What's new

What should I expect from a heady kava?

GreasyNegus

I'm planning on ordering a heady kava such as moi' from GHK and was wondering what I should expect? I've only had Koniak and Stone and they both made my body feel relaxed, but also make me extremely tired and aren't good for daytime use. Do you only feel the mental effects from heady kava strains or can you also feel some of the other relaxing effects you get with heavier strains just w/o sluggishness. Idk I don't want to buy a heady kava if I won't feel anything... Is it a pretty noticeable mood/anxiety reducer?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I would say a good heady kava should bring about a strong feeling of euphoria, and relaxing properties. I would also say these effects can be felt in the head, and the body. Often, I find a good strong Heady Kava will produce a condition referred to as being Krunked.

Now, this whole feeling of being Krunked can have many of its own side effects. Often including dizziness, the need to search out a couch, double vision, and strong and pleasant feelings of euphoria. Also not limited to these side effects.

So, with that said, YOU will totally dig a good heady Kava. Its like regular kava, only stonyer. Much Love Roaddog....

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Heady kava makes you feel like this:

For like 3 or 4 hours.

I feel (in no particular order):
  • Giddiness
  • Eye-lag (like your eyes are always catching up to where your head it)
  • Some loss of balance (though all kava can cause this too)
  • An excited feeling
  • Great enjoyment of music, especially up-beat music
  • Perma-grin
  • An easy, hearty laugh
  • Enjoyment of your surroundings
  • Talkativeness
  • Appreciation for the little things
  • The need to express yourself
And other things that don't come to mind right now.

Take the standard kava experience of peace and calm and add energy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
To add to what roaddog just said, Mahakea is heady, and it's probably my favorite of the GHK variety as of right now.

It's fucking awesome. But don't take my word for it. Try some for yourself.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'd say Mahakea and Stone are heavy and Heady.
A heady-only kava feels pretty mild if you don't drink a lot of it...or dont have a strong batch.
A full strong 'heady' experience is a buzz that literally and noticeably only affects your head more than anything else.
From the head down, it almost feels like nothing is going on...but your mind can get a light, silly mindedness, enjoyable loose jiggly vision, calmness without strong sedation, a sense of joy or ease that isn't potently euphoric, but still somewhat euphoric.
Heavy kava's do all that, but also add sedation, laziness through-out your whole being, an ease of more than just your mental state but also your whole body. (stone)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Sadie, to me heady means it helps make me feel good or happy and I enjoy things around me.
Heavy means it makes me too lazy to move and only want to be is a serious couch potato or go sleepy bye.
I like both, depending on the situation.
I'm still working on trying to figure out what the anti-anxiety thing is.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi everyone. I just got some MAHAKEA from Global Kava Exports and I've just had probably 30grams prepared as usual with kneading/straining but I don't feel anything much. I want something heady with a heavy after effect if that makes sense. I don't know if I actually am feeling the Kava effect yet or not although I've said on another thread I thought I was. I've been using daily since Feb 26th...am I one of those few that need loads to feel anything? Any experiences or suggestions on how to prep etc would be greatly appreciated

blindy107

Kava Lover
You could be a special breed @Sadie , as I was. It took me a month of almost daily use to feel it. My wife, who finally started to try it with me, has felt good effects since her third or 4th day of drinking it. In fact she's been wonked out pretty heavily from a monster batch of mahakea we shared. She was a little scared of it at first. Hehe

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi everyone. I just got some MAHAKEA from Global Kava Exports and I've just had probably 30grams prepared as usual with kneading/straining but I don't feel anything much. I want something heady with a heavy after effect if that makes sense. I don't know if I actually am feeling the Kava effect yet or not although I've said on another thread I thought I was. I've been using daily since Feb 26th...am I one of those few that need loads to feel anything? Any experiences or suggestions on how to prep etc would be greatly appreciated
It took me a month of consuming kava to feel it, so you're not alone :)

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi. Well that gives me some hope. I've had daily and different types for about 3 weeks and I genuinely thought I was feeling it but now for about a week I have headaches constantly - I don't know if it's the Kava or a virus but I am not giving up just yet although I might leave it after today for a few days

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
It took me a month of consuming kava to feel it, so you're not alone :)
Did you have headaches? I'm drinking buckets of water to no avail...painkillers not touching it. I'm in the UK and am having to wear my sunglasses both inside and out - it's very grey here - as the light seems to be making it worse, I feel like Roy Orbison walking around inside with my sunglasses on...jeez

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Did you have headaches? I'm drinking buckets of water to no avail...painkillers not touching it. I'm in the UK and am having to wear my sunglasses both inside and out - it's very grey here - as the light seems to be making it worse, I feel like Roy Orbison walking around inside with my sunglasses on...jeez
Honestly, I've never had a headache from kava. I've had headaches that kava has cured 100%, but never one directly from kava.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I googled it today but couldn't find anything that said Kava gives you a headache so I don't think that's the problem. It's crippling though, can't do anything and it's been going on for a week now. Will go to Dr at the end of the week if no better but will make no mention of Kava - he'd have me cuffed and carted off to the local psychiatric unit...honest...over reacting Dr's who do not respect the autonomy of the individual...we're so over nannied...what decisions I make about what I put in my body are down to me, and if I have to pay the piper (which I have in the past) then I pay the piper. I knew that it couldn't be my Kava as I'm not dehydrated and that seems to be the only cause when using Kava...thank you, clarified my thinking on it

sev1

Kava Curious
I like GHK instant Mo'i and Mahakea. Both nice and heady. I make it a little stronger cause I prefer heady feelings. Gives me some energy and makes me more social.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I googled it today but couldn't find anything that said Kava gives you a headache so I don't think that's the problem. It's crippling though, can't do anything and it's been going on for a week now.
I got headaches when I first started with kava pretty much every time, but then I stepped up my hydration by a factor of two, and I haven't had one since.

Alternating a shell of kava with one tall glass of water isn't enough. I need to be drinking water pretty consistently throughout the entire session to stay fully hydrated, but when I do, my head is just fine. In fact, much better than just fine. It's FANTASTIC! :)

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Yea, I really only get headaches if I drink too much kava in a day. Like if I try to fit in two Kava sessions. Much Love Roaddog...