What's new

26% kavalactones!?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I am not trying to start an argument here,as I know you are probably way more versed in Kava then I am. But I have had my fair share of Fijian kava's, to say for certain this is something special.

I have had kavatime Dokobana Vula (A single cultivar limited release), and all of the other kavatime fijian blends, Squnach, KWk loa and vula etc.

I am a big time fan of Fijian waka's. Again idk about 26% kavalactones but this kava is something way different then run of the mill Fijian blend.
Would you say it's as sedating as the description on the bag claims? How does it compare to the Dokobana Vula? That was one of the best I've had in the past 4 or 5 years.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Would you say it's as sedating as the description on the bag claims? How does it compare to the Dokobana Vula? That was one of the best I've had in the past 4 or 5 years.
It is a very heavy kava. I remember the Dokobana Vula being balanced this is heavier IMO.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
She says that this is the lab testing that was sent from the supplier..? It really makes me think that the University of South Pacific has a laboratory full of... "unskilled" people.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I hope I'm not being over semantic, but the title is "Total Lactones". Are there more lactones in kava than just the ones we look for, because they didn't specify "kavalactones"?

Edit: Saw the Test Certificate. It says *Kavalactones.

Just splitting hairs.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I hope I'm not being over semantic, but the title is "Total Lactones". Are there more lactones in kava than just the ones we look for, because they didn't specify "kava lactones"?
The only lactones measured by HPLC are the big 6, and the numbers should add up. In fact they do add up in the most recent 3 pdfs (and on all other COAs I have seen from USP). The issue with those though is that the individual KL numbers imply chemotypes of 123456 (for all 3), contradicting the printed chemotypes such as 426351, etc. If you look at them it's obvious that there are elementary and egregious errors on all 4 of the chemotype results attributed to USP. What we don't know is whether USP made mistakes on all the COAs or they were altered by someone later in the supply chain.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The only lactones measured by HPLC are the big 6, and the numbers should add up (and on all other COAs I have seen from USP). In fact they do add up in the most recent 3 pdfs. The issue with those is though is that the individual KL numbers imply chemotypes of 123456 (for all 3), contradicting the printed chemotypes such as 426351, etc. If you look at them it's obvious that there are elementary and egregious errors on all 4 of the chemotype results attributed to USP. What we don't know is whether USP made mistakes on all the COAs or they were altered by someone later in the supply chain.
Thank you for that correction. That's....that's something. That really opens the door to some unsettling possibilities.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
If you look at them it's obvious that there are elementary and egregious errors on all 4 of the chemotype results attributed to USP. What we don't know is whether USP made mistakes on all the COAs or they were altered by someone later in the supply chain.
I'm contacting the lab to find out.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Okay, so I noticed at the bottom of one of the tests it says this "Tests marked with † were done at Atlas Bioscience Labs, LLC, a joint venture with Advanced Laboratories. 1775 S. Pantano Rd - Ste #110, Tucson, AZ 85710"

I did a quick google search on Atlas Bioscience, LLC, and boy oh boy.

http://www.altmedrev.com/archive/publications/17/1/1.pdf

In that document it talks about how NBC and Chris Hansen actually pulled a sting on the lab and caught them red handed. Another search returned this NBC Special.

"The Hanson Files - Supplements Part 1

"The Hanson Files - Supplements Part 2

(Part 3 is the part which shows them entering the lab and speaking with the lab technician)
"The Hanson Files - Supplements Part 3

View them at your own leisure. I know what I make out of it.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
That video was concerning to say the least. I would seriously doubt any contaminants, but that 26% is becoming way more suspect.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
This brings up a good point - are there reasonable steps a supplier or user can do to vet a lab? The original lab lists certifications on their site. Is there a way to check those?

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
This brings up a good point - are there reasonable steps a supplier or user can do to vet a lab? The original lab lists certifications on their site. Is there a way to check those?
This is a little off topic but it is an issue in Cannabis

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Go down to the local hardware store and pick up some lead fishing weights to break apart and grab some rat poison. When submitting samples include one product that you know you'll never sell and spike the hell out of it. That would be a crude and very base way of telling, but wouldn't get into any of the fine measurements.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
BTW there's something else I found that's unusual.
Of the four COA's from IAS/USP that have been shared in this thread, one (the one incorrectly showing 27%KL) is dated 02/05/18 and the other three are dated 01/08/19. Unless IAS/USP has recently changed to a US date format (MM/DD/YY) – and I can't see I reason why they would – the latter date is still in the future. Fiji uses DD/MM/YY so that date is the 1st of August, 2019. That might indicate that If these COA's were indeed doctored by someone after they left the lab, the person who did so was probably American as the US is AFAIK the only country where this date format is used.

I've contacted IAS/USP and am still waiting to hear from them.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
BTW there's something else I found that's unusual.
Of the four COA's from IAS/USP that have been shared in this thread, one (the one incorrectly showing 27%KL) is dated 02/05/18 and the other three are dated 01/08/19. Unless IAS/USP has recently changed to a US date format (MM/DD/YY) – and I can't see I reason why they would – the latter date is still in the future. Fiji uses DD/MM/YY so that date is the 1st of August, 2019. That might indicate that If these COA's were indeed doctored by someone after they left the lab, the person who did so was probably American as the US is AFAIK the only country where this date format is used.

I've contacted IAS/USP and am still waiting to hear from them.
By chance, have they gotten back to you?