What's new

The Golden Shell Awards: Annual year in review - 2014

D

Deleted User01

What's going on here? Since you guy's have been posting about personalities, my shrink has called me and wants me to come in ASAP for "consultation".
He sounded very, very worried.:rolleyes:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Best Kava I've had this year?

Kalm with Kava - Boronguru

Strongest and most hard-hitting Kavas: Kava Kauai 5-Star Kava and N@H Wow! (Be aware of nausea and loss of appetite).
Most relaxing Kavas: N@H Solomon and Tongan, Kalm with Kava Concentrate, Kalm with Kava Boronguru
Most interesting and convenient: Paradise Kava extracts (for day to day use, these extracts remain my preference. Notable here is that these extracts have a calming, relaxing impact and don't hold you down).
Best Everyday Kava: Paradise Kava Borogu

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Most Improved and Relaxing Vanuatu kava: GKE Tanna Marang
I just got four GKE Kavas. I'm going to review this one today. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the names of GKEs are the same as VKS (Vanuatu Kava Store), is this correct? When I opened the package and saw "Pentecost Pride" and "Malekula Magic" I said to myself "I've been in this movie before."

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
As most of you know other vendors that "Make" the instant kava, they will dehydrate the kava juice. In this process they will take the fresh kava root that has been washed and they will grind it or pound it to a pulp. This pulp is then mixed with water and they strain the fibers away so that there is only the good stuff from the kava, it is exactly how they drink fresh root in the Nakamals in Vanuatu, so imagine you have a few shells of fresh kava drink, if you dehydrate that drink you will have the powder that is being sold.
With mine, I do make a pulp and then I mix the pulp with water and wash the pulp 3 times, this gets out all the good stuff and leaves all the course fibers for me to throw away. I then will let the liquid sit for 12-24 hrs in a walk in fridge and after the 12=24 hrs I will go in and get the mix of kava and water, but now since it was sitting so long all the good stuff is settled to the bottom and since it is full of the stuff we want, the "Kavalactones" it is very sticky so all I do is turn the bowls upside down to remove the water, all that is left on the bottom of the bowls is a kavalactone rich goop. It is this goop that I take and I spread it on cookie sheets to dry it slowly in my kiln that uses low heat and a dehumidifier, the rest is a closely guarded secret. :shifty: But now you get the idea of how instant kava is made. (y)
Aloha.

Chris
I always thought super critical pressure was involved somewhere in the process.

From another vendor:
.....uses a cutting edge technology called 'Supercritical Fluid Extraction' which uses carbon dioxide (CO2).

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I always thought super critical pressure was involved somewhere in the process.
Hi HeadHodge, if anyone uses CO2 cuper critical extraction they will end up with a bright yellow paste that looks like this---

It is possible that some might add this extract to a carrier and sell it that way. The only ways that you can make the instant, a true instant, from fresh root is to dry the product by dehydration, spray drying or the more rare way freeze drying. The freeze drying being the strongest I have tried but the most costly. Let me know if you have any other questions on kava extraction or processing methods. Aloha.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yeah, Chris. That paste looks awesome. Quit teasing :)

Also, if you find some freeze dried instant please let me know. I attempted freeze drying but failed when my equipment was DOA.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@HeadHodge me too man. I'm just about to finish off my fourth order of it after taking about 3 months off and the dryness is returning as well.

@Kavasseur it's still for sale man! I love it but it dries me out like a mofo.

Timothy Lanier

Noble Clouds E-liquid co-Owner/partner
Kava Vendor
Wow, what a great post and I am not just saying that because I am GHK. :D Thanks @shakas you have been a great part of the forums and I hope you stick around for a long time. I might have to send you some Moi to try out and review. (y)
Aloha.

Chris
Chris I am wanting to place a order soon. Do you have a vendor to vendor deal? Never hurts to ask.