What's new

Why doesn't kava EVER give me negative side effects?

blindy107

Kava Lover
And so... After losing all mesh strainers in my household somehow, and after (actually) choking down unsifted, much less than finely powdered root... I'm proud to say I am very, very uncomfortably nauseated.
How long have you been drinking kava? What strains and vendors have you been consuming primarily?

I got a moderate case of dermo after 2 lbs of nothing but a "disputed nobility" Fijian over about a 3 week period. I was trying to drink as much as I could without wasting it and looks like I found the pot of itchies at the end of the brown rainbow. After I finished it off I switched back to a "100% verified noble" and it started to fade. I was still consuming roughly the same amount daily.

All in all, fun experiment. I get some bloating time to time and the one case of dermo last month. Also, I may have the beginning of the increased patellar activity side effect rarely seen. I notice myself kicking my left leg when I'm standing still for a bit like cooking or kneading grog. Didn't think much of it until I read about it as a possible side effect.

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
I've been drinking kava probably around a decade, I consume pretty much all kinds, but all root powder. This is my first real kava induced nausea lol, not too surprised though. Big chunks of wood aren't really something your stomach is supposed to take on. Your unusual side effect is intriguing, don't think I've heard of that one!

blindy107

Kava Lover
All your cargo are belong to us.

@StinkWeed it's more like bouncing on my toes I guess. My foot doesn't come off the ground into the air. No Michael Jackson going on when I'm kneading...

A decade huh? Well that's pretty impressive that you haven't had issues so to speak.

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
In all fairness I haven't drank daily for nearly as long, it was an every couple of days ritual for a long while. Jesus my stomach is still feeling that chunky t&w today though. The idea of you involuntarily mj kicking is also the funniest image ever.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I toss and wash and don't get dermopathy. I also don't generally get nausea unless I consume a butt load of heavy kava like boroguru. Also never feel next day effects.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

KavaCat

Meow.
Well, one of my theories about Kava nausea, has to do with some personal observations of mine. I used to take opiates for pain, and noticed something about my own personal experience with them. Opiates and kava can both act as a central nervous system depressant.

So, for some people, I think this is happening: Take kava> Get super relaxed> Heart rate drops dramatically, as well as very slow breathing> Not quite getting enough oxygen to head, brain, related glands> Head can't keep up with motion anymore> Motion Sickness> Wicked nausea.

I know this happens to me when I take opiates (which is rare now), but also has happened to me when I take a lot of boroguru. It's the EXACT same sensation. It doesn't happen to me with headier kavas, only the ones that are the most physically relaxing. And the nausea goes away entirely, if I lay down and hold really still.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
Sorry if this was already spoke about and I missed it.
What is the dry heaving and vomiting from?

kava_chief

Kava Curious
No I don't have any issues either. I'd say there is one strange(good) side effect I don't see mentioned anywhere but seems to be a constant for me: keeping regular(if you know what I mean). Kava seems to be very good for that.

You shouldn't mix alcohol and kava. But when I have had a few cups of kava and up to 4 beers, I get a very foggy hangover the next day. It isn't a painful hangover like binge drinking would give, but it is pretty brain fog inducing, and a lot of the next day is a haze. So I don't recommend that, for not only the health reasons, but the possibility of having too much laxness the next day.

As far as keeping it down, yeah, chugging it is difficult because it can make you want to gag even if you hide the taste. Kava has a strong taste, everyone knows this. It still hasn't graduated into "acquired" for me, it's still hard to drink it, but the effects are well worth it.

A while back I drank too much a few nights in a row and developed a visceral aversion for it that took a while to kick- my body would reflexively reject drinking it, and so my brain followed suit. That cleared after a while.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
You got skills ::uhhuhhz:: lol!

No I don't have any issues either. I'd say there is one strange(good) side effect I don't see mentioned anywhere but seems to be a constant for me: keeping regular(if you know what I mean). Kava seems to be very good for that.

You shouldn't mix alcohol and kava. But when I have had a few cups of kava and up to 4 beers, I get a very foggy hangover the next day. It isn't a painful hangover like binge drinking would give, but it is pretty brain fog inducing, and a lot of the next day is a haze. So I don't recommend that, for not only the health reasons, but the possibility of having too much laxness the next day.

As far as keeping it down, yeah, chugging it is difficult because it can make you want to gag even if you hide the taste. Kava has a strong taste, everyone knows this. It still hasn't graduated into "acquired" for me, it's still hard to drink it, but the effects are well worth it.

A while back I drank too much a few nights in a row and developed a visceral aversion for it that took a while to kick- my body would reflexively reject drinking it, and so my brain followed suit. That cleared after a while.