What's new

The taste !!! UGGHHHH

DottyLotty

Kava Curious
Despite problems with my USA order I have managed to get some Kava from closer to home.An excellent service and it arrived within 24 hours. I read all the advice and I took it slow.I stirred one tablespoonful into a little youghurt.Half way in my body went "AAAHHH" and I was 100% chilled.I left the rest in the fridge for another time.I went to bed half starved as I was paranoid about the whole empty stomach thing.I think timings etc are something I need to work on !!
But oh dear me,the TASTE ! How on earth can I get past this ? I had wanted paste as obviously I realise its far less to get down,but my order seems to be stuck somewhere in the USA and I have powder for now.In the end ,empty stomach warnings were ignored and I had a spoonful of picallili just to take away the taste ! No way can I ever use it in liquid .
I love how it made me feel...and I am 100% convinced it will help me taper off the prescription meds I have had to take (Following pretty grim surgeries) I just need to figure out a way to avoid the taste !
HELP !!!!

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
Despite problems with my USA order I have managed to get some Kava from closer to home.An excellent service and it arrived within 24 hours. I read all the advice and I took it slow.I stirred one tablespoonful into a little youghurt.Half way in my body went "AAAHHH" and I was 100% chilled.I left the rest in the fridge for another time.I went to bed half starved as I was paranoid about the whole empty stomach thing.I think timings etc are something I need to work on !!
But oh dear me,the TASTE ! How on earth can I get past this ? I had wanted paste as obviously I realise its far less to get down,but my order seems to be stuck somewhere in the USA and I have powder for now.In the end ,empty stomach warnings were ignored and I had a spoonful of picallili just to take away the taste ! No way can I ever use it in liquid .
I love how it made me feel...and I am 100% convinced it will help me taper off the prescription meds I have had to take (Following pretty grim surgeries) I just need to figure out a way to avoid the taste !
HELP !!!!
My experience with different botanicals is that you get used to the taste, especially if the experiences with the feeling they give you is positive.
But a tips that can be more of help: Those kind of lemonades (Squash?) that you buy in bottles and then mix with water, is really good at taking away most of the bad taste. I use a brand called ZerOH and I find that their elderberry & lime makes the kava taste good. Not sure if this brand is available in the UK tho.

I found an example of what I am talking about, I just add enough to mask the taste before i chug it. I also find it as a really important thing to take a bite of something that tastes good right afterward, to remove the taste from mouth and throat.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
I despise the taste of it as well, the way I get around it is keeping fresh lemons around. I use a lemon squeezer and squeeze about 1/2 to 3/4 of a lemon into my pitcher when I make my kava and it is MUCH more drinkable, and this is coming from someone who gags at the flavor frequently

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
I despise the taste of it as well, the way I get around it is keeping fresh lemons around. I use a lemon squeezer and squeeze about 1/2 to 3/4 of a lemon into my pitcher when I make my kava and it is MUCH more drinkable, and this is coming from someone who gags at the flavor frequently
I read some posts claiming that citrus fruit, or acidic things in general, takes away a lot of the effect. But I also find a lot of people drinking kava with citrus fruit like you. Have you noticed any difference? I can really say that I do.

ThatDankK

I read some posts claiming that citrus fruit, or acidic things in general, takes away a lot of the effect. But I also find a lot of people drinking kava with citrus fruit like you. Have you noticed any difference? I can really say that I do.
Hmm I'm not sure, I'd have to get back to you on that i haven't noticed anything

DottyLotty

Kava Curious
That could be the best suggestion to date as I love all things lemon.

DottyLotty

Kava Curious
Would you mind telling me what you mean by psychoactive effect,and is it a good thing to reduce it or a bad thing ? Sorry if this sounds a bit dim,but this is all very new to me .

ThatDankK

@DottyLotty @babesugarbunny I don't believe there's a big enough difference to notice if there is one at all. I'll put a little bit of research into it to see if there's any substance to the claim

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
https://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/buy-lemon-juice-pronto.2575/ this post @babesugarbunny may be the one you're referring to. In this one, it only suggests grape fruit juice to maybe possibly inhibit an enzyme that effects other drugs. But lemon juice seems to be used by others and in my book is in the clear
Yes, that was one of the threads. In another one there is a claim that on some islands where kava is consumed traditionally, citrus fruit is never consumed closed to kava because it is seemed as something that kills the effect. But I have not seen any scientific proof of this or even someone who have tried to compare the difference with and without citrus. So I guess there is no reason to worry... Sorry if it seemed like I claimed that it's something we all should avoid.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
HELP !!!!
I remain puzzled at the common notion of kava/'awa/sakau/ava, taste issues.
Let's get back to tradition- drink small amounts and toss the beverage back over any
taste areas like say the tongue. If we can get past the notion that everthing we place
in our mouth must be tasted, we are on the right track.

ThatDankK

I remain puzzled at the common notion of kava/'awa/sakau/ava, taste issues.
Let's get back to tradition- drink small amounts and toss the beverage back over any
taste areas like say the tongue. If we can get past the notion that everthing we place
in our mouth must be tasted, we are on the right track.
I have a hard time tossing things back or chugging them when it has a numbing effect. It makes me gag/almost upchuck pretty quickly

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I have a hard time tossing things back or chugging them when it has a numbing effect. It makes me gag/almost upchuck pretty quickly
That is interesting condition. Maybe more people have it than I would realize.
I have learned something new in that some people might have a hard time drinking
kava in the traditional...toss back way! Thanks.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Would you mind telling me what you mean by psychoactive effect,and is it a good thing to reduce it or a bad thing ? Sorry if this sounds a bit dim,but this is all very new to me .
Hi, and sorry I ommitted (left out) my typical warm welcome to the forum here, it's a lovely warm and friendly cove of the internet, choc full of very wise and knowledgable, open minded members with so much experience to share.

So you asked good questions, not at all dim but very worthy, as there was actually a very specific context I commented on to the member @ThatDankK . We chatted numerous times about Kava and various other psychoactive substances, and he expressed his wish that he was able to experience stronger psychoactive effects from Kava, as I described experiencing myself.

So it just occurred to me, as this member above discloses how he uses Lemon to help with taste, that if citrus fruits do actually diminish the psychoactive, as in, drug like, mind and mood altering effects of kava, the lemon he uses may possibly be blocking the full action of the Kavalactones.

It was just a consideration.

Now your other good question- whether it is a good or bad thing to reduce psychoactive effects:

Generally, people are disappointed when Kava does not affect them psychoactively as much as it appears to with others.

But with any medicinal AND psychoactive herb or remedy, in some cases wherevthe medicinal benefits are the primary aim, it could be appreciated to reduce the psychoactive effects while still receiving the full medicinal support.

Sorry for the confusion, you were right to ask for some elaboration and clarification, as my comment was very contextual in relation to the member who would appreciate a stronger psychoactive mindset from Kava.