What's new

We are all wimps and it seems that kava is safer than water

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Just reading an article about a guy who experienced some "confusion" following a "12 hour kava binge" on top of his regular "40 bowls per day" consumption. The doctor sees it as evidence of kava being potentially dangerous. I personally see it as yet another example of how safe kava is. Just look at this guy's kava consumption:

binge.PNG

:jawdrop:

Let me repeat it: a 12h "kava binge" on top of "his normal daily consumption of 40 bowls daily for the last 14 years". Wow. I bet drinking 40 bowls of water per day could cause some serious health issues.
:D
Interestingly (but not surprisingly) his liver was in good health and he was generally considered to be a "healthy and peaceful" individual. One concern was actually that he was quite slim. The doctor notes that it's one of the most common side-effects of kava: heavy kava drinkers are rarely fat.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1442-2026.2000.00107.x/abstract

Last edited by a moderator:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yup alcohol is mostly bullshit unless we are talking about traditional brews and infusions, that can get interesting. Ive always been on the slim side but i do feel that kava prevents weight gain. Very curious as to why though. 40 bowls a day of kava seems a bit much, if he sleeps at least 8 hours a day (with that much kava you would have to!) thats almost two and a half shells every waking hour. I guess that doesnt mean much due to the variability of strength with grog preference. Do tongans make their kava weaker like fijians or stronger like vanuatu people

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Tongans use a lot of water. But 40 bowls per day is indeed a large amount. It's roughly 6 LITRES of additional liquid per day. And on that particular day he had his 6 litres, plus went to a local kalapu (kava club) to drink kava non-stop for 12h. So he might have had close to 20 litres of kava on that day + unknown quantity of other foods/beverages. Apparently it takes just 6 litres of water to kiill an average person (http://www.medicaldaily.com/water-intoxication-just-how-much-h2o-does-it-take-kill-person-312958). Actually, all of the symptoms observed in the case of that Tongan guy correspond well with water toxicity that is known for causing: "headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, frequent urination, and mental disorientation"

D

Deleted User01

@Rick.Sanchez, on kava and weight, here is my bottom line. I drink kava to cut way down on alcohol. When I drink alcohol, I eat too much and then later go downstairs to binge on potato chips. When I do kava, I eat a moderate amount that is satisfying. Then I drink plenty of water and have no need for additional snacks. So if Kava helps reduce bad eating habits, then it can indeed help you maintain a healthy weight.

iglooNakamal

Kava Enthusiast
Coming home from work and chugging a bunch of kava in super sessions is definitely introducing a lot of water into my system. Tho this is clearly better than alcohol, I often wonder if consuming so much water may have a negative impact on my migraines do to electrolyte levels/hypohydration followed by early morning dehydration and irregular sleeping patterns from waking up to pee. Hearing about this guy makes me really want to start being a Kava day drinker... Just not so intense...

boxcar beatnik

Kava Enthusiast
Coming home from work and chugging a bunch of kava in super sessions is definitely introducing a lot of water into my system. Tho this is clearly better than alcohol, I often wonder if consuming so much water may have a negative impact on my migraines do to electrolyte levels/hypohydration followed by early morning dehydration and irregular sleeping patterns from waking up to pee. Hearing about this guy makes me really want to start being a Kava day drinker... Just not so intense...
4-5 shells in the first two hours of being awake is the best. It coffee all morning and 6 shells at lunch. I'm really ready to get my package. Why did i let myself run out