What's new

I found a new desert mutation of kava...

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
OK, so I might not be as advanced as @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava or @Alia , nor do I have as many cuttings as @Kava Time , nor have I tried to grow kava as many times as @shakas, but here I am with my first kava plant in sunny Phoenix, Arizona.

If this thing survives, it'll be the pride of the KWK warehouse! I'm planning to keep it indoors, at least for the first couple months since it's always over 100 degrees here until October and far too dry. What are the chances it'll make it past a month or two? Accepting wagers, and all proceeds go to the KavaForums ;-)

Attachments

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Looks in great health. Mahakea, is it?
IIRC the lesson from @sɥɐʞɐs was to beware of spider mites.
I bought this one from Logees so I didn't have to deal with getting one out of Hawaii, and if I remember correctly that's what they've sold in the past.

There is one leaf, near the bottom, that has some curling, dying edges on the leaf. Not sure if that's a sign to come, but it could likely just be stress from transport and not enough water. I'm going to the store to pickup some well draining potting mix, fertilizer, some mulch, and a giant pot. Hopefully it likes its new home!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
IMG_4371.PNG

I've got some new cuttings too, I'm gonna have an another go at it. Hopefully they don't rot, they seem pretty young and skinny.
When did Logee's have plants for sale, they've been sold out every time I check for the last several months and I never get their e-mail instock alert.

Anyway, in the desert heat / dryness I'd definitely keep it inside and spray it's leaves with a little mist bottle several times a day, maybe even run a humidifier near it.
I've had the most success with terracotta pots (vs fabric pots)...not sure if that's just coincidence though. It definitely likes a loose airy soil, make sure to add a lot of extra perlite to your soil mix and maybe even a handful of horticultural lava cinders and some chunky coconut chips. -- might not wanna add fertilizer until it's established more, and typically use less fertilizer than the directions say.

Most of my Logee's plants would lose some leaves at first, and then start sprouting new leaves and stems. But leaf loss was one of my biggest issues with kava plants in general, vastly more leaves would die off than would ever be on the plant at one time. Sometimes the leaf loss was due to pests and other times for some unknown reason. Spider mites, aphids and slugs are the usual culprits, even when these things aren't typically a problem in your yard...as soon as you get some precious kava plants they seem to show up.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
It really is a bummer that kava, unlike some other popular herbs, plants, and weeds are so tough to grow outside of a small region.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
View attachment 12038
I've got some new cuttings too, I'm gonna have an another go at it. Hopefully they don't rot, they seem pretty young and skinny.
When did Logee's have plants for sale, they've been sold out every time I check for the last several months and I never get their e-mail instock alert.

Anyway, in the desert heat / dryness I'd definitely keep it inside and spray it's leaves with a little mist bottle several