What's new

Steeping kava overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranquil Mind

Kava Curious
Does steeping overnight make the brew stronger. I'm wondering if I should or not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Steeping, as in cooking the kava in hot water overnight? Hmm. My instinct tells me that this might just make it taste really bad without making it any stronger than a standard hot water prep.

The kava might also sour more quickly, depending on the temperature of the water. Whatever process (enzymatic, bacterial, I don't know) makes old kava go sour, it might happen faster in warm water.

I do sometimes throw an fresh Aluball in the fridge overnight just to make the first morning shell simpler. Doesn't make it any stronger. Just convenient to have readymade.

Tranquil Mind

Kava Curious
Steeping, as in cooking the kava in hot water overnight? Hmm. My instinct tells me that this might just make it taste really bad without making it any stronger than a standard hot water prep.

The kava might also sour more quickly, depending on the temperature of the water. Whatever process (enzymatic, bacterial, I don't know) makes old kava go sour, it might happen faster in warm water.

I do sometimes throw an fresh Aluball in the fridge overnight just to make the first morning shell simpler. Doesn't make it any stronger. Just convenient to have readymade.
Now that I looked back I ment to say soaking. I understand if you steep it like tea it will just make it taste bad.

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
Does steeping overnight make the brew stronger. I'm wondering if I should or not

I recently made a thread of similar thought. If you'd like you could check it out along with some of the responses that got posted there.
In essence though, i, being new to kava and the various methods and prep as well as a desire to find the most efficient kavalactone extracting method, surmised that while steeping definitely cannot extract kavalactones.. perhaps a steeping period before extraction ( kneading or aluball ) can increase extraction efficiency.
Well, i did a few experiments myself, steeping for about 10 hours in the fridge was the longest i went. I have an aluball and i have a strainer bag.
In theory, one would think that if you could increase the saturation of water into the root as much as possible, that then when you extract that water it would thus be a better extraction of the innards of the root. I think that theory is solid but in practice i just could not prove it. Maybe im not good enough at kneading yet. Perhaps the fullest saturation of water needed only takes 5 minutes of soaking and anything after that is just sitting in water for no further benefit.
A few others responded in my thread that they didn't notice benefit from steeping before extraction methods and i took that as supporting what i was experiencing.
Even though i noticed no benefit, id still like to hear what you experience so keep posting please.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe if you put some herbs with antibiotic properties in it it wouldn't go sour *shrug*
I think it could improve the effects, though. You should try it and report back to us, I may try it when I get the new Dua Na Bilo Vanuatuan Kava tomorrow.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
For What It's Worth I've tried putting some of the new stuff I have in a rubermaid style jar in the refridgerator over night. Much smoother than from the blender. A little more kick as well.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
For What It's Worth I've tried putting some of the new stuff I have in a rubermaid style jar in the refridgerator over night. Much smoother than from the blender. A little more kick as well.
You just soaked it in the same amount of prep water as you usually use?

gork

Kava Enthusiast
Edit: Update
For anyone that'd like to try I re-looked at the rubermaid style jar I used for some Kamakua yesterday, it looks to be about 2tbs of root in about 10-12 ounces of water(was eyeballing..I've personally found this brings out different kinds of effects and flavors. For example NabWan with black tea and honey soaked over night seemed like it made it more of a: focused silly, inspired kind of drink. I simply don't know why.

My Witches Brew assorted awesome mix was probably in a similler jar for easily 2-3 weeks. Great for the evening. Not recomended for the day...if you expect to get much more than simple things done (for example)

I even (once) tried cold brewed coffe with Amazon Kava Brand Kava (WacaCon possibly) Lawena. much more of silly. enthusiastic Poe (Kung Fu Panda) kind of vibe compared to on it's own where it was a weird mix of stuff.

Edit the effects (for me) were much smoother, building up much more gently than a blender or toss in a 4-6 ounce cup with ice and water and swirly around glarg why do I bother? kind of feel. It might be good for the more energetic kinds before work (depending on what you do etc).
I hope that helps people decide if they want to try experimenting. ^_^

gork

Kava Enthusiast
Here's a picture, that's Kamakua, it's been in that jar since a bit after it arived, that's the kind of RuberMaid style jar I was trying to describe. To help others that want to experiment, or improve on the recipe I put a 8oz/1cop measure and I think the red mug is a bit over 16 ounces/2cups next to it. And yes the counter is dusty. A small hazzard of liking kava and living in in a funky house. I jokingly think it's perminantly dusty and oily from cooking.

Would it be helpful to make a second fresh post just for this?

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.