What's new

The proper "pace" for drinking kava ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Since drinking too much kava, or drinking kava too fast, can have undesirable results, I am looking for help determining the proper pace in drinking kava.
The complication with Kava, is the significant delayed effect it has on you, so you can't really go by the way you feel, in knowing when to stop or slowing down.
So is there a recommendation or a formula in determining this ?
Is it a general rule, or does it depend on the total amount you consume ?
For example, if you typically consiume 4 cups of kava, would it go by percentage - like 25% per hour - or 1 cup per hour, just as an example ?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Rule of thumb is generally to wait 15-30 minutes between each shell, so you can gauge how you feel and reduce risk of nausea.
There are a number of variables though, the chemotype, the overall KL%, the dosage, your personal preferences, your personal biochemistry....

Some people will chug several shells at once, others would never do that. Some people chug a couple strong shells, quickly, and then meter themselves to extend that vibe...others drink slow all night to keep the whole experience measured and mild.

D

Deleted User01

We have a simple formula, take one dose/shell every 20-30 minutes. I gulp each shell down as fast as I can and rinse my mouth with water. Let's just say that I don't take the time to savor the wonderful nuanced flavors of grog. :LOL: Do as many as you think you need but don't overdo it because it's a waste of good kava. I do from 2 to 3 doses and that is plenty for me. Your mileage may vary.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Rule of thumb is generally to wait 15-30 minutes between each shell, so you can gauge how you feel and reduce risk of nausea.
There are a number of variables though, the chemotype, the overall KL%, the dosage, your personal preferences, your personal biochemistry....

Some people will chug several shells at once, others would never do that. Some people chug a couple strong shells, quickly, and then meter themselves to extend that vibe...others drink slow all night to keep the whole experience measured and mild.
I do all of the above, depending on the mood and the situation. When I first started to feel effects from kava, it would take anywhere from 20 - 30 minutes to kick, so I knew to wait and not risk drinking too much, let the first shell hit before risking overload. Then, after many months, and after having Squanch blow me away in 2 minutes or less, my body adapted and now effects start hitting basically immediately, before I've finished my first gulp. It just seems to me like my body, and mind, went through a process of adaptation.

One thing I always do is proceed cautiously with any new kava until I've sussed it out. That's where the rule of one small shell, at a time, 20 minutes apart, is really important and not to be messed with.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
The proper pace is not too fast and not too slow. As pointed out above there are a lot of variables that can impact your session. Most of it you will have to figure out with experience. I like the general rule of 20-30 minutes in between, but even that the kava can still build for 2-3 hours so it can still sneak up on you but that is the best way to keep nausea down.

Reactions: Myk

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Since drinking too much kava, or drinking kava too fast, can have undesirable results, I am looking for help determining the proper pace in drinking kava.
The complication with Kava, is the significant delayed effect it has on you, so you can't really go by the way you feel, in knowing when to stop or slowing down.
So is there a recommendation or a formula in determining this ?
Is it a general rule, or does it depend on the total amount you consume ?
For example, if you typically consiume 4 cups of kava, would it go by percentage - like 25% per hour - or 1 cup per hour, just as an example ?
You've got plenty of sensible answers above but I'd just like to point out that you're halfway there already by realising that kava has a delayed effect so you can't really go by feel very well until you get to know how it can make you feel. I would say as well that there's no rule about it that suits everyone. I tried every 15 to 30 mins when I first started and I can do that now if I get the shell strength right but I prefer to mix strong, chug it and then ride the wave. As I've gone along I've got better at determining when it's a good time to add the next shell. I rarely get it wrong these days. Don't be afraid to leave it an hour or an hour and a half even if you got knocked on your ass by a strong shell.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
You've got plenty of sensible answers above but I'd just like to point out that you're halfway there already by realising that kava has a delayed effect so you can't really go by feel very well until you get to know how it can make you feel. I would say as well that there's no rule about it that suits everyone. I tried every 15 to 30 mins when I first started and I can do that now if I get the shell strength right but I prefer to mix strong, chug it and then ride the wave. As I've gone along I've got better at determining when it's a good time to add the next shell. I rarely get it wrong these days. Don't be afraid to leave it an hour or an hour and a half even if you got knocked on your ass by a strong shell.
absolutely. I try to go by the rule of never down a shell if it doesn't feel right, if it feels even the slightest bit like a bad idea. And if kava ever tells me no, no grog, I listen. And of course, never have grog when you don't want to, or just to make someone else happy. If in doubt, you can actually ask kava before each shell, "is this cool?" I know that sounds nuts, but it works for me, without fail. Kava never lies to me, and I never regretted following what kava told me to do.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Fijian pace: clap, bilo, clap-clap-clap, clap, bilo, clap-clap-clap.

