What's new

Strainers for Kava

LeVon

Kava Curious
Hey guys, i am sorry to ask if this is already posted but i looked and could not really find all the info i was needing. O.K so i ordered some more kava from KWK and the Vula waka, is a finer grind i guess than the previous borongoru that i had ordered from them. When i tried to make my kava it just plugged the cloth, and none of the liquid wanted to come though the bag. So the bag busted and i had a mess lol. I thought maybe i would try a T shirt, and that worked good enough to make it drinkable, and i was able to finish the first wash. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

So i am looking into other options of what i can use for a strainer. I read on here that some people have tried nylon stockings, and that it kind of works. I could probably find these at the local store, but i have also read of people using cheesecloth, paint strainers. I was curious what you guys thought worked the best. I ordered an aluball today, so i dont run into the problem of not being able to make my kava again, but i do prefer the traditional method, it seems to work well. TY in advance :)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hey guys, i am sorry to ask if this is already posted but i looked and could not really find all the info i was needing. O.K so i ordered some more kava from KWK and the Vula waka, is a finer grind i guess than the previous borongoru that i had ordered from them. When i tried to make my kava it just plugged the cloth, and none of the liquid wanted to come though the bag. So the bag busted and i had a mess lol. I thought maybe i would try a T shirt, and that worked good enough to make it drinkable, and i was able to finish the first wash. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
So i am looking into other options of what i can use for a strainer. I read on here that some people have tried nylon stockings, and that it kind of works. I could probably find these at the local store, but i have also read of people using cheesecloth, paint strainers. I was curious what you guys thought worked the best. I ordered an aluball today, so i dont run into the problem of not being able to make my kava again, but i do prefer the traditional method, it seems to work well. TY in advance :)
The best 3 strainers imo are the Aluball, Kavafied's Fijian strainer (in 75 Micron) or Squanch's Fijian Strainer. I learned a while back that those other ones are not worth my time. Not to say they don't work..

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

I use "nut milk bags." They work great for me.

Vice

Kava Enthusiast
You will do anything to bring up your nut bag lol ::awesomesmiles:: I thought you liked to use your panti hose before you put them on before a night on the town. hehe

I forgot what bags I have are from what vendors now, but I prefer a five gallon bucket paint strainer bag. Since I like to make my grog in my wheelbarrow or bathtub I can fit the few shovel full of kava in the bag and still grab ahold of it. I've never had a paint strain break on me

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
You will do anything to bring up your nut bag lol ::awesomesmiles:: I thought you liked to use your panti hose before you put them on before a night on the town. hehe

I forgot what bags I have are from what vendors now, but I prefer a five gallon bucket paint strainer bag. Since I like to make my grog in my wheelbarrow or bathtub I can fit the few shovel full of kava in the bag and still grab ahold of it. I've never had a paint strain break on me
With a head as big as mine it is very hard to find panty hose that will fit.

For me the main consideration with a bag is it has to be large enough and long enough, but dense enough to keep the junk in and let you squeeze the good stuff out, and also a good draw string that I can tie tightly enough around the neck that no makas escapes. SOme hold great for the first or second wash, but the real test is on the third and fourth.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
I'd agree with @Krunʞy on this. the nylon monofilament is just superb. I use the @Kavafied strainer bag. The bags that come with @CactusKava are just as good. So are these oil strainers: https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=+filter++bag++nylon

Check out this thread: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/a-good-muslin-strainer.12007/#post-136979

I also used a t shirt cloth for a long time.. 2 issues, it imparted a strange cotton taste... and i believe some of the 'lactones got caught in the bulk of the strainer. Cotton fibers are naturally convoluted, and absorb water. Cotton IS stronger while wet, however, the repeated stretching and wringing eventually will cause it to bust.

Nylon stockings are good, but they often are made with a light crimp in the filaments in order to make them soft. I believe some fine particles get caught in the fabric structure... due to the crimp.

I think the monofilament is a stable structure that wont stretch, which might help to force the fine particles through when it is squeezed.

