What's new

Water ratio and Dehydration Troubles

CrunkMonk

Kava Curious
Hi guys, I wanted to ask if anyone can give me advice on how much water to drink "after" a Kava session? Now I mix my Kava about 3T root powder to a quart of water for the ration of my sessions. I like to do between 25-30 grams of Kava per session.

I drink my Kava at night and end the session about 1 hour before bed. Usually I don't drink ANY water after my session and just plop into bed for about 6-7 hours.

My problem is lately I wake up in the morning with a cold sweat paranoid and shaking. At first I thought its was low blood sugar. But I got a blood sugar meter and that all was normal. So now I'm pretty sure I'm getting severe dehydration now as the symptoms do tend to go away about an hour or even two after drinking a lot of water.

I don't want to wake up and have to pee, so that's why I don't drink water after a session. But after facing something this severe, I better re think that idea.

Does anyone intentionally rehydrate after a session, and how much water do you think I need after a 25-30 gram session?

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I keep water by my bedside and sip it. If I go to the restroom, I bring my water and drink it or fill it. I am surprised about your experience, may be unrelated to anything nameable. Bula!

CrunkMonk

Kava Curious
Try standard glass of water, mineral water or something isotonic. What happened?
I had a terrible panic attack and though it might be cuz my electrolytes were off. But now I think the panic is withdrawal. For days now I can hardly function cuz I cut back on smoking the green herb. I though it was safe to get addicted to, and now I'm finding out otherwise.

Joe Rogan says it best, "there is no biological free lunch". We pay a price for everything we put in our bodies. I guess its better to ween rather than cut back so drastically or cold turkey quit substances in general...

I swear that this suffering is on a par with severe alcohol withdrawal for sure... I had brain lock, cold sweats, crying fits of rage and despair, a crazy intolerance to cold [as I could not stop shaking unless under a blanket], confusion, and strait up panic cuz I didn't know what was going on. But as soon as I smoked, it all went away...

CrunkMonk

Kava Curious
I keep water by my bedside and sip it. If I go to the restroom, I bring my water and drink it or fill it. I am surprised about your experience, may be unrelated to anything nameable. Bula!
Thanks, I just wanted to get a general idea of how people hydrate after a session. I like coconut water and I just learned how to make my own electrolyte water too. Your right, my panic was probably not Kava related. It seems to be withdrawal instead.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Wowzers, your cannabis withdrawal symptoms sound more reflective of K@ or booze! Especially the cold body feelings. I wish you feel your best. Sure you don't just have a cold or something and smoking rituals are good for relief?

Yes coconut water! Maple syrup too. I read that maple syrup molecules are like water molecules and help our body absorb water. From my understanding coconut and other fatty acids are good for lubricating cell walls, and enhancing communication between cells. I believe we form a shell of oil in or on our skin during times of dehydration, think about it. Bula CrunkMonk!

CrunkMonk

Kava Curious
Wowzers, your cannabis withdrawal symptoms sound more reflective of K@ or booze! Especially the cold body feelings. I wish you feel your best. Sure you don't just have a cold or something and smoking rituals are good for relief?

Yes coconut water! Maple syrup too. I read that maple syrup molecules are like water molecules and help our body absorb water. From my understanding coconut and other fatty acids are good for lubricating cell walls, and enhancing communication between cells. I believe we form a shell of oil in or on our skin during times of dehydration, think about it. Bula CrunkMonk!
I'm still not sure its the smoking as I really tapered back now. I started feeling strange after I got a new batch of Stone and Wow. That's when this shit started.... Could different numbered batches make me feel strange even though they are the same strain? Are the kavatones the same from batch to batch, or do they slightly change I wonder?

I did Stone 2.5 T the last two nights and I had the worst panic ever [mostly in them morning]. I felt a bit panicked during the sessions too and some of my muscles started to even tremble in a cold sweat [kava really cools me down almost too much sometimes], but I covered up with a blanket and slept fine...

I checked my blood sugar and its great. I have not drank alcohol in a month, or done K@ in many years.

I think this is a crazy kava hangover that my body can't handle. Now I am doing my kava session smack in the middle of a 16 hour fast [at the 7-8 hour mark]. Then I just go to bed. My panicked mornings sort of feel like being really krunked actually, I can't stand any light or noise and feel so disoriented. I have a hard time eating or even picking up stuff... I notice that I almost have to start doing yoga or moving around for the terror and very cold shaking panic to even start to go away. It takes about 5-6 hours for the whole episode to pass and that screws up my day royally!

I read the forum today on kava hangovers, and people said that traditionally food is eaten after kava. If I don't eat anything for 8-9 hours after a session for a total of 16-17 hours of fasting, its probably too much for me.

I have to admit I've done Stone and Wow kava every night for over 7 months now [no breaks]. I know you are suppose to take breaks but I feel like I need it to sleep. I can't eat 6-7 hours before I lay down cuz my digestion is slow and I can't sleep until all food is out of my small intestine. So I don't know what to do.

I was thinking about how plants communicate with us and I think the kava is telling me to take a break for awhile... I'll see how it goes... Thanks for replying Kavakarma, I really appreciate your time.

Last edited:

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
I dont think its purely a dehydration issue. I believe zinc and other vitamins need to be replenished after a session. I would get a drink with electrolytes or take cocnut oil or fish oil before and after a session

CrunkMonk

Kava Curious
In the end guys it looks like I have potassium deficiency and probably magnesium deficiency too. Kava is a diuretic so I wonder if using it every day might strip out potassium? Its really my western diet full of salt and little to no fruits, veggies, beans etc. is to blame more than Kava I suspect. I guess we need 4,700 mg of potassium per day! Its pretty hard to get if your not focused on it. The panic slowly subsided after juicing lots of veggies. Low potassium is no joke and it almost landed me in the ER.

hightides42

our Roots run deep
when in the army and after hard run or roadmarch, especially if accompanied by heavy sweat, I'd consume a banana with a glass of orange juice afterwards to avoid cramps and 'shin splints' likely due potassium loss thru sweat. and, i believe, kava is a diuretic, more urinating more potassium loss. and low potassium levels can be hard on the kidneys, which work to keep the system balanced. may want to get a test on them if you feel you were difficient for long.

anyways, maybe try washing down a banana with glass of OJ, might be helpful as an intervention when you start feeling an attack come on. or start the day with it, yogurt, molasses and dried apricots are also a good sources.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Oh you need to drink at least a few gulps of water. I used to not drink water and it made the nausea and next day hangover worst. The more water you drink, the better you’ll feel. And eat a snack. I eat mine during and before kava. Bread, cream of wheat, banana, any simple foods work great with kava. Do not eat chips, nuts, fast food, sugar

CrunkMonk

Kava Curious
when in the army and after hard run or roadmarch, especially if accompanied by heavy sweat, I'd consume a banana with a glass of orange juice afterwards to avoid cramps and 'shin splints' likely due potassium loss thru sweat. and, i believe, kava is a diuretic, more urinating more potassium loss. and low potassium levels can be hard on the kidneys, which work to keep the system balanced. may want to get a test on them if you feel you were difficient for long.

anyways, maybe try washing down a banana with glass of OJ, might be helpful as an intervention when you start feeling an attack come on. or start the day with it, yogurt, molasses and dried apricots are also a good sources.
I had this shaking panic on and off for a couple weeks at random. I pretty much went sober and I still felt terrible. I noticed that on days I ate a lot of potatoes, I felt better. That made me wonder about potassium. I started eating about 4,000mg of potassium a day in my diet and my symptoms went away. Another clue was how my muscles would twitch and quiver especially when cold. I've been eating lots of spinach just like Popeye lately. I guess potassium is the fuel for muscles so that old cartoon makes more sense to me now LOL. I can't have solid food anytime before bed so juice or molasses will have to do after a session.