What's new

Weight Loss from Kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EQ

Atman
Eh that's the man @Henry !

In relevance to the thread @Jana . Nevermind the BMI. Unless you have starvation symptoms you are fine no?. Eat so you are never hungry, and never full. That is the perfect state in my experience. Some Kavas stimulate appetite. KWK Loa Waka gives the munchies for me. That may be a good option. Only eat healthy, drink lots of water, and you will be fine.

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
My husband is concerned about the Kava. While he thinks it's great that it helps my anxiety/depression, he doesn't want me becoming dependent on Kava, and thinks it's too expensive, in addition to thinking the skin rash looks really unattractive. Well, it was fun while it lasted. He has no idea how much this has made a difference in my attitude and depression...I guess I will always just be a druggie to my family. Lol..

-- --

Update: He doesn't want to seem like he is forbidding it, or that he thinks it's bad, but he wants me to use caution and not overdo it. I always had this in mind from the get-go, but the bottom line is that I already have habits that he is supporting with his own hard-earned money and so I just need to be mindful of that. He does agree that if the anxiety/depression is helped by the Kava then he supports it 100%. Just doesn't want it becoming a crutch.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
@Jana Right before I 1st started drinking drinking kava daily, I had been cutting weight with minor diet changes and jumping rope, after I started the daily kava, I started losing more weight...since I was already at my ideal weight and didn't want to start looking gaunt or sickly--I did the rational thing and stopped exercising and started using butter and cheese again, eating chorizo everyday and basically anything i wanted for breakfast and lunch. I still had very small post kava meals for dinner though. Now, 3 or 4 years later...I've finally packed on some blubber, about 10 lbs too much actually. :D Gotta get back into the jump rope groove again:rolleyes:...but anyway...I ate completely carelessly for a few years and only started noticing it this year. Without kava and the schedule it keeps me on, it would have happened much sooner.

Also, just so you know, you can't become 'physically' dependent on kava...like the way alcohol, xanax and herion do. And the dermopathy skin only happens to you if you drink a lot of kava, for a long period time. Even then it usually isn't that bad...the picture of the fijian foot you saw was an extreme example and I don't think any of us have ever looked that bad.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
...Update: He doesn't want to seem like he is forbidding it, or that he thinks it's bad, but he wants me to use caution and not overdo it. I always had this in mind from the get-go, but the bottom line is that I already have habits that he is supporting with his own hard-earned money and so I just need to be mindful of that. He does agree that if the anxiety/depression is helped by the Kava then he supports it 100%. Just doesn't want it becoming a crutch.
I'm not sure what habits you are referring to, but in the event they involve substances other than kava, kava can help you quit those other things.. And my apologies if that is not what it is and you are talking about some other kind of habit...I don't want to make any assumptions here.. And I apologize in advance if this is not my business..

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure what habits you are referring to, but in the event they involve substances other than kava, kava can help you quit those other things.. And my apologies if that is not what it is and you are talking about some other kind of habit...I don't want to make any assumptions here.. And I apologize in advance if this is not my business..
Hahaha. No, it's all good. Those habits would be cigarettes and MJ. :) But still, can get pretty expensive. D:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hahaha. No, it's all good. Those habits would be cigarettes and MJ. :) But still, can get pretty expensive. D:
OK, well kava could help you phase out the MJ.. if you feel you want to try that. Kava is less harmful and habit-forming overall. Not that MJ is very harmful; but I think kava is relatively less so, and it is surely less expensive.. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just maybe give you something to think about..

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
OK, well kava could help you phase out the MJ.. if you feel you want to try that. Kava is less harmful and habit-forming overall. Not that MJ is very harmful; but I think kava is relatively less so, and it is surely less expensive.. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just maybe give you something to think about..
That would be awesome if I could. It would certainly save on money that's for sure. Lol! I'll give it some consideration. I still have some kinks to work out compatibility wise when it comes to the kind of Kava I think would be best, but if I could save my lungs from the smoke and crap, that is a definite plus.

verticity

I'm interested in things
That would be awesome if I could. It would certainly save on money that's for sure. Lol! I'll give it some consideration. I still have some kinks to work out compatibility wise when it comes to the kind of Kava I think would be best, but if I could save my lungs from the smoke and crap, that is a definite plus.
As far as smoke and crap goes, a lot of people here are into vaping, which is *probably* less harmful than actual smoking, I'm sure you could learn all about it from people here... I was old school and used the patch to quit smoking (tobacco)...and it worked really well for me (although I was addicted to the patch for a few years..)

Panthau

Kava Curious
Smoking is actually one of the most useless things. Im so glad i quit many years ago... paying for something that destroys my health is just ridicolous. Then again, im working for the biggest cigarette company in the world... so im depending on you to keep smoking. lol

Regarding appetite... this might become a problem for me. Losing a few pounds might not be too bad, but all in all i want to keep my hard
earned he-man body... lol. And the mixture of watching soccer (EM!), pizza & beer (kava in that case) is just too good... besides not being hungry when my
gf cooked, which sucks as well. Is there anything one could do, besides switching strains?

Crunked

Proselytizer
My husband is concerned about the Kava. While he thinks it's great that it helps my anxiety/depression, he doesn't want me becoming dependent on Kava, and thinks it's too expensive, i
Dependence is a slippery concept. I guess we are all dependent on some things on a daily basis. Perhaps the question should be: Does the dependence negatively affect us or people we deal with? Or does it help us to enjoy life and to interact with others? Plenty of people are dependent on their morning coffee. Should they give up because they are dependent?
On the cost question, you may find it helpful do some arithmetic comparing kava to a substitute. Take alcohol. Work out how much you would spend in a month if you drank alcohol but no kava, then calculate the reverse. You may find that kava is very cost effective.
For the rash, you may wish to experiment with other Kavas, especially instant (if that still wins on the arithmetic above).

F3TU5

Kava Enthusiast
Kava got me off MJ first. Then about 6 months later I got off nicotine all together. It's an awesome plant. Also when it came to cigs, they made me more anxious. Once you're off you see how they hold you back.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I still smoke cannabis and since kava I can just choose to smoke now rather than being dependant on it . Even when I don't have kava I don't feel a need to smoke.
Kava also helps immensely with nicotene withdrawls .

Cannabis is the most expensive drug beside cocaine. Lol.
If your getting medical quality, it's gotta be about 40 an eighth if not more. Unless your buying bulk at like 200 an ounce... 40 bucks for 3.5 grams !!!!!! That's a pound of squanch kava ... a pound !!!!

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
I still smoke cannabis and since kava I can just choose to smoke now rather than being dependant on it . Even when I don't have kava I don't feel a need to smoke.
Kava also helps immensely with nicotene withdrawls .

Cannabis is the most expensive drug beside cocaine. Lol.
If your getting medical quality, it's gotta be about 40 an eighth if not more. Unless your buying bulk at like 200 an ounce... 40 bucks for 3.5 grams !!!!!! That's a pound of squanch kava ... a pound !!!!
Hahaha. Unfortunately it isn't medical but I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. I get about oz/$80 where I live.

Rose69

I have lost 11 lbs since drinking Kava - I am your height 5'2' and I am 123 as of this morning . I was not overweight before I always ate good food and I am a runner - the only thing that changed is the alcohol - I used to drink it at night to make my brain stop thinking so I could sleep - I tried Kava to replace the alcohol. I may eat at night a little less because I drink the Kava before eating then force myself to eat something for dinner . I think at 90 your not too far off on the "normal" weight - If you are concerned maybe a good protein drink during the day may help.

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Your height: 5'2''
Your weight: 90 lbs
Your BMI: 16.5

But I don't feel like I'm starving, or like I'm super weak or dizzy or lightheaded...I'm always okay. I think I am too thin but it's just really difficult to gain weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.