Your cotton T shirt is constructed from ring spun staple fibers, which also contributes to bulk... a huge improvement would be to switch to a fabric constructed with continuous filaments (I.E. some stockings, and of course monofilament bags)

either way, nylon and cotton are both hydrophillic. Has anyone ever used a strainer made from hydrophobic material like polyester? I wonder if that would be better or worse.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
@Bula Kava House Fijian strainers look pretty cool, and I bet they are good too. but i have never used these and I cant speak for their construction. I studied Textile Technology in college so you happen to ask something I could totally go full nerd on :pompus:

LeVon

Kava Curious
Thanks guys, i ma going to try a few of these to decide which one i like best. I have read that sediment on the bottom is a good thing. But too much is bad thing?

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
Thanks guys, i ma going to try a few of these to decide which one i like best. I have read that sediment on the bottom is a good thing. But too much is bad thing?
I thought that most people dont mind the fine particles that come through the strainer... The muck. A lot of the 'lactones are in the muck, and if you give it a stir, it will stay suspended in the grog for a min or 2.

Then I went on Reddit, and it looks like a lot of them use a bag for kneading, and then they run it through another strainer. I guess it's preference.

The short answer: if you get a good strainer, you only need to strain once.

Krunkmeup

Kava Enthusiast
Do you guys think you get all the lactones out when using an alluball? I seem to be going through a lot of kava to get where I want to be, like 5 alluballs full, and I am doing 3 washes with each until the water is nearly clear! Does kneeding get more out do you think?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

Try using a nylon to do the main prep and then put it all through a finer strainer to finish it off. The nylon will let a lot of sediment through so you probably wouldn't want to drink that as it is but after a quick strain through another strainer you'd be good to go and saves trying to get all the water out of a clogged up bag.

With a head as big as mine it is very hard to find panty hose that will fit.
ROFL... EPIC COME BACK!!!

Krunkmeup

Kava Enthusiast
Do you have to fill the alluball over half way? I am finding it is a lot of water to consume over 3 washes and I think it might be dampening the effects I'm getting too?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Bula Kava House Fijian strainers look pretty cool, and I bet they are good too. but i have never used these and I cant speak for their construction. I studied Textile Technology in college so you happen to ask something I could totally go full nerd on :pompus:
I can. Well..definitely not as in depth as you for sure, but @Bula Kava House strainers are the best I've used. If I'm not mistaken he was having them made in house. I love mine. I still have a drawer full and I've only used 1. I've had a panic attack when I realized I had forgotten it on vacation. It's that important.

LeVon

Kava Curious
Lol Kapm, I would like to try it also, Have you ever got one plugged up? Krunkmeup, I have been filling my aluball with 2 cups of water, and put 2-3tbs, in the ball. then after shaking im removing the ball and adding a fresh 2-3 tbs. and shaking it again, this way im getting 4-6 tbs. per 2 cups like i like. And i was impressed with the strength actually, i couldnt notice much difference in the grog from the aluball and kneading. But then i am doing a trad. wash with the leftovers, to not waste any. But i have also used the aluball for the second wash, and just having to fill the ball twice. Works good for me.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
I can. Well..definitely not as in depth as you for sure, but @Bula Kava House strainers are the best I've used. If I'm not mistaken he was having them made in house. I love mine. I still have a drawer full and I've only used 1. I've had a panic attack when I realized I had forgotten it on vacation. It's that important.
Mmm I hear that. Vacation demands only the most excellent grog one can make. A clean sock is not quite vacation-worthy.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
LOL. They are pretty good. A former employee is a seamstress in her spare time. She sadly quit working at the bar about a year ago to teach full time, but she luckily agreed to keep making the strainers.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Cheesecloth is usually too porous. An old cotton shirt would work, or panty hose for sure.
I'm a germaphobe, so old shirts or panty hose, even if they're brand new, are out of the question for me :)
What will work, that's germ-free, toxic-chemical-free, and sanitary ?