What's new

Kava Culture Famous people drinking kava gallery

Crunked

Proselytizer
Maybe it's a US vs. British orthography thing:
View attachment 8600
Every dictionary I looked at, including the Shorter Oxford 3rd edition and the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary 9th edition has the sp. as pavilion. I don't recall ever seeing it spelt as pavillion (but I am old and my memory is not so good). Middle English was pavilon while Old French was pavillon (American Heritage Dict.)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
French President Macron is at the Fiji Pavilion in Bonn, Germany also. The following picture shows him standing near a bowl of yaqona, but according to the article he drank some also. Maybe he chugged the entire tanoa? (In other news, the accepted spelling of the word pavilion is wrong.)

http://fijisun.com.fj/2017/11/17/macron-drinks-first-bowl-of-kava-in-bonn/

View attachment 8599
The guy with the blue shirt seem to be intently looking down at that Tanoa. I bet he's daydreaming of throwing a few shells back.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Every dictionary I looked at, including the Shorter Oxford 3rd edition and the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary 9th edition has the sp. as pavilion. I don't recall ever seeing it spelt as pavillion (but I am old and my memory is not so good). Middle English was pavilon while Old French was pavillon (American Heritage Dict.)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure what happened was some kind of quantum entanglement phenomenon where a little while back my consciousness was exchanged with that of my doppelganger from a parallel universe which only differs from my native universe by the fact that where I come from the word 'pavilion' is spelled with two L's. That seems like the simplest explanation to me.

violet

Do all things with love
@recentreturn Do you mean the whole thread, or just the few on this page? Most all are real photos of famous people drinking kava. I believe the Carl Sagan and Arnold memes on this page are photoshopped.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oops, thanks @verticity . That's what I meant.
On the other hand, the Bob Marley picture started appearing on various Twitter feeds recently, but I haven't seen it anywhere else, and there is never any context given. It certainly does look like Bob Marley, but it is kind of weird because he lived before kava became popular anywhere outside the South Pacific (even in Hawaii it had been forgotten during the 60's and 70's when he was touring...). I guess it's possible if he ever toured in Fiji or something, but in that case why does he appear to be drinking it by himself? I would think the islanders would have given him a ceremony... I wonder if it's some guy who looks like Bob Marley?? So, I don't know, it might be real, but seems hard to explain...

...also: why is he using a t-shirt with his own name on it as a strainer?

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
@recentreturn Do you mean the whole thread, or just the few on this page? Most all are real photos of famous people drinking kava. I believe the Carl Sagan and Arnold memes on this page are photoshopped.
I just meant Bob Marley. I am suspicious its photoshopped. Something doesn't feel right about those pants he's wearing; Not certain his head positioning looks quite right; and, as observed above, it seems weird to me that he would be doing the kneading, especially with a facial expression like that. And the strainer t-shirt with his own name on it looks pretty dry. Fun picture in any case.

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
It may be photoshopped.

AFAIK the best opportunity he'd have had to try kava was on his 1979 tour when he visited Australia, New Zealand, and Hawaii.