What's new

What if we've been lied to about kava?

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
My misconception makes me wonder what would be the results if kava were as researched as MJ? The stuff the hippies smoked in the 1960's is nothing compared to the hydroponic STRONG stuff thats out there today. It stands to reason that if kava were as reserched as MJ in order to dramatically increase the kavalactone concentration I bet some serious kava could be genetically engineered. Something like 3 shells of sedating kava would knock you out for 2 days or a kava high in kavain would keep you up for 2 days. Those (8) MM caps had me stimmed for about 14hrs w/ no exaggeration in time or effect I assure you.

I say this because from what I can tell there is no discernible difference between the kava exported from Vanuatu today & the kava that was drunk 500yrs ago. MJ today is much, much stronger than the MJ indigenous people smoked when MJ was first discovered by the white man.

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Lol that would be a horrible day.. as it is already a horrible thing that we did that to cannabis, it's only stronger in a bad way. Thc levels that high without cbd is an absurdity that causes tons of people to be unable to enjoy the benefits of cannabis without horror inside.... theyre are people trying to locate the original cannabis in the middle east I believe trying to secure it's genetics, so the original isn't lost. A balanced peaceful plant. Not a genetic nightmare based on (this is important this isn't attitude). Sadly that's why extracts of kava suck... so does hash in my honest opinion. Because it lacks fullness, the spirit of the plant .

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
It's very interesting and taught me alot about plants the do's and mainly the dont's. Ecspecially being one of the psychoactive plants with strains which our beloved kava shares

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Kava has never given me energy. Sometimes the initial "glow" might make me more happy and thus it sort of feels like it perks me up a little, but that's very short lived and generally the kava always has a general sedative effect on me. Pretty much all the time everytime. Its just less pronounced with certain types.

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
WW I'd suggest buying some Maui Medicinal's kava capsules then (only $10 a bottle) decide. I wouldn't advise taking more than (4) at one time though. Kavain is inherently a fast, but short acting chemotype from what I can research. I also wonder if smoking kava would intensify the effect as its easy to comprehend how simply mix kava powder w/ water isn't the most effective method of extraction. Kavalactones are not water soluble, water is simply a vehicle for the kavalactones not a sulute.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Go smoke some kava and let us know ;) hahah. Traditional usage has wisdom in it. If you do want to expand the potential you could use the actual classic preperation. Find a young virgin girl of your town ... have her chew your kava then spit it into the bowl mix with water and knead it. Lol then the salivary enzymes will help expand solubility and absorption. Hahaha. I don't know how much all the details are true. But you could really chew your kava before preparing just a little and see if it amplifies the effects as mentioned.... however I must say if smoking kava worked the islanders probrably would've done it . I've thought about doing the saliva method before because I heard that was the way one of the islands did it. But I never wanted to haha.

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
A kava experience quote >

Last night in desparation for pot (and a lack thereof) I decided that I would try to smoke some Kava Kava.

I took a capsule of pure kava kava that I bought a a local health store, broke it open, and poured it into a normal tobacco pipe that I fitted with a screen.

I took two hits and was unable to finish the rest. The effects were like being stoned, only with much more awareness and a sort of inner peace. I also experienced mild hallucinations where the folds of my blanket kept turning into small furry animals. The most amazing part was the complete lack of paranoia. I felt like everything was at peace and that life was, for some reason, making sense.

After enjoying the mild trip for a little while, I began to meditate. I found this hard to do because everything I looked at was so interesting and vivid. After about 15 minutes of hard focusing, I went into a sort of trance where I pictured myself floating up above myself. The imagination was greatly enhanced. Then about and hour later I returned out of meditation and fell immediately asleep. For a person who suffers insomnia, this is just short of incredible. Not even pot would put me to sleep.

In short, smoking kava kava has made for the most relaxed that I've ever been in my life. The drug doesn't by any means make me feel happy. But I found that I was able to focus and feel at peace. The best part is, for a broke college student, that it's way sheaper then most anything and readily available at the grocery store. Also, the 'high' lasted a lot longer, granted the euphoria did not. I woke up this morning feeling completely relaxed and now, almost 10 hours later, I still feel focused and relaxed.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Wow. That's something, I wish he mentioned the exact company or anything. I assume by pure kava kava he means not an extract.... honestly then smoke some and let us know how it goes ! Hahah. The visual hallucinations are fascinating to me more than anything. I wonder if there's a chemical change at heats that high. And why vaping kava doesn't provide this .

Read the threads and don't smoke it hahaha

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I think it's similar to K@ in that respect oddly enough. Same with cannabis. Depending on the cultivar it becomes dose dependant.... sedating ones at low doses are still stimulating, higher doses get you more and more sedated.. but with energetic ones it's more like low doses all the way up to high doses are stimulating

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
Kavain seems to be high in Hawaiian Black kava. I suspect the person is just as big if not bigger factor than the breed of the kava??? Very interesting topic though!