Ni-Van pace: dring wan 200 sel, spit, singaot, drink nara 200 sel, lukim mani blo yu i finis askem fren hu i save sponsa, dring haomas, haomas, foldaon. Fren i askem yu yu oraet, yu spak yet, dring 200 bakagen :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
absolutely. I try to go by the rule of never down a shell if it doesn't feel right, if it feels even the slightest bit like a bad idea. And if kava ever tells me no, no grog, I listen. And of course, never have grog when you don't want to, or just to make someone else happy. If in doubt, you can actually ask kava before each shell, "is this cool?" I know that sounds nuts, but it works for me, without fail. Kava never lies to me, and I never regretted following what kava told me to do.
Yes, listening to the kava works on many levels.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Noobie question-roughly how much volume is in a shell? What is a reasonable total volume to take in (and I guess how much of the root do you use is more important). Thanks for any suggestions!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Fijian pace: clap, bilo, clap-clap-clap, clap, bilo, clap-clap-clap.

Ni-Van pace: dring wan 200 sel, spit, singaot, drink nara 200 sel, lukim mani blo yu i finis askem fren hu i save sponsa, dring haomas, haomas, foldaon. Fren i askem yu yu oraet, yu spak yet, dring 200 bakagen :)
kastom i no save die

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Noobie question-roughly how much volume is in a shell? What is a reasonable total volume to take in (and I guess how much of the root do you use is more important). Thanks for any suggestions!
a mini shell is 100 - 125 ml, a big shell is 200 - 250 ml.

A KMcK shell is about 400ml, but that is idiosyncratic

a good upper limit for personal daily use is about 75g of medium grind or 3/4 cup aka 12 TBS. Most people don't go anywhere near that and a few go over that, but even they don't do it ever day day after day. Not usually, anyway.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
a mini shell is 100 - 125 ml, a big shell is 200 - 250 ml.

A KMcK shell is about 400ml, but that is idiosyncratic

a good upper limit for personal daily use is about 75g of medium grind or 3/4 cup aka 12 TBS. Most people don't go anywhere near that and a few go over that, but even they don't do it ever day day after day. Not usually, anyway.
All good to know. Thank you and not trying to hijack the thread from OP! I have made single use batches from up to 4 tbs. so I am in a reasonable range.

Reactions: Myk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
All good to know. Thank you and not trying to hijack the thread from OP! I have made single use batches from up to 4 tbs. so I am in a reasonable range.
back when I was into krunkin' I would make a single shell using 4 TBS root in 2/3 cup water. Very strong. But then the next shell I would make with the original 4TBS makas plus a fresh TBS root in another 2/3 cup water. I would keep going like that for 4 or 5 or even 6 shells, but I'd pace them about an hour apart, they were so strong. But I haven't gotten krunk in over 4 months now. On the other hand, I just drink much weaker kava much more frequently all day long. So I drink more per day in terms of volume of powdered medium grind, but I just go for a long light mellow. Maybe I'm getting old. One of these days I should get krunk again, just for old time's sake.

