What's new

Yangonin

kaba

Kava Curious
What I love the most about kava is euphoria and music enhancement. Just sitting by myself with headphones on, listening to ambient techno. Would Nambawan do??

infraredz

BULA!
Yes, definitely.

I've found that kava isn't psychedelic, but the reason that music and other things are more enjoyable is because we are truly in a clear, yet relaxed mental state where we can "accept" the music, food, etc for what it really is instead of having subconscious thoughts interfering with being present. Just my pseudo-eastern philosophy on kava and music :p

D

Deleted User01

Kaba was referring to this quote from you which is probably a typo of sorts:

"Then again, I haven't tried Nambawan which might also be pretty heady in that way."

infraredz

BULA!
I'm confused :confused:

When I wrote that post, I hadn't tried Nambawan yet so I couldn't say it was my favorite... since I hadn't tried it yet.

But for clarification, now that I've tried both, I vastly prefer Nambawan over Solomon's which is just a little too much for me.

infraredz

BULA!
Thasssss right :D

I just read through the document Andrew posted and it's interesting regarding Solomon's because according to that report, the only cultivar listed in the Solomon Islands is "Solomon Islands Kava varieties (Melomelo)"
Melo Melo and Nambawan both have that similar sort of cerebral effect for me, just not quite as strong (and in a slightly different way) as Solomons. If Melomelo was taken from Vanuatu and cultivated in the SI, that's pretty cool because that shows the vast impact that soil, climate, etc can have on the resulting product.

kaba

Kava Curious
Now, how's MeloMelo when it comes to euphoria and music enhancement? I currently have Vanuatu3 and it hits the spot.

D

Deleted User01

Infraredz, I reviewed the Melo Melo on Sunday. My take was that it was very similar to Solomons but maybe a small notch less potent. I had 2 very small shells (6/7 oz total) one at 6am and the other at 11am and the effects lasted all day. Of course, it doesn't take much for me. Tomorrow I try the Fiji.

infraredz

BULA!
Now, how's MeloMelo when it comes to euphoria and music enhancement? I currently have Vanuatu3 and it hits the spot.
I haven't tried Vanuatu3 but I can say that Melo is very relaxing and puts you in a nice mood but I hesitate to use the word euphoria since no kava has really given me euphoria as I know it. It definitely makes sitting on the couch and listening to some records a very pleasurable experience. I highly recommend it :)

Infraredz, I reviewed the Melo Melo on Sunday. My take was that it was very similar to Solomons but maybe a small notch less potent. I had 2 very small shells (6/7 oz total) one at 6am and the other at 11am and the effects lasted all day. Of course, it doesn't take much for me. Tomorrow I try the Fiji.
Yeah, exactly! It's definitely less potent, and I never thought I'd say this, but it's good (for me) in this situation. Then again, Solomons is much more expensive so it probably equals out in the end. I'm sure you'll love the Fiji, just make a tad bit more than you would normally since it's around the potency as Melo but maybe a little less.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Speaking of yangonin, mine is here. I'm impressed the postman managed to shove that and enough boroguru to tranquilize a horse in the mailbox.

Smells kind of earthy, not particularly offensive. Going to try some later.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah totally I will post some thoughts later. I want to drink it now but I have some work to do

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
So, fairly mild smell and taste. I didn't hold my nose while drinking it, for the sake of science, and it has sort of that creamy quality that fu'u has. Ahouia means yellow in one of the local Tannese languages, and it did leave a yellow resin on the bag. Anyway that was a minute or so ago, currently awaiting enlightenment.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
So, first impressions, this is a nice potent kavain-y kava. Nearly all head and no body (in fact I just had some Boroguru because I am an incorrigible DHM fiend). Unfortunately I can't say I felt anything particularly _unique_ attributable to the yangonin content. I'll drink the rest of the bag and then write a review.

In terms of potency I would put this one above maybe the first tier of kavain-y kavas BKH melomelo, fiji waka, paradise extract, but below nambawan. 1/2 cup (which is ~50g) has me very nicely buzzed.

