What's new

Vanuatu Cyclone - How You Can Help

verticity

I'm interested in things
Here is a list of some of the aid organizations that are assisting with the relief effort. For those of us not in the region, the best way we can help is to donate money. I am not sure which of these organizations will give you the most "bang" for your donated buck--that is, which are most directly involved in Vanuatu itself. All I know about these orgs is that they have put out press releases saying they are doing something. If anyone has any more information about what specific organizations are doing, please post it here. Also if you know of other or more appropriate agencies to donate to, please post here.

We will be heading to Vanuatu in less than 3 weeks and have partnered with wavesforwater and waterislife to bring some of these communities easy to operate water filters. Each of these filters can supply up to 100 people drinking water for up to 5 years. We are bringing as many extra suitcases exclusively for these filters as we need. Please take a look at our campaign on http://www.wavesforwater.org/courier/clean-water-for-devastated-vanuatu and donate to buying a filter if you can or share with your friends who may be interested. All donations are tax deductible and 100% goes toward the filters.
Waves for Water - Clean water for devastated Vanuatu (Mike Munsell of Kalm with Kava)

If you want to donate money that you know will be going into direct action now, please forward money to Pro Medical ... who are now getting water to the satellite islands around Efate and are cutting through red tape.
ProMedical Vanuatu
A Day's Pay To Save Vanuatu - Relief effort by superyacht industry

Jump Start Foundation (Tanna Island)
UNICEF New Zealand
UNICEF Australia
UNICEF USA
Australian Red Cross
Vanuatu Red Cross
ShelterBox New Zealand
New Zealand Red Cross - Pacific Disaster Fund
World Vision
Oxfam New Zealand
Oxfam America - Cyclone Pam Fund
Oxfam Australia
Care International Vanuatu
International Organization for Migration
Télécoms Sans Frontières
Save the Children Australia - Crisis Fund
UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs - How to Donate
TEAR Fund
Act for Peace
Nelson and Heidi’s Panita Community (Tongoa Island, Vanuatu)

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Hey @kavadude , what if the forum made up some kind of page, that could be linked to our Facebook accounts? Something that can be shared. Its nice to use cheep advertisements. Facebook, is pretty much free. Much Love Roaddog....

verticity

I'm interested in things
If you are in the US take advantage of this special deal to increase your donation by 25% to New Zealand charities!
nz_exhange_rate.png

Obviously I'm kidding but would like to point out that it is extremely easy to donate to a foreign charity. Your credit card or Pay Pal will take care of the conversion automatically, so don't worry about that being an obstacle. Also check to be sure what kind of dollars the payment site accepts, NZ, AUS or US, so you don't accidentally donate less than you intended to!

verticity

I'm interested in things
A personal update from Alice Clements, who is in Vanuatu for UNICEF, recorded during the height of the storm.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'm trying to figure out which one to do. I think I'd rather donate directly to something like the Pacific Disaster Fund, but I need to sit down with something like Charity Navigator.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Charity Navigator seems to only list US charities. When you search for Red Cross for example it comes up with Red Cross America, etc. Not sure to what extent those would apply to the Aus and NZ versions. I made a donation to Oxfam New Zealand, based on what GKE said, previous good things I have heard about it (although it is not without some controversy), and the fact that they have a fund you can donate to specifically for Cyclone Pam relief.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Sold!

I'm trying to donate now, but they don't have a spot for U.S. State which kinda worries me. It just says N/A next to the zip code so I think that might cause a billing issue. I'll have to call them later.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I just put my [city],[state] in the city field, and the transaction went through without any problem.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Also made a small donation. It is really sad to see this happening. I don't have any relationship with Vanuatu. I don't know what the people are like - but they are bringing kava to the world and that is enough for me to be engaged in this. I wish them all the best and may time heal this trauma :(

PS: What about a concerted effort of kava vendors? Say a 1% Vanuatu "Tax" or something?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I don't have any relationship with Vanuatu. I don't know what the people are like - but they are bringing kava to the world and that is enough for me to be engaged in this.
The fact that you are a kava consumer means that you do have a relationship with Vanuatu. But I know what you mean. I have never been there, and my knowledge is quite limited, but by all accounts they are wonderful people.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Heads up, Oxfam New Zealand charges in NZD (duh). I kinda blitzed through the page so I don't even remember if there was a conversion note on there. On the other hand, the transaction posted fine without my bank getting mad at me.