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
back when I was into krunkin' I would make a single shell using 4 TBS root in 2/3 cup water. Very strong. But then the next shell I would make with the original 4TBS makas plus a fresh TBS root in another 2/3 cup water. I would keep going like that for 4 or 5 or even 6 shells, but I'd pace them about an hour apart, they were so strong. But I haven't gotten krunk in over 4 months now. On the other hand, I just drink much weaker kava much more frequently all day long. So I drink more per day in terms of volume of powdered medium grind, but I just go for a long light mellow. Maybe I'm getting old. One of these days I should get krunk again, just for old time's sake.
I wonder... what is Krunkin' like? As a relative beginner it intrigues me but also seems unattainable because just with a second wash the other day I suppose I made it too strong, and it triggered my gag reflex... let's just say my body forcefully rejected the shell...

So I have learned to respect the root. Spacing out shells. But to get krunk, how much would one need? It confuses me because you're supposed to space them out, yet if I did that, the effects would be less compared to drinking thicker grog or if you drank a lot at one time.

I suppose since there is no guide to krunkativity I'll ask you, mr. Krunkie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I wonder... what is Krunkin' like? As a relative beginner it intrigues me but also seems unattainable because just with a second wash the other day I suppose I made it too strong, and it triggered my gag reflex... let's just say my body forcefully rejected the shell...

So I have learned to respect the root. Spacing out shells. But to get krunk, how much would one need? It confuses me because you're supposed to space them out, yet if I did that, the effects would be less compared to drinking thicker grog or if you drank a lot at one time.

I suppose since there is no guide to krunkativity I'll ask you, mr. Krunkie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Typically, but not always, krunk is a state that takes about 20 - 30 minutes to kick in after you have consumed a very strong shell or bunch of shells. Typically, but not always, it starts as a feeling of euphoria which is a warm and sometimes pulsating feeling located at the top of your head and maybe in your brain area. Sometimes at this point begins a "behind your eyes" feeling when immediately behind your eyes you feel an intense pleasure which often causes people to close their eyes and smile. Some "heavy" kavas do not start with euphoria but go straight to just the body effects.

After anything from 1 to 20 minutes or so of the heady/euphoric lead in, the krunk settles into a profound mellow which might include feeling a pleasant lethargy in your limbs, often leading to what is known as "couchlock," where you just sit there and that's what's best for you.

Some people compare krunk to inebriation from alcohol, but I don't believe there's enough similarity to warrant the comparison, nor to any other mood enhancer/intoxicant that I know of. Kava is quite different, IMO. For one thing, the mental clarity is a very distinguishing characteristic making it unlike anything else. Also, it does wear off fairly soon, anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, with the average being around 45 minutes, unless one continues shelling to achieve a kind of maintenance of the krunk. A typical sesh might be 3 or 4 hours although on some occasions one could go to as much as 5 or 6 hours of krunk before one eventually gets tired of it. The psychotropic effects of krunk can include changes to your colour palette, including brighter and more pleasing colours, some motion effects, like seeing trails of faster moving objects, hearing parts of music you never noticed before, due to increased ability to focus along with that mental clarity.

Needless to say, one should not drive or operate heavy machinery while krunk. In general the best thing to do is just sit there and enjoy it. Maybe chat with friends, play a video game, read a book, or best of all, just sit and harem singsing blong kava, or "listen to the kava."

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I played around a lot with this but ended up on about 8 oz or 250 ml. I don't like weak kava because you have to drink too much liquid to get where you want to be but you do need sufficient liquid to wash everything out of the kava. Unless you're doing multiple rewashes in which case you are drinking really strong kava followed by progressively weaker kava which defeats the object to my mind. So the short answer is... 2 or 3 shells a night of roughly 1 cup each and with anything from 3 to 8 heaped tbsps depending on the root and the requirements. To expand a little... I try to use just enough liquid so that I feel I am getting as much as I can out of a single wash.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
If you want to make the most of it, learn your dose and then gulp it down as quickly as possible.
I usually prepare 30-40g in 500mnl of water and then drink 2/3 of it quickly, and the rest 5 minutes later.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
If you want to make the most of it, learn your dose and then gulp it down as quickly as possible.
I usually prepare 30-40g in 500mnl of water and then drink 2/3 of it quickly, and the rest 5 minutes later.
Do the effects last just as long, this way ?