Last edited:

infraredz

BULA!
Awesome. As I posted in the "How it Works" thread, the affinity for the CB1 receptor that Yangonin possesses is very low, and that's not even saying that its a full agonist. For all we know, it could be an antagonist to the CB1 receptor.

Glad to hear it's a nice heady kava though. Is is "mellow" in terms if effect like Melo Melo or is it more uplifting and energizing?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Mellow

The wikipedia article says "mimics the psychoactive effects of THC" but that seems like wishful thinking on the part of the author, and no sources are cited. We should fix up kava-related wikipedia articles at some point, they could really use some work.

infraredz

BULA!
I've already taken to that; coincidentally, I think I even changed that around the time I started this thread and put a note in the talk section saying there was no evidence it was even an agonist.

It's too bad it's already changed back.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Ah wikipedia, where anything can be true as long as you are willing to participate in weird internet politics and constantly edit articles. I guess we should focus on improving our own wiki.

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
A couple things from earlier in the thread - to my understanding, FDA requires a C of A with the shipment of every nutritional supplement. Simpley having a C of A does not mean you will get your chemotype profile, it means that certain other things (heavy metals, etc.) will likely be tested for, but not necessarily cultivar type. As soon as the HP-TLC is going in Vanuatu, all Vanna exports will have the chemotype profile available.

As per our kavas generally not having stellar reviews in the past - we kept to a coarser mill for years. In the past year or two, we have started offering 3 diferent mils, generally, with each kava. Unspecified, one gets the medium. It provides for a much better surface area:volume ratio, and makes a kava seem stronger, even thought it might not "actually" be stronger. Also, more fines tend to pass through the strainer, which makes the brew a toss-and-wash to some extent, also increasing the general perceived strength.

As per Melo Melo - that is one of the most hard-hitting kavas I have ever tried. EVER. It is prized around Vanuatu to the point where farmers often hide their Melo Melo plants in the middle of a field of tudei to discourage theft, because it is soooo strong and such a slow grower, other farmers will actually poach it. It is also generally really expensive and tough to find in the export market because of the super-high domestic demand for it. Last I looked for it, the cost of a KG, before shipping, was more than the cost of a shipped and cleared KG of any other major variety. We used it only in-house in what we call our "special kettle" where we charge an extra dollar or two for a drink, but make a stronger brew with a kava that is more rare, and did not even sell it in bulk.

It blows my mind when people assume it is "mellow" just because the words sound the same. (Another reason why knowing the chemotype is so important.) The stuff should knock off the socks. That is what they were slinging at the nakamal near the soccer field when I drank with Dr. Lebot, and I honestly had a hard time getting to shell #4. (I'm usually an 8-10 shell fellow of the 50-vatu sized ones.) Again, the mill grade makes a huge difference.

I swapped some Melo Melo with Judd for some Tanna kava back in the day, and it was really fast-hitting and sent me cross-eyed with a quickness. True, I did put it through a blender while dry, to make the mill finer, but ounce-per-ounce, the stuff is downright dangerous! I encourage you to reconsider your melo-melo. Maybe give it another blend or something - but It should rank up there with the Kaolik/Ahouia as far as having the ability to hand over your car keys in small amounts. It should be nothing to play with, and I"m sure Judd will be happy to sell you some more for an experimental run! Definitely on my top-3 list.

Anyway. my thoughts on the mill grade, and the categoization of certain cultivars.

Cheers!
Iahi
~AP

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Ah I didn't realize specifying grinds was an option. I was fine with the grind I received, myself, I prefer it to be on the coarser side, since I don't toss and wash.

I'd say your ahouia is a pinch more potent than the most recent batch of melo melo I had (which was also the only melo melo I have ever had). Are you sure Judd didn't give you some of his top shelf secret stash that he no doubt keeps from the rest of us? ;) (I kid, I kid).