What's new

Vanuatu official endorses Tudei, proposes discarding Kava Act.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
He's "sat on the sidelines and watched this debacle since 2016"...that's actually pretty late to the party though, isn't it, to be behaving like this is suddenly such an urgent imperative to him personally and for the country. Also considering tudei export has been banned since at least 2002, even if only being taken more seriously in 2013/2014.

The only people with any detriment to their business(in Vanuatu) are those who are sitting a lot of tudei to sell, which is a small fraction of what's growing out there. The vastly more cultivated/sold/consumed noble varieties are likely selling exponentially more over the last decade, especially the last 5 years. I don't have the data, but if you've been watching the US/international kava industry for a long time, it's quite clear that kava consumption is both more popular and pricey than ever before. The bigger problem is actually keeping up with the demand these days, not that there aren't enough sales being made because of the tudei issue.

And whatever side you take on it, no one should try to abolish the distinction between the two varieties, which it sounds like Shing would like to do. Even if tudei exports became legal, the distinction needs to be made, not just so that newbies and light drinkers don't accidentally get whapped with unpleasant side-effects from unknowingly drinking tudei...but also because people who specifically require tudei for certain reasons/occasions would be equally disappointed if the kava they wanted were instead a light, heady, drinking kava.

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
After 15+ years of decimated kava trade, an unbelievable amount of effort by Vanuatu and international experts to renew the industry, and the passing and gazetting of Vanuatu kava laws, the industry still stands threatened by a profit-hungry exporter, his intimidated cohorts, and an American drug dealer. And given the sad state of the Vanuatu government, they might actually win.

From what I hear, the actual scientists are as sick of this as I am and may just sit this one out. If Vanuatu chooses to sink their own ship, so be it.
I don't think tudei will become accepted - there are too many people know about it now. Whilst Colmar is only looking at his profit,the biggest export market for actual drinking as opposed to pharma, new Caledonia - is well ware of the noble/ tudei difference.
The noble cat is well and truly out of the bag in Vanuatu, everyone knows about it. Who called the meeting?

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
@Henry @verticity @Kapmcrunk

The following email is from a very reliable source, and known to be genuine. No, I cannot say who, and yes, Acting Director General Shing has the power to change the Kava Act. A sickening testimony of corruption in Vanuatu, and a sad day for kava.

Dr Bogiri, PHAMA et al

From the office of the Director General of MALFFB.
Please reschedule this meeting to the first week begining 5th March 2018. We have been following the Kava Dossier at the Ministry, The Tudei Kava debate and also the Kava Codex document. We have also been privy to all the ongoing correspondences between PHAMA and various players in the Vanuatu Kava Industry...Both Foreign and Domestic

The Ministry has decided that it must now weigh in on the conversation for the good of the country, its farmers and to protect its markets. Since the advert of this Nobel variety nonsense we have seen a decline in exports, increase in costs and reduction in Value for the rural farmers. At this meeting to be scheduled as directed above, all stakeholders must be present and unless there is empirical and definitive evidence of the harmful effects the so called Tudei Varieties, the ministry will be issuing directives to rectify this woefully mismanaged situation. It is unfortunate that we have had to come to this stage but we cannot allow this petty egotistical nonsense to continue to the detriment of the industry and the country.

Your instructions are as follows;
1. Reschedule meeting of the KIA with the agenda specified in the emails below.
2. Include in agenda a provision for discussion on the Tudei/Noble and the Kava Act.
3. Include in the agenda a review to the TOR prepared by PHAMA for the consultant to be hired for the literature review.
4. A discussion regarding the appointment of the evaluation panel to select the consultant
5. The composition and representation of the evaluation and selection panel
3. Advise all parties to come prepared.
4. Ensure that all parties are present including the kava farmers, those from dept of industry, VBS, state law office and any others that

Phama to aslo bring with it all research that supports its position that Tudei are harmful and not just the Lebot and Schmidtt doctorines.... which the Ministry has already concluded are woefully inadequate and incorrect to answer the questions at hand.

At this meeting we will get an honest answer once and for all and then no longer waste valuable time, money and effort of which faction is right as we will be issuing policy directions, making regulatory amendments ( where required) to give effect to the policy directions.

The Minister and I have sat on the sidelines and watched this debacle since 2016. enough is enough. I trust that these directives are explicit enough, however should you or anyone else have any further queries, please do not hesitate to raise it here. If I have missed anyone out, please forward to those concerned.

Kindest regards

NEPCEVANHAS Benjamin Shing
A/DG
MALFFB| Government of the Republic of Vanuatu| M: +678 7741621| E: [email protected]
Was the decrease in exports because noble takes longer to grow?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Was the decrease in exports because noble takes longer to grow?
No. The claimed decrease in exports was likely because of a shortage caused by category 5 tropical cyclone Pam which decimated Vanuatu and that was followed by a long drought.

