What's new

The Facts about PNG and Solomon Kava

verticity

I'm interested in things
I just wanted to point out that your recent test of one batch of PNG Koniak showed a chemotype of 245613:
2015-05-16 14_06_10-Kava Research - Recent Tests _ Kava Forums.jpg

The chemotype appears to be incorrect in the figure, for the given data.
I'm not trying to say that it is not Isa. I think it fits the profile of Isa pretty well. My point is that the fact that the values for kavain and DHM are very close is probably what gives it it's "drinkability" and why some people seem to like it. It's probably more enjoyable to drink than a Vanuatu tudei with a chemotype such as 256431, because kavain is more prominent.
Again I'm not recommending anyone drink it, due to the flavakavains, alkaloids, hangover, etc.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting post Deleted User,
Leads me to a few questions..
If in fact the solomon islands isn't growing, or exporting kava...why is there "solomon" kava being sold? or how?
Is it all miss-labled just to make a quick sale? Example would be, Bula Kava House's new Solomon island kava,
I sent you a small sample and you let me know, according to the test it didn't appear to be noble...
Which was interesting as they stated it certainly was noble ect, but weirder then that would be how is there a solomon island kava if in fact they don't grow/export it?

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
@Deleted User I drank kava twice in Honiara at a bar on the waterfront (they mostly sold alcohol, it's called Pacific Haus if it's still there). I drank quite a lot of it. There were no tudei effects at all; actually it was the most euphoric kava experience I've ever had. Do you have any idea what this might have been? Something noble from Vanuatu? A friend who used to live in the Solomons suggested that the kava they drink there is from Vanuatu. I guess that means it could easily still be tudei or adulterated though.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
The retail names of kava are often meaningless. Though there are now some noble cultivars in PNG and the Solomons, they are not native. Some were introduced in the kava boom of the 90s, but so was Isa. Any noble production is more likely to be consumed than exported.

Here's what Dr. Lebot found in 1989:

View attachment 3284
The last two, Rahmedel and Rahmwahnger, were collected in Pohnpei (Federated States of Micronesia), NOT the Solomons or PNG. So in fact, neither country has native noble cultivars or any established tradition of kava consumption. This makes them a less than ideal example for what to drink... :D
Jesus. Based on that chart, I think only one of them is drinkable. Rahmedel.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Bundun 2: 165324 Those are truly some weird chemotypes. Are you sure they're not printed backwards? :wacky: It might be interesting to try just to see what massive DMY effects are like. I nominate @shakas for the experiment.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Ya I would imagine if they were cultivating noble kava, they would just keep it for themselves lol...
Either way...thanks for the info
Im defintley doing research before I buy kavas from now on, lifes to short to waste it on bad or 2day kava! :)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Bundun 2: 165324 Those are truly some weird chemotypes. Are you sure they're not printed backwards? :wacky: It might be interesting to try just to see what massive DMY effects are like. I nominate @shakas for the experiment.
I desperately want to try a high DMY (1) kava, as I hypothesize it might be a key ingredient in what makes certain kavas feel more 'enjoyable' to me. However, I want the (1) to be surrounded by the good company of (4) and then any of the others. :love:

Robert

Kava Curious
Well the new Solomon's that's out is pretty good, doesn't feel like a tudei, I feel like Deleted User takes any chance to attack bkh indirectly or directly, gets annoying, I'm glad someone deleted that embarrassing pages long argument where Deleted User was just "laying down the facts" lol. Jeez.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Ya i sent Deleted User a sample. Sample came back (not noble) ...the strength (% of kavalactones) was pretty low compared to bulas testing...
The numbers also came back pretty weird. Dnt remember them exsactly but maybe Deleted User can chime in on this....
But i do agree with u that the new solomon island kava doesnt feel like its 2day at all....I havent done it alot because after seeing the test results i was like wtf....
But from what I remeber it was a nice heady with some body in it...felt pretty strong,pretty clean...
I just dont know why the test came out so bad?

Robert

Kava Curious
Well, like the 11 year, the whole point of it is that's it's slightly different than most vanuatu or hawaiian nobels which is what we're setting the base example as, than you get something like Solomon's that had some other slight difference in effect to anything else, 11 year is the same thing, as far as most kavas go the acetone test seems to work, but you can't deny these kava have slight unique effects not necessarily prevalent in common types, so it seems silly to just keep trying to fit novel types in with the common types as far as test results, as long as it's not tested to have actual two day compounds like those double bonded lactones, than itssilly to just keep saying "well it tested Orange so bkh is doing shoddy business because my solvent is Orange" maybe if you were testing borogu or something like that, I'm sorry Deleted User, it just really seems like you have it out for these guys, always indirectly pointing at something. But whatever. I guess I'm not entirely commenting on the conversation at hand, harboring previous frustrations and here you are with another thread using bkh as an example, I'm sure this info is legit and good to know, I don't drink png kava in the first place, doesn't feel right.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The thing about noble Solomon kava is that it shouldn't be unique or 'novel' at all, outside of the fact that it was grown in the Solomon islands, because it is known that the noble cultivars of Solomon Islands are MeloMelo and Borogu clones from Vanuatu. Very standard kavas, nothing mysterious, and the tests should reflect that. If not, it should at least begin to raise suspicion.

Last edited: