What's new

Welcome to all the new folks.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Just wanted to say welcome to everybody thats new . Also when i was new about 10 months ago pretty much everyone on here was so warm and full of help. I love this forum for so many reasons . It makes my heart full to be a part of it and this life changing root. Also if we keep growing were gonna have to all book a place on the beach somewhere and have a kava convention. So thank you to all the vendors and admins and my fellows here who make this such a good experience.:D

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
If yer new and ya know it clap yer hands....

If you're new and ya know it, and you really want to show it clap yer hands...:smuggrin:

In all seriousness, It's good to see a lot of new people joining up. The community has really grown since the time I first started coming around about 2 years ago.

Chris Gauthier

Kava Curious
Good to be here and to have the warm welcome. You all seem like good people. Sadly, I doubt I'll post much. Concentrating on typing and forming coherent paragraphs is somewhat unpleasant for me when krunk and that's when I'm most likely to be browsing this site. HOpefully this passes as I get more used to it.

KavaJefe

Kava Curious
It's definitely my pleasure to "Clap, Clap" This place is awesome and this thread is just another way of showing that. thanks for the welcome arms!

Blomdor

Envoy of the Dealfish
Thank you! < 3

Good to meet ye all. Seconding the Kava Konvention idea. Samples from many vendors, a nice spot on the beach, and of course everyone gets nice and krunk, mellow, high, whatever ye may call it. Would be great fun : P.

Yarr!

bobarctor

Kava Curious
Thanks, I'm also pretty new here - previously I was a lurker at the entheogen.com forums, and since then I haven't really found a helpful community dedicated to a single ethnobotanical (except perhaps K@ connoiseurs, but since K@ was illegalized where I live many years ago, and the fact that I don't really care for opioid-acting agents...) This forum thus far seems to be defined by a constant will to share and learn more about kava (even I contributed a bit by posting my find of a quite old magazine article about pioneers of kava research), sharing experiences with different strains, and providing vendors with feedback. And just some general krunked conversations, of course.

I love the effects of kava kava, and its use is not well-known at all around here in the Nordics. Some background: I was on Pregabalin for 4-5 years (for GAD) and decided the side-effects (which weren't that severe - loss of libido, facial rash, the feeling of idiocy when you realize you've forgotten your mediciation at home while travelling and feeling the first taste of withdrawals...) probably didn't outweigh the pros in the end. Kava helped me get through the immediate period after quickly cutting down.

There aren't even any "natural health shops" who carry crappy kava extracts. One big problem I have though is how it affects my digestion. Ginger solves some of it, but reading Chris's and others posts on the impact of the size of kava particles, micronized kava etc. gives me hope that given quality kava and new methodologies, we can create the best kava experience while still being authentic about it.

The first time I used kava must have been around 2004, but that was all crappy extracts and powdered kava with probably very high DHM and DHK content - either it was very ineffecient or wrecked havoc on my stomach... kind of put me off from the time being, and being poor I couldn't really afford trying out all the other interesting-looking strains out there.

Thanks to sites like this, it's easier to get an overview of what's on offer, and thus far I've had some great kava from paradisekava amongst others. Vendors seem extremely helpful, enthusiasts just like many of us. I am looking forward to trying out different variants and with different chemotypes from other vendors. Hoping that I'll be able to introduce this wonderful alternative to alcohol to other Scandinavian friends - it's nice krunking on your own, but sitting in a circle just shooting the shit and listening to music makes for half the experience imho. In the end they'll probably go "bleeuu peppery" and stick to their snus, folköl, street speed or ever-evolving lists of RC:s. But one can hope!

Last edited:

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie here and have been drinking kava for about two years now. I found our beloved beverage on a search for an alternative to quench my incessant anxiety. I hail from Canada where we can't buy it locally. They removed it from retailers a few years back during the 'big' scare. It's legal to import for personal consumption but you just can't sell it. How screwed up is that. Anyway, I've tried many brands and have a few favourites like everyone else. My current obsession includes working directly with the solid root but I'll save that for future conversations. I really enjoy learning from others and think this is a great platform to share with my fellow kava heads. See you online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
Another Canadian !! Welcome ! I'm a newb to kava so I'm just experimenting right now ..but everyones very helpful around here so I'm sure you'll fit right in

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
It's great to be here. I've lurked on numerous forums but have only actually joined two or three in my life.

The one thing I really like here is that no question is a dumb one even if the question may have been answered somewhere already.
Some other forums I've seen have a real attitude about this.

For example (on some other forums), I hate it when someone asks a question and someone replies with something like "Hey read through the 3 million+ other posts first before asking your questions here". The answer is actually there but it's in post 2,300,999. So the person asking the question has just spent 3 days to find the answer when the other guy knew the answer all along but didn't want to put the effort into giving you a link or just telling you the answer.

My other most hated reply to someones question is when someone posts this reply as an answer: "Google.com". That just gets my Kava boiling!!!

So bottom line, I apologize if my forum etiquette is sometimes off, but thanks for all the help and patience here even if you've been here for like ever.

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, I recently joined another forum and the amount of hostility and such is just mindblowing. Kavaforums has spoiled me and I appreciate how incredibly different it is from, really, any other website. I mean, we have vendor participation, a Wikipedia full of great information, tons of experience, a calm and welcoming atmosphere...... I could go on forever.

That being said, there are a lot of "basic" questions for which there are lots of good answers and/or information. I think the problem is most people don't see the "Wiki" tab and therefore don't see the wealth of info there. Our search function is very good here (must be XenForo).

Of course, it still is a bit frustrating to try to help answer everyone's questions sometimes when it could be resolved by simply looking at the wiki (for example, how to prepare kava of which there are a ton of great methods).

Kapm and some of us are working on a FAQ that is (even now) very good and for any newbs reading this thread, I beg of you, PLEASE go read it. Kavadude and I have put down pretty much everything we could think of there but it's still missing some stuff probably so feel free to add anything.
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/frequently-asked-questions/

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah, I recently joined another forum and the amount of hostility and such is just mindblowing. Kavaforums has spoiled me and I appreciate how incredibly different it is from, really, any other website. I mean, we have vendor participation, a Wikipedia full of great information, tons of experience, a calm and welcoming atmosphere...... I could go on forever.
Must be something in the water...

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
.... Our search function is very good here (must be XenForo).
I think search engines are great for the most part to help find information.

But I find I get poor or unsatisfying results searching when I'm trying to find something that I know little to nothing about.

It might take me literally hours of stabbing around in the dark on a search engine before I get a relevant hit. But after I understand the correct terminology or proper name for something that I'm interested in, then BAM after that I can get tons of hits for a properly worded search query. So now I've got the info I'm looking for, but burning all that time to get there is very frustrating.

That's why it's quicker and easier for ignorants like me to just ask someone who knows what they are talking about. Some people might call that being abusive or lazy. But I like to think of it as an efficient use of my time. :) But to be more serious, I can see that it's reasonable to ask someone to spend at least a little time and effort to answer the question themselves, before wasting someone else's time.

The holy grail for search engine software is trying to find the perfect way to perform "context relevant" oriented searches instead of "word" oriented ones. Google does it the best so far IMO, but compared to asking a human, it's still very primitive (again IMO).

Last edited:

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Yeah there is a chill laid back vibe to this site, it is almost like having a bowl of kava I hope, not that I know what it is like as I have not gotten my shipment yet and am krunking out with Yogi tea Kava as I type. I did not know about being krunked until seeing everyone here posting about it.

CanAwa

What I've noticed from my short time as a member is that people are always willing to answer questions or direct you somewhere to find the info you need ( wiki tab) lol in case you don't know . Also they are all positive and laid back folks that seem to never be negative and that's what sets this forum apart from others . Even if the questions are elementary some kava heavyweights take the time to give you an answer . It is much appreciated!

ApéroNoble

I am now on my 3rd cup of four bags each of Yogi tea kava "12 bags total" and just beginning to tell anything whatsoever

CanAwa

I am now on my 3rd cup of four bags each of Yogi tea kava "12 bags total" and just beginning to tell anything whatsoever
Seems to me that you need some root powder ..let me tell ya I was surprised ..I am feeling good right now!!

ApéroNoble

I tried the stone kava and it certainly does take effect but I absolutely could not get to sleep then the next day felt nauseated, awful really so for me it is a catch 22. It is powerful in some good effects but until I can figure out a way around these other issues I am going to wait some time before trying again.

I did not over do it on using to much and am no stranger to things not that I am a big drinker. Next time I may try the instant and see if my body tolerates in better.

Also had anxiety

infraredz

BULA!
That sounds beyond strange. What exactly do you mean by having "bad anxiety"? When did it start and how long did it last?

How much did you use and did you drink it on an empty stomach?