, they want a simple way to prep and I say order an aluball and they are always sell me yours right now with the kava and you buy more. Then my aluballs disappear lol. My family is meeting me at my work tonight to go shopping and Sushi. So I told her bring my aluball and kava with you so I can have my after work kava on the go. She called me back and said how the heck is there only one aluball left in the house, before I had a chance to respond, she said oh ROGER jokingly. Calm down honey I am ordering more.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I would say that reaching a point where everyone in the world is considered the same race would be a long time off, like millennia, but a world where the majority of people are "mixed race" will occur a lot sooner.

Jerome

Kava Lover
I would say that reaching a point where everyone in the world is considered the same race would be a long time off, like millennia, but a world where the majority of people are "mixed race" will occur a lot sooner.
I'm doing my part! I've created two beautiful little "mutts".