What's new

Yangonin

infraredz

BULA!
Wow, that's the 2nd!

If only 250 grams wasn't the price of 1 kg of Boroguru... That's quite the expensive experiment.

infraredz

BULA!
I wouldn't doubt it at all. Solomon's seems to be the most "cerebral" for me. Then again, I haven't tried Nambawan which might also be pretty heady in that way.

The affinity is pretty low, and for all we know, that affinity could be in an antagonistic way as opposed to agonism. Anyways, hopefully I'll have the cash one day to try out that VKS Tanna Kaolik.

infraredz

BULA!
From what it sounds like (I definitely could be wrong), the FDA has to approve shipments of kava into the US. I suppose this is how the chemotypes come out.

If that's so, then why don't all suppliers just post the chemotype? It would make it much easier to figure out the effect-profile of a given strain before buying. Most, if not all descriptions by the manufacturers are just generic statements about where it's from, the potency, etc. There never seems to be an objective description like: "This potent kava comes from the Pentecost island and is high in DHM giving a more sedative, muscle-relaxant effect that's still suitable for daily drinking."

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I believe, although I don't know, that pretty much all the chemotypes are from Kava: The Pacific Elixir.

infraredz

BULA!
Ah yes, I found some of those.

Borogu Pentecost = 423-561
Silese Malekula = 423-651
Puariki Tongoa = 423-156
Pia Tanna = 423-516
Poivota Santo = 243-561

Out of the above, the most popular is probably Borogu, which is apparently fairly high in it. I haven't had Borogu though, as I decided for Boroguru instead, but for those that have had it, is it heady in the way of Solomon's?

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
the kavasseur didn't say anything to special about it,
but he also didn't say anything special about solomons when he first tried it

this statement makes me think about the yangonin:

The mind effect is a mild, heady buzz that is most pronounced around the temples. Has a nice gentle effect on the eyes that is "stony."
seems very CB like

infraredz

BULA!
No worries, I still sometimes forget the various lactones' respective chemotype number.

Just for reference:
This from the "Kava: The Pacific Elixir"

1= Demethoxy-yangonin (DMY)
2= Dihydrokavain (DHK)
3= Yangonin (Y)
4= Kavain (K)
5= Dihydromethysticin (DHM)
6= Methysticin (M)

"The first three kavalactones in the code usually represent over 70% of the total."

Apparently the first 3 can be equal or almost equal in concentration.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I ordered some Kaolik last night after a chat with Andrew. He mentioned that Tanna kavas are his favorite, and I thought of this one because of its interesting chemotype. It's a little pricier than what I'd normally order, but I paid $30 for nambawan and don't regret it. Review incoming probably next weekend.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Coincidentally I just added a review form for his kava. Take pictures of the product if you can (Just activated the attachment function of the review forms too)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Actually I was wondering about that -- I believe the products are the same as Vanuatu Kava Store no? There should at least be a note pointing that out.

kaba

Kava Curious
I wouldn't doubt it at all. Solomon's seems to be the most "cerebral" for me. Then again, I haven't tried Nambawan which might also be pretty heady in that way.

The affinity is pretty low, and for all we know, that affinity could be in an antagonistic way as opposed to agonism. Anyways, hopefully I'll have the cash one day to try out that VKS Tanna Kaolik.
I thought Nambawan was your favorite

infraredz

BULA!
I thought Nambawan was your favorite
It is and I wasn't saying Solomon's was my favorite, just the most cerebral (but almost too much so for me). Nambawan and Solomons are both really heady, but I like Nambawan's effect much, much more.