What's new

Waka post mortem

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
By ending up with tons of second and third wash of wakas in the fridge, I decided to put the whole thing in my blender with enough water to get mud, then strain and squeeze for 10min.
Wow! I didn't expected such a good effect! The taste was kind of washed out and weak but woooff! That was the greatest kava experience as of now.

Did you guys ever experience such a thing?

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
By ending up with tons of second and third wash of wakas in the fridge, I decided to put the whole thing in my blender with enough water to get mud, then strain and squeeze for 10min.
Wow! I didn't expected such a good effect! The taste was kind of washed out and weak but woooff! That was the greatest kava experience as of now.

All the time.

Reactions: Myk

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
I keep second or third wash of the current day in the fridge (small bowl with a saran wrap).
When accumulating too much and end up having it in the fridge for.more then 2 days I put them in the freezer in small ziplock bag. I make sure to remove as much air as I can and voila.

Yesterday, same experience. I did 6 cup using 80% of "from the freezer" and "from the fridge", with a 20% of fresh one.
Debilitating I say! But in a good way. I was making my wife laughing by looking at me when I walk lol!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I keep second or third wash of the current day in the fridge (small bowl with a saran wrap).
When accumulating too much and end up having it in the fridge for.more then 2 days I put them in the freezer in small ziplock bag. I make sure to remove as much air as I can and voila.

Yesterday, same experience. I did 6 cup using 80% of "from the freezer" and "from the fridge", with a 20% of fresh one.
Debilitating I say! But in a good way. I was making my wife laughing by looking at me when I walk lol!
ça y est

Reactions: Myk

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Wait , you folks accumulate kava? Mine disappears so quickly the wife says my shell has a large leak but when I put straight water in it seems to hold it for
eternity .::tanoafull::::chugger::::tanoa::

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Wait , you folks accumulate kava? Mine disappears so quickly the wife says my shell has a large leak but when I put straight water in it seems to hold it for
eternity .::tanoafull::::chugger::::tanoa::
My researches into greater and greater efficiencies in grog prep have enabled me to um, drink a lot more kava. Somehow it accumulates, though. I try not to drink the same kava two days in a row. In part this is to keep my receptors on their toes, the other is it makes better mongrel grog when it comes out of the freezer all mixed.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover

All the time. You just experienced your first freezer makas, my dude.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
'Mongrel Grog', 'Freezer Makas'...this thread is hilarious.
at the risk of heightened levity, I think we even need a new way to distinguish mongrel grog made from a mix of different dry medium grinds that have been aggregated, if not purposefully then by just chucking end bits of bags into a single jar, a spoon of this here, a spoon of that there, until you have enough to make a good bunch of shells vs usual mongrel grog made from frozen and thawed freezer makas that is made up of a variety of different medium grinds (the more the merrier, IMO).

I propose dry mongrel grog for grog made from more than 3 types of dry medium grind (with 2 or 3 it's still a blend and not mongrel, IMO) and wet mongrel for mongrel grog from the freezer, because in the former it's dry when it goes in the strainer bag and in the latter it is wet from thawing before it goes in the bag. In fact, that sogginess means more yield - when I do my first batch of wet mongrel I use 1/2 gal of hot water but it yields 1/2 gal plus at least an extra cup, which I drink right away, or even up to 2 cups. This is freebie grog or manna grog because it literally falls from heaven right into your shell. I would also stipulate that unless otherwise specified or indicated that "mongrel grog" is assumed to be made from thawed freezer makas that is made up of 4 or more different types of kava.

Finally, just on a side note, we had extra strong mongrel over the holiday weekend and after I did my usual 6 washes my wife pushed it to 9. AFAIK that is a record. She loved 9th wash and wouldn't share but let me have some 8th wash and it was pretty good.

Also, flakes made from later washes are very interesting indeed.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
at the risk of heightened levity, I think we even need a new way to distinguish mongrel grog made from a mix of different dry medium grinds that have been aggregated, if not purposefully then by just chucking end bits of bags into a single jar, a spoon of this here, a spoon of that there, until you have enough to make a good bunch of shells vs usual mongrel grog made from frozen and thawed freezer makas that is made up of a variety of different medium grinds (the more the merrier, IMO).

I propose dry mongrel grog for grog made from more than 3 types of dry medium grind (with 2 or 3 it's still a blend and not mongrel, IMO) and wet mongrel for mongrel grog from the freezer, because in the former it's dry when it goes in the strainer bag and in the latter it is wet from thawing before it goes in the bag. In fact, that sogginess means more yield - when I do my first batch of wet mongrel I use 1/2 gal of hot water but it yields 1/2 gal plus at least an extra cup, which I drink right away, or even up to 2 cups. This is freebie grog or manna grog because it literally falls from heaven right into your shell. I would also stipulate that unless otherwise specified or indicated that "mongrel grog" is assumed to be made from thawed freezer makas that is made up of 4 or more different types of kava.

Finally, just on a side note, we had extra strong mongrel over the holiday weekend and after I did my usual 6 washes my wife pushed it to 9. AFAIK that is a record. She loved 9th wash and wouldn't share but let me have some 8th wash and it was pretty good.

Also, flakes made from later washes are very interesting indeed.
Left over frozen makas - Siberian Mongrel Grog (SMG)
Left over remains from dry bags - Desert Mongrel Grog (DMG)

Speaking of which I had some killer DMG the other night with like 3 sets of leftovers added to some squanch taken from a full bag. Only after I had thrown out the bags and not really measured how much went in did I realize what a great mix it was! I wish I could recreate it.

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
I'm wondering how you guys are drying this up?
What about maka from emptying alubals?
How are you getting maka in the strainer dry in less then 24 hours?

Dried gror look like a mystery for me actually!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Left over frozen makas - Siberian Mongrel Grog (SMG)
Left over remains from dry bags - Desert Mongrel Grog (DMG)

Speaking of which I had some killer DMG the other night with like 3 sets of leftovers added to some squanch taken from a full bag. Only after I had thrown out the bags and not really measured how much went in did I realize what a great mix it was! I wish I could recreate it.
you have just stumbled upon the secret power of the mongrel grog!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'm wondering how you guys are drying this up?
What about maka from emptying alubals?
How are you getting maka in the strainer dry in less then 24 hours?

Dried gror look like a mystery for me actually!
dried just means the powder (medium grind) that comes in the mail when you buy it. When I get to the bottom of the bag, there might be a spoon or two or three of medium grind left but not enough to make a proper batch, so I just throw that in a jar and keep doing that with different almost empty bags until there's enough of that dry mixture in the jar to make a proper batch. I understand that most people usually just throw the extra into their last batch to make it stronger. Either is acceptable and a matter of personal taste, neither is "right."

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast

Re-doing the same thing today and... same magic! So many kavalatones hiden in that roots, despite what the taste can tell...