What's new

The proper "pace" for drinking kava ?

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Do the effects last just as long, this way ?
Depends on the effects. Heady effects won't work as well. If however the kava is a meditative couch-locker, the kavalactones take longer to kick in and last longer, and one big dose won't waste as much.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Depends on the effects. Heady effects won't work as well. If however the kava is a meditative couch-locker, the kavalactones take longer to kick in and last longer, and one big dose won't waste as much.
Ok, i would disagree...i'm using this method with heady kavas. The reason behind this is, that i want the maximum headrush possible. In my experience, these desirable effects last only around 40 minutes to an hour max. I'm going for these initial effects only. I seldomly re-dose since nausea and dizziness is usually too bad after the first dose.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
The most important part of Kava as @Krunkie McKrunkface has stated is listening to the Kava and also your body. When I first started drinking Kava regularly I did not care for the taste at all and sessions would be hit or miss. If you try to force yourself to drink beyond what your body can stand then you will have a terrible time and most likely continue disliking the taste. In fact your body might start rejecting it just off the smell/taste alone.

The human mind/body is fascinating on what it can do. The mind has much more control/effect than given credit. A perfectly healthy individual can believe they are sick and start actually experiencing physical illness, believe it into existence, if you will. Your mindset effects everything around you and most importantly yourself in every aspect. Listening to the Kava and your body is key.

After drinking Kava for a long enough period, “paying your dues,” I have found the taste to become much less offending and often times pleasant as with reverse tolerance taking effect. I don’t really get the nausea anymore and can drink as much as like for the most part. The Krunk is definitely pleasant but you will most likely start appreciating some of the more subtle effects and find those as desirable if not more so.

My advice to anyone is to stick with it, try a variety of different strains, and meditate with it for whatever that means to you.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
If you try to force yourself to drink beyond what your body can stand then you will have a terrible time and most likely continue disliking the taste. In fact your body might start rejecting it just off the smell/taste alone.
Yes!!! You can train yourself to hate kava. Then, of course, the body instinctively tries to avoid what it sees as "poison" but conversely, you can train yourself to like kava.

Sometimes it's ok to just have a small amount of kava. Especially if that's what kava is telling you. So have a small shell and go do what you gotta do. Don't worry, kava will wait for you, patiently, for when it is time to have more. Kava will always be there, or it has been for 3000 years. She's been holding on pretty well.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Great thread! Central theme listen to the kava. When you're going for the krunk the Vanuatu's are a good place , more body sedative types or balanced but I'd stay away from heady kavas for that purpose. Headier kavas are great to have a couple shells and get creative do some jammin' or writing but the couch lock krunk you're better off with heavier kava's .