What's new

Strong (non sedating) kava

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
So I typically favor nighttime kavas that are strong and sedating. I also like good muscle relaxation due to chronic muscle issues.
Lately I have been wanting some that dont necissarily sedate but are still strong. Muscle relief would also be nice.
Recommendations?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Mo'i is the only non sedating (can still become sedating at high enough dosage) dry kava that I personally consider to be relatively strong. There are others that are similarly as heady but rarely with the same potency. The non-sedating 'heady' kavas don't really do much for my muscles or back pain though, the effects seem to literally stop below the head. Krunky gave you some good recommendations for strong kavas, they're all among my personal favorites...but they aren't non-sedating to the extent it sounds like you are looking for. Those ones are potent, heavy and heady.

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
Mo'i is the only non sedating (can still become sedating at high enough dosage) dry kava that I personally consider to be relatively strong. There are others that are similarly as heady but rarely with the same potency. The non-sedating 'heady' kavas don't really do much for my muscles or back pain though, the effects seem to literally stop below the head. Krunky gave you some good recommendations for strong kavas, they're all among my personal favorites...but they aren't non-sedating to the extent it sounds like you are looking for. Those ones are potent, heavy and heady.
That's kind of what I thought but wasnt sure. I'll try the moi...

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Good point @sɥɐʞɐs and I drink Fijians kavas 90% of the time so I like headier, Kava Time sells wonderful root, worth a try. I personally drink Squanch Waka and Lawena the most, to me these are good value to potency, freshness and quality. My go to heavy kava is Nangol.

Edit - I wish I had your kava Bodegas out there on the West Coast ;)

Last edited:

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
I have tried all the heady kava's:Kalm with KWK's Pouni Ono, N@H's Stone, and GHK Mo'i, and found them to make me feel disconnected and to have "fuzzy" thinking. The only time I felt good body effects were from a kava I drank from a kava bar, and they didn't sell the kava. N@H's Stone and Wow for me are pretty heady, but I would be interested if anyone of the remaining three:Solomon, White Sand, or Black Sand have good body effects. The website doesn't seem to be too descriptive of the body vs heady effects.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have tried all the heady kava's:Kalm with KWK's Pouni Ono, N@H's Stone, and GHK Mo'i, and found them to make me feel disconnected and to have "fuzzy" thinking. The only time I felt good body effects were from a kava I drank from a kava bar, and they didn't sell the kava. N@H's Stone and Wow for me are pretty heady, but I would be interested if anyone of the remaining three:Solomon, White Sand, or Black Sand have good body effects. The website doesn't seem to be too descriptive of the body vs heady effects.
Most people find stone heavy. And wow for that matter. If you don't find those heavy then you're not going to find white or black sand to be for you. Maybe you need a higher dose with those heavy kavas?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@John Bytell the only non sedating kava I know is PounI ono. Everything else sedates me to varying degrees. Not much body from that though. I would say try hanakapi ai from GHK. It's super strong on the body but I didn't feel overwhelmingly sedated from it. If you strike the right balance it could work for you?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
We could also blend our own kavas from different vendors. I have been meaning to try KWK Pouni Ono with squanch Lawena, there are a few other combos floating in my head that I'd like to try one of these days.

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
I think my dilemma lies in that I always need muscle relief and so I'm always wanting body kava...which is sedating. I do like blending and do that too. Half my problem is that I have and have tried so many different ones that I forget which ones do what. I need to write some of these down lol.
I think what I'll do is start exploring more some of the strains that I would pass on because they didnt necissarily fit the bill of heavy or balanced.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I think my dilemma lies in that I always need muscle relief and so I'm always wanting body kava...which is sedating. I do like blending and do that too. Half my problem is that I have and have tried so many different ones that I forget which ones do what. I need to write some of these down lol.
I think what I'll do is start exploring more some of the strains that I would pass on because they didnt necissarily fit the bill of heavy or balanced.
Welcome to the other side :happy:

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Edward, I have tried up to a cup's worth of Stone, so maybe I am confusing body and head effects and don't realize the difference.

D

Deleted User01

Papa Kea is pretty strong. Makes me a little jittery though.
Yes, I was going to recommend Papa Kea too. I haven't had it in more than a year but I remember it was relaxing to the muscles but not necessarily sedating. I use to enjoy it after killing myself in the backyard on the weekend. I'm currently have Hanakapi Ai' and it does dull my brain quite a bit. Not so good if you have any brainwork to do but pretty good if you are stressed out and need a Brain Core Dump.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, after a cup of Stone, it felt like a 4 beer buzz, but unpleasant. Also felt naseous. I also felt like death for two days afterward.

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, I was going to recommend Papa Kea too. I haven't had it in more than a year but I remember it was relaxing to the muscles but not necessarily sedating. I use to enjoy it after killing myself in the backyard on the weekend. I'm currently have Hanakapi Ai' and it does dull my brain quite a bit. Not so good if you have any brainwork to do but pretty good if you are stressed out and need a Brain Core Dump.
Hanakapi Ai is one of my favorite staples.