He gave three reasons:

Decline in exports, increase in costs and reduction in Value for the rural farmers.
The increase in costs is true. Any time you have to implement stricter quality control, it costs the manufacturer a bit more money. But this is short term and will fix itself as kava farmers who've been growing tudei specifically for the export market switch back to noble (remember that they started growing tudei commercially specifically for the export market, so this is just a return to traditional practice where tudei is grown a little on the side with noble cultivars dominating).

As for the reduction in value for farmers, this isn't true. Trade in tudei didn't stop overnight. It's been slowly phased out as the market has adjusted. Tudei kava is still being exported today. In any case, they have a massive local market that can continue to buy tudei as the transition happens. Oh wait! Do the locals not drink tudei? *ding* *ding* *ding*

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm guessing they don't need the American market then? I don't intend on reducing any rhetoric which tells the truth about what non-noble kava can do to you. In fact, it's time to ratchet up. An informed consumer will choose noble kava. We will continue educating. That's some bullshit though. What it tells me is that they're explicitly putting profits over human health. Tudei kava sales do nothing but pad the bottom line of shitty "kava" bars that want something that has an "effect" no matter what. And with K@ on the edge as it is, I'm sure having tudei as a fall back seems like a great idea.

We'll be here when the reports of sickness begin to roll in. As much as it pains and saddens me to say that. We'll be here.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Thanks for sharing this, Deleted User. I've forwarded it to Yumi Toktok Stret as well... see what the local feelings on this might be.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
So, what exactly might this mean? What could the potential outcomes of this meeting be? :confused:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Bio-piracy? Well shucks, they got me. I've been keeping it to myself this whole time because I secretly LOVE my skin flaking off and bleeding. The amount of spin put on this rivals that of today's US political parties.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Dr. Schmidt and Vanuatu Kava Industry Association Chairman respond, also quotes an unnamed American vendor (on the pro-Noble side) who I might guess is someone we know:

Excerpts:
"Dr. Mathias Schmidt, a well respected German scientist who has fought tooth and nail to defend the kava market in Europe after the kava ban came into effect in 2002, claims that despite all the efforts made to promote strictly noble kava varieties on the EU market, two-day kava has once again found its way into Europe.
He predicts that the market may not close its doors immediately but that kava exporters will feel the effect sooner or later.
“The consequence is that Germany will clearly not buy any kava from Vanuatu because we do not need to, there are alternatives where real kava is still valued. Samoa is one of these options,” Schmidt says.
“Frankly, i am disappointed, to put it mildly”.
Meanwhile, Vanuatu Kava Industry Association Chairman, Michael Louze advises, “If we do not want history to repeat itself, we have to be very careful with what we do. They request noble kava cultivars, so we should supply noble, which are proven safe kava”.
The Chairman spoke to Daily Post yesterday while waiting to attend the Government planned meeting today.
He however adds, “Two-day and noble are different. Saying otherwise is false. If any pharmaceuticals group oversea want some specifically some two-day kava, all the importer needs to do is to write a letter to request tudei kava, it is very clear in the present Kava Act”.
"[the Chairman also said:] “If they find a problem with tudei kava in the US, they won’t say tudei kava but kava from Vanuatu to shut the export door on us and our green gold....”.
[emphasis added]
http://dailypost.vu/news/noble-kava...cle_a6db1125-e08c-5fd6-830e-fffe3b23acb3.html

[looks like @kasa_balavu just posted the same link... but mine has 'added value' excerpts LOL]

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
If any pharmaceuticals group oversea want some specifically some two-day kava, all the importer needs to do is to write a letter to request tudei kava, it is very clear in the present Kava Act”.
That's the thing! The law has always been this way since 2002. If a kava importer wants tudei or medicinal all they have to do to get it legally is ASK for it.

So why is the "dirty kava" crew spinning it like there's some kind of ban against their livelihood? There isn't.

Just label the kava honestly and don't adulterate it. That's all I would want.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
That's the thing! The law has always been this way since 2002. If a kava importer wants tudei or medicinal all they have to do to get it legally is ASK for it.

So why is the "dirty kava" crew spinning it like there's some kind of ban against their livelihood? There isn't.

Just label the kava honestly and don't adulterate it. That's all I would want.
Seems to be a propaganda thing.They know that the market has rejected tudei kava and that one vlogger isn't enough to turn that around so this is a smart way to reboot the marketing efforts.

They want to be able to say that tudei kava was never a problem, that the Vanuatu people have realized this and have thus corrected their earlier mistake of restricting its export.

Last edited: