What's new

Waka chemotype?

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Does anybody know what chemotype waka is? I know it's high in kavain but there is something about fijian kava that ISN'T just kavain going on, its buzzy and euphoric and stoney in a weird, perception altering way, other kavas high in kavain like Van3 or fu'u just aren't like this.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would depend on the strain of waka no? "Waka" just means 100% lateral roots. I assume there are many varieties of kava in Fiji.

That said, I know what you mean. Fijian kava does have a distinct awesomeness to it. I've loved all the waka Ive tried. KBR's waka is a old favorite.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Not 100%, but I'm fairly certain that the Wakacon is "Fiji Waka". Although I also see a "Fiji Lawena" sold by Wakacon. Wakacon's Fiji was the first ground root that I ever tried but I didn't have my head wrapped around the process involved so I think I just wasted it.

I'm still somewhat interested in trying it again since it pops up on here regularly but, in the end, I just feel better dealing with an established vendor like KBR or BKH than going through Amazon. I'm more concerned about quality control regarding a product like that.

I did just run across their website: http://www.wakacon.com/ but it doesn't do much to boost my opinion of it, honestly. The "Returns" link threw a red flag as they do not "except any returns for any reason", all sales final. Only contact info is a Yahoo email address and a P.O. box in Salt Lake City. So, maybe i'm not so interested in this now, just saying...

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I don't care if their website is lame, their kava is incredible. The lawena is non lateral roots and has more kavain and less DHM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Fair enough, @yepimonfire I'm curious to know how much of Wakacon's kava you've gone through? If you haven't experienced any health problems or adverse reaction to this then maybe it is just a poor website/web presence for a decent product. I'm also a fan of higher Kavain strains so I'll keep debating this one with myself.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I've consumed about 7lbs of it. Recent bloods say my liver is fine. It's just kava, damned good kava. Avoid it if you must but you're missing out :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deactivated Account

Well there you go, i spoke too soon….just bought some more this morning & low & behold…its labeled.

Ive googled Tuki 'till the cows come home & still dont know what it means.

Going to be an interesting afternoon.

photo copy.JPG

D

Deactivated Account

means "to pound" in a lot of pacific languages. maybe it means you're going to pound the kava down, or the kava is going to pound you. sounds good to me.
Ahh ok cheers KD, Just mixed up a litre & its nothing to write home about (ie lobotomising properties as i like my kava to be) Will have to make my next batch a bigger stronger brew, which knowing me will be in about 30 mins time.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The most I've been able to find out about Fijian cultivars (although some info may have changed over the years) is that they have several different cultivars that they name as a description of each plant's specific appearance. And secondly they name the part of the plant used. Waka:Lateral Roots, Lewena:The Underground Stump, Kasa:The 1st few nodes or internodes of the stem.
Cultivar names include:
-Vula kasa leka (vula='white', kasa='internode', leka='short')
-Loa kasa balavu (loa='black', kasa='internode', balavu='long')
-Loa kasa leka
-Dokbana vula
-Qila leka
-Qila balavu
-Matakaro leka
-Matakaro balavu
-Damu

-Qila bulavu
-Honolulu

Commercially, loa kasa leka and loa kasa baluva were the main exports.
Although I've personally never seen any website sell Fijian kava by it's actual cultivar name. I only people sell it as fiji waka or lewena. I've also never seen the 'kasa' grind for sale. The lateral roots have the most kavalactones and I think they also always have more dhm/dhk...so even if the chemotype has a good amount of Kavain there will still be a good balance of heavier lactones in there. 'Lewena' root stump grind is lighter and more kavain-centric.

I looked up the word 'tuki' too and came up with the word 'hammer'. so that fits with kavadudes description 'to pound'.
I agree it probably describes what it does to you or how it was prepared.
I still haven't found a list of Fijian chemotypes though :banghead:
Also, it seems as though different vendors have different fiji wakas. Some seem to be more kavainy and some seem to be less. But they all seem to be fairly balanced and don't fall completely on one side of the spectrum or the other.
And regarding Wakacon as a vendor. I've never had 'em. But I'm guessing it's legit because I see it's from Salt Lake City, which happens to have a fairly big Tongan/Samoan community.

Last edited:
D

Deactivated Account

Tks Shakas. Ive found the basic fiji kava to be generally ok…the one ive posted a photo of is on the lower end of the scale yet the one i had last week was very good. Really powdered kava is just so subjective. What one person says is ok, may well be saw dust to someone else. If we all met in a room with our own kava, methods & expectations i bet the differences would be quite vast. My ready reckoner is that if i need to put a hand over one eye to walk…then its a keeper.

D

Deleted User01

Well, I have heard a few people Rave about WakaCon. Good value for the money. Not a huge fan of Fiji Kava but you have piqued my interest Yepimon. Anyone else that has ordered this Kava, please post your opinions.

D

Deleted User01

Nemo, can't you at least put the whole bag in a few ounces of water and make a super, duper strong brew? Hate to see stuff thrown away like that. In any event, where do you get the good stuff and what type is it? I hope you don't you have to go to the islands every time you crave a shell.

D

Deactivated Account

Nemo, can't you at least put the whole bag in a few ounces of water and make a super, duper strong brew? Hate to see stuff thrown away like that. In any event, where do you get the good stuff and what type is it? I hope you don't you have to go to the islands every time you crave a shell.
Mate you can make it that thick as you know, i often almost get it to a thin mud but it gets hard to enjoy then. Honestly apart from the occassional kg like this i generally do just wait every 6 months or so to get to vanuatu. The difference is chalk & cheese & it makes you very critical of powder. Fresh kava does not affect my body like powder does. Powder can make me feel very bloated along with the dreaded lizard skin as well as a type of hang over, fresh wont do that…no idea why. I booked a flight at the end of the month so just a few weeks now.

D

Deleted User01

Nemo, you got a point there. It may be time to use your farming and ranching skills to start growing your own Kava. When I read your description of fresh Kava it sounds like the nectar of the gods unlike the nectar of the Mud Lords which I will be sipping in 30 minutes.

D

Deactivated Account

Nemo, you got a point there. It may be time to use your farming and ranching skills to start growing your own Kava. When I read your description of fresh Kava it sounds like the nectar of the gods unlike the nectar of the Mud Lords which I will be sipping in 30 minutes.
Serious…the very first thought that came to me when i had my first few shells of fresh in a pv nakamal about 6 years ago was ' I'm home'

It was like....so this is what i can have ? It ruined my kava drinking so much that often now I don't even bother bringing my 2kg limit of powdered back with me through customs. It's that good by comparison. And that's a big call for a kava pig.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Serious…the very first thought that came to me when i had my first few shells of fresh in a pv nakamal about 6 years ago was ' I'm home'

It was like....so this is what i can have ? It ruined my kava drinking so much that often now I don't even bother bringing my 2kg limit of powdered back with me through customs. It's that good by comparison. And that's a big call for a kava pig.
Fresh kava sounds so damn nice...i want it so bad! It makes me wonder why some kava drinking islands like fiji, tonga & samoa often use powdered when they have fresh basically growing in their yards.