What's new

Kava Preparation Straining kava?

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Sup boys and girls. I normally toss and wash, but have decided to try out the traditional method and I don't have any strainers. Are there any house hold items I can use that would work well for the straining?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Nylon stockings are the most popular, you can get them at any pharmacy. You may want to double them up.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Knee highs or the leg of a pantyhose. Double up for more straining power (recommended). New ones better than used :) . I use ankle highs as they are big enough for my needs.

@kavadude snap! Almost the same minute.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
I live in a small Mormon town where everything is closed on sunday, meh tomorrow I guess. Would a stinky work or t shirt work?

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Definitely strain it. I used to toss and wash, but I learned that straining is much better for your body. Aluball is good too.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Sweat, fungus, toejam might add to it.
That might improve the taste :D
Sometimes people use paint strainers. I don't recommend them in general because they do not strain finely enough, but if you happen to have some of those.

Or, no offense intended if you are LDS, but your Mormon "garments" might work. Otherwise, it's time for a panty raid of your female neighbors.

verticity

I'm interested in things
No disrespect intended. Seriously.
Maybe those colorful saffron robes the Buddhist dudes are wearing would work...

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Lol no not Mormon, was raised Mormon but don't believe in it. They are nice people but meh. Id buy some but they won't let me as I'm a heathen. I just used some cloth I have that for some reason or another might be an oil day for all I know but I massaged some. lots of effort so we will see how this goes. I massaged it for like 15 mins 2ish tbs 1 cup of water.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
I'd do a panty raid here but everyone is Mormon so I won't find any panties and their God might smite me for taking their underwear for making heathen water.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Lol no not Mormon, was raised Mormon but don't believe in it. They are nice people but meh. Id buy some but they won't let me as I'm a heathen. I just used some cloth I have that for some reason or another might be an oil day for all I know but I massaged some. lots of effort so we will see how this goes. I massaged it for like 15 mins 2ish tbs 1 cup of water.
Here you go...
http://mormonssecret.com/products/mens-magical-mormon-underwear-mesh-bottom
But yes, all the Mormons I have met have been really nice people, with senses of humor, so hopefully anyone reading this will understand this is not serious...
("Magic underwear. Tee hee." --The 10-year-old in me)

exit stage left
Mormons do seem to have a good sense of humour - there's a satirical Broadway musical about Mormons and they took it really well. The guys behind South Park wrote it, so you can probably imagine.

The first thing I ever used to strain kava was a t-shirt. I cut a circle out of it, put about 1.5 tbsp of kava in the centre, and then tied the t-shirt with string so the kava wouldn't get out. I used traditional prep with this and it worked fine for me. I ended up switching to nylon stockings because they were already shaped right, and they clean a little bit more easily.

I ended up switching to toss and wash, but not with medium grind. I toss and wash micro, and it tastes way worse than medium grind traditionally prepared.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Is there a way to knead and toss and wash it? Like.i guess just stick it in Bowl with water and massage it?