What's new

Why I don't like kava reviews.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
1. 95% of the time they are unfair to the root. Most kava reviews are done, certainly outside of kava forums, by people who don't know what they are doing and don't even particularly like kava, so they are far from fair judges. They've heard some nonsense about kava, prep it badly, try it once, it does nothing and/or makes them feel sick. End of story. And that means : this is bad kava. But itcould be the best kava in the world. The root did nothing wrong. The root is fine, maybe perfect, even, it's the rest of the world which is wrong. It's so unfair.

2. They try it once and review as they are consuming it. Again, unfair to the root. To really get to know a root, you have to drink a bunch of it, with a bunch of different preps at different times of day, situations, moods, purposes. The root might be good for one thing, absolutely perfect, but maybe not so good for something else. Or it might be not so great by itself, but blend it with some other variety, in just the right proportion, and it's worth its weight in gold.

3. Everyone is different. We are at different stages on our kava journeys, and our bodies have different tolerances and even different receptors. I might find something heady that someone else finds totally heavy.

So, I don't really pay attention to reviews except as light comedy.

What would really do it for me is a panel of experienced kava drinkers who have different known preferences who then run the root through its paces in as many situations as possible. THEN I could really use their collective review as a reliable guide. Otherwise I'm just looking for two things: is it actually kava? and Will it make me sick? Other than that I pretty much take it from there.

Until then the best "review" we have is consensus. e.g. We all pretty much agree Squanch is strong and Squanch is good and kind o' different.. THAT is an accurate review.

D

Deleted User01

I like reviews to tell me whether a kava is heavy or heady. If can ascertain that the reviewer has the same taste as I, than I'm interested. There are so many kavas listed here that I honestly cannot keep up with them or their effects. I'm thinking of doing a spreadsheet one day. Awww, who am I kidding, that's just another thing I don't have time to do.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
One thing I for sure agree with (as if I don't agree with all of it) is the part about reviewing the kava in many situations since I've always thought that it's possible for someone to actually change their review upon gaining a new perspective. Like the difference between "set and setting"(s)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
One thing I for sure agree with (as if I don't agree with all of it) is the part about reviewing the kava in many situations since I've always thought that it's possible for someone to actually change their review upon gaining a new perspective. Like the difference between "set and setting"(s)
I can sabotage the effects of even the best kava by eating bread and having pressing chores suddenly pop up or drinking it when I'm not in the mood. I mean that theoretically, of course, since I am pretty much always in the mood to drink some grog. Right now, for example.....

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
Many things can be a buzz koll for me.

I look at reviews as a rough guide to know if it's heady or heavy and how strong it is. I prefer reading many different reviews of the same kava and the comments, because people don't feel the same. And I might not feel the same as them.
Kava reviews are tricky but I like reading them, on the kava forum that is, on other sites they are often quite bad.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Many things can be a buzz koll for me.

I look at reviews as a rough guide to know if it's heady or heavy and how strong it is. I prefer reading many different reviews of the same kava and the comments, because people don't feel the same. And I might not feel the same as them.
Kava reviews are tricky but I like reading them, on the kava forum that is, on other sites they are often quite bad.
That's just it, the more reviews we have to read from kf, the better it is for the community. I think it definitely helps in finding the right kava and it has helped me before. So I encourage everyone to leave a review. Since kava affects us all differently, it's nice to read about it, compare different prep methods and so on.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
Kava's effects are hard to put into words...true. Reviews are not reliable...true. But a community of people drinking kava and talking about it is definitely valuable. I suppose that is how we achieve "consensus" as @Krunkie McKrunkface puts it.

Review + review + good review + offhand comment + poor review + experienced review + newbie's thoughts + review = consensus

or reviews + context = consensus

That's how reviews help. I don't like reviews taken out of context either.

And just for perspective, isn't this thread a review of kava reviews and also an observation about Squanch products (one that could easily be part of a review)? Is THIS review helpful without all the awful kava reviews out there online to contextualize it?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
And just for perspective, isn't this thread a review of kava reviews and also an observation about Squanch products (one that could easily be part of a review)?
All I know is I tried Squanch with 1/4 tsp in a half gallon of water and it didn't do anything, nada, I waited a whole 5 minutes, too. So I mixed the rest of the pound with a cup of water and washed it down and ended up in Cleveland. It wasn't even cashewy.

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
I take reviews for what they're worth. There are so many kava products out there, and there's not a realistic, affordable way for me to try them all. Reviews help me narrow down which ones to try. If 95% of people say that a particular kava is a heady, clean feeling kava, then I can purchase that kava with at least some idea of what I'll be getting. Without reviews we'd be shooting in the dark

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have found the written reviews, and in general the "consensus" recommendations from forum members to be the most useful in choosing new kavas to try. While I found the video reviews to be amusing and entertaining - I never once choose to buy a kava from any of them.

D

Deleted User01

I guess it is safe to say that reviews are subjective and in a big way. I remember the poster who said, Borongoru did nothing for them I bought it and I think it is plenty potent and good. Go figure .... I tell ya what really works for me, asking fellow members about this kava or that kava and trying to get a consensus. Anyway, I'm a Kava liteweight, I have never found a kava that didn't give me reasonable effects.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I guess it is safe to say that reviews are subjective and in a big way. I remember the poster who said, Borongoru did nothing for them I bought it and I think it is plenty potent and good. Go figure .... I tell ya what really works for me, asking fellow members about this kava or that kava and trying to get a consensus. Anyway, I'm a Kava liteweight, I have never found a kava that didn't give me reasonable effects.
I find Krunky reliable. If he tells me a kava is weak and I'll need 16 TBS then I know with confidence 3 or 4 TBS outta put me in a coma.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
You want his reviews, he would dare undercut his great pal just the sake of some free kava...it's safe to say he can't be trusted. Ps vote nickbroken for your Kava reviews!

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Ok, I'll do the reviews for free but only if you throw in an all expense trip to Florida. And that's my final offer.

Wait a minute, that's not fair. How about all the above, and then you can be my sidekick and I will share the kava with you but you have to clean the Tanoa Bowl afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
How about you guys keep supporting the vendors you like and writing reviews, lol.

P.S. I'll do it for 4tbs ;)

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
I'll just say that I don't know enough about kava to be a good reviewer, so I'll leave that to the more experienced folks.