What's new

Someone got me worried about k***** being mixed with kava... That's not common, right?!

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
It is mildly physically addictive but it beats the shit out of a herion addiction. I'll settle on the leaf if it keeps me out of that personal hell. Plus every doctor i see tries to feed me rx passion killers which if really tempting with my history. But i digress..... this is the best support group in existence. I love the fact that there is nothing but open minds and ears on this forum.
Saying it's a mild addiction is a bit much. Obviously, I'm very biased, but there is a reason there is a dedicated, very active subreddit entirely on quitting K@:

www.reddit.com/r/quittingkratom

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I wish we could just let the krat discussions die on the Kava board. Krat has nothing to do with Kava, thank the Kava gods.
I do recall reading this in the terms of this website, but apparently its flexible.

"No open discussion of K@ or similar legal herbs will be allowed in the kava forums

Please keep in mind that we are a kava forum, and due to that fact will not host a place for direct discussion of any different substance legal or otherwise. Of course discretion will be used by moderators and you not need fear the consequential mention of other substances. The discussion of replacement of other substances with kava is strongly encouraged."

violet

Do all things with love
Not sure how to interpret the last two remarks, but the policy restriction on the discussion of illicit and quasi-legal substances in relation to kava is to protect and maintain a positive regard to the traditional and current use of kava.

Whether or not a member agrees, we ask that members maintain respect to the forum and have such discussions in private conversations if needed or use a venue where such discussions are openly permitted.

D

Deleted User01

I tried K@ back when I was experimenting with botanicals. I would have to take like 10 (homemade) capsules to get any effect. Kava really hit the spot for me and I ended up throwing the Kracktom away. Most serious users make a drink from it and I have heard that the taste is even worse than Kava. I know we aren't supposed to discuss it here because @Kapmcrunk is rightfully afraid that the forum will be inundated by K@ users but I think we could easily switch them over to Kava. Folks, if you didn't know already, everything we say here is highly ranked by Google so it is easy to attract people who might think we approve of it when we are only interested in Kava.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Not sure how to interpret the last two remarks, but the policy restriction on the discussion of illicit and quasi-legal substances in relation to kava is to protect and maintain a positive regard to the traditional and current use of kava.

Whether or not a member agrees, we ask that members maintain respect to the forum and have such discussions in private conversations if needed or use a venue where such discussions are openly permitted.
I am confused, should this not be in the off topic section then?

verticity

I'm interested in things

You are aware that "two day kava" is not truly kava and is a quasi-legal substance, right?... Right? It's illegal to export from Vanuatu, and soon will be illegal to export from anywhere. I'm not suggesting we should not discuss it here. I'm just pointing out some hypocrisy here.

Unfortunately, the reality is that most kava bars serve krat, and the two are frequently confused. I think it is a good thing for us to discuss krat here, as it relates to kava, and as long as that confusion exists, unfortunately krat will be pertinent to discuss here, mainly to educate people about how different it is from kava, and hopefully to shame kava bar owners into stopping serving it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oh, I should also point out that whereas "tudei" currently exists in a legal grey area, that is not the case with K@. As far as I know K@ is completely legal (in the US, at least); it is not "illicit or quasi-legal"

violet

Do all things with love
@verticity Perhaps "quasi-legal" wasn't the best word choice, so I apologize if the connotation was inaccurate or overly broad. It has always been illegal for tudei to be exported from Vanuatu; however it was always acceptable in the KavaForums community. Even if there's now enough ethnobotanical distinction to separate tudei kavas from nobles as separate species, I think it would still be difficult to say that tudei or medicinal types of kava are "not kava."

I agree that K@ does have a pertinent place here for discussion, for all the reasons you listed. It needs to be addressed, as we've seen so many times the direct negative impact that K@ has on kava overall when it is served as its counterpart in a kava bar.

While I don't believe K@'s legality is the major issue when it comes to its perceived association with kava, it's not currently legal in all US states.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@verticity Perhaps "quasi-legal" wasn't the best word choice, so I apologize if the connotation was inaccurate or overly broad. It has always been illegal for tudei to be exported from Vanuatu; however it was always acceptable in the KavaForums community. Even if there's now enough ethnobotanical distinction to separate tudei kavas from nobles as separate species, I think it would still be difficult to say that tudei or medicinal types of kava are "not kava."

I agree that K@ does have a pertinent place here for discussion, for all the reasons you listed. It needs to be addressed, as we've seen so many times the direct negative impact that K@ has on kava overall when it is served as its counterpart in a kava bar.

While I don't believe K@'s legality is the major issue when it comes to its perceived association with kava, it's not currently legal in all US states.
Actually, it has not in fact always been illegal to export tudei from Vanuatu. It was made illegal in 2002 by the Kava Act, in reaction to alleged anecdotes of liver problems in Europe from extract made from tudei.

Also tudei has not always been acceptable to the KavaForums community. It has not been acceptable to me since I learned of the issue a couple years ago, and I am a member of the community. And we all know there are other members of the Forum who share my opinion.

I admit it is a bit over dramatic to say that tudei is "not kava", but it is definitely not the kind of kava that is traditionally consumed in places with a long history of kava drinking.

Again, I want to emphasize that I am in favor of openness in all cases. Tudei enthusiasts should be allowed to talk about their enthusiasm for tudei, just as threads like this answering concerns about kava spiked with K@ should be allowed to exist. What I do take umbrage at is when someone essentially tells everyone else to "shut up" about something that they don't want people to talk about, as @Kavasseur did above.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Hmmm.... let's tone it down a bit here. Krat is something that is on a pretty hot watch list right now, as opposed to the variation of Piper Methysticum known as "Tudei."

I'm not saying this out of anger, but out of a desire for peace. I don't think it's fair to equate Tudei with Krat.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Oh, I should also point out that whereas "tudei" currently exists in a legal grey area, that is not the case with K@. As far as I know K@ is completely legal (in the US, at least); it is not "illicit or quasi-legal"
K@ is actually illegal in lots of countries, including some of the Southeast Asian countries (e.g. Thailand and Malaysia) from which it originates. Similarly, it is also illegal in a few states:

kratom_whereisitlegal_wip02.jpg