What's new

Someone got me worried about k***** being mixed with kava... That's not common, right?!

Honolulusurfer88

Kava Curious
hi there everyone. I am a kava lover for a few years now but recently came across this k**** cratomm(deliberate misspelling) stuff. It sounds too much like bad news for my taste so naturally I figure I will steer clear of it. But it made me really anxious when I read somewhere around here that sometimes kava vendors mix the two? I only buy kava from the vendors on this forum, so I'm assumimg I am only getting some pure kava. I was just hoping for a bit of clarity on whether the mixing stories are real or exaggerated? I only want to be drinking kava, basically! I have been using the ground up root for a few years so I figure if I'm getting some chopped up leaves in it, it will immediate send off a red flag in my brain. But overall the idea worried me. Im a bit of a worrier, that's why I love kava! Anyway, thank you so much for your help!!

verticity

I'm interested in things
The vendors on this forum do not put krat in their kava. I have never heard of any online vendor doing that. The problem is with some kava bars, such as Kavasutra, that sell drinks containing both krat and kava. This is apparently especially a problem in Florida kava bars. Note Bula Kava House in Portland and Melo Melo in Berkeley do not sell krat; Unfortunately they seem to be in the minority among US kava bars.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
From a vendor's perspective, you're safe. Even if a vendor didn't have the moral compass to know not to mix other products into their kava without making it clear, mixing krat into kava simply doesn't make sense because pound for pound it is much more expensive and you'd need to put quite a bit in for a noticeable effect.

As @verticity pointed out, most kava bars serve krat alongside kava, and some sell kava and krat mixed. One kava bar that I know of puts it in kava drinks and doesn't tell their customers, which is horribly irresponsible. Krat gets a bad rap, despite having some very positive uses, but people should know which intoxicants they are ingesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Krat is not a "bad" drug, but it seems it is better used medicinally (for opiate withdrawal, or chronic pain) than recreationally because of its addictive potential and withdrawal syndrome. It doesn't belong in bars, which are places people go for recreation.

If you are really paranoid there is krat in your kava (which you should not be), you could send a sample to True Kava Labs for testing. Since the krat is leaves, there would be a big chlorophyll spike in the visible spectrum.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
From a vendor's perspective, you're safe. Even if a vendor didn't have the moral compass to know not to mix other products into their kava without making it clear, mixing krat into kava simply doesn't make sense because pound for pound it is much more expensive and you'd need to put quite a bit in for a noticeable effect.

As @verticity pointed out, most kava bars serve krat alongside kava, and some sell kava and krat mixed. One kava bar that I know of puts it in kava drinks and doesn't tell their customers, which is horribly irresponsible. Krat gets a bad rap, despite having some very positive uses, but people should know which intoxicants they are ingesting.
At the end of the day, order from vendors on this site and you're safe. @Kapmcrunk doesn't allow vendors with sheisty reputations.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Never heard of ground dry kava being sold mixed anywhere in the world in the last 20 years or so, from either online vendors or store/market vendors.
It seems it is just a few (US) kava bars mixing it up.
Nothing to worrry about.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I have never heard of the two being mixed in online sales. I know there are a few kava bars that will mix upon request, and one that was supposedly not being 100% upfront about what was in the drinks. But never online.

Honolulusurfer88

Kava Curious
Thank you to everyone who has responded. You certainly helped me a ton. I think I was a bit confused on the difference between kava bars selling the stuff alongside their kava drinks,rather than vendors. I will probably remove this post in a little while because I don't at all want to freak anyone else out. But I wanted first to say a big thank you to all the posters and vendors that were kind enough to comment and help me feel a bit better!

verticity

I'm interested in things
Thank you to everyone who has responded. You certainly helped me a ton. I think I was a bit confused on the difference between kava bars selling the stuff alongside their kava drinks,rather than vendors. I will probably remove this post in a little while because I don't at all want to freak anyone else out. But I wanted first to say a big thank you to all the posters and vendors that were kind enough to comment and help me feel a bit better!
Please don't remove the post! This is useful information for people to be able to find. There might be others with the same question.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
lol, krat is the worst tasting herb i know of. No vendor would ever mix it into their kava because no one would order it ever again due to the taste. secondly, kava and krat are differently colored so most customers would notice and lastly, krat is not active through kava preparation methods. perhaps a little bit, but no way are you gonna get a strong effect from drinking a shell made from K@ plus kava grounds. the krat would simply be wasted. it needs to be ingested directly or at least made into tea.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
As @verticity pointed out, most kava bars serve krat alongside kava, and some sell kava and krat mixed. One kava bar that I know of puts it in kava drinks and doesn't tell their customers, which is horribly irresponsible. Krat gets a bad rap, despite having some very positive uses, but people should know which intoxicants they are ingesting.[/QUOTE]

Wowzers, that's a bit naughty......
People shouldn't put anything in a drink that the person doesn't know about.

boxcar beatnik

Kava Enthusiast
I agree that krat is best used as a medicinal substance. Much safer than rx painkillers and as about as addictive caffeine (the media is using
fear mongering tactics. Similar to the ones previously used against kava) but it would be very obvious if it was mixed into kava. Plus it costs more .

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I looked into krat to manage my chronic pain before I found kava. Unfortunately, it is illegal here in Tennessee. Too much money in pill mills and locking people up for possessing or selling pills to give them a viable alternative. I do agree that no one should be given what they think is one substance that actually contains another, but I don't think you have to worry about that here.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast

I don't know what price crat is across the pond? It is relatively cheap in the UK (or it was!) and it works out wayyyy cheaper to use than Kava.
That being said my advice to people is to steer clear from this stuff (crat) unless you are trying to give up prescription meds or are in pain that requires an opiate then this may be of some help.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
If your kava is green then you got problems. Haha but seriously i dont think they do that outside of kavabars

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
It's a wise decision to not use krat. There may be good uses for it (I've heard people use it for pain suppression), but it's VERY physically addictive. I've tried it multiple times and it's quite a scary substance if you have an addictive personality.

Cactus Kava Lawena, ladies and gentlemen, is a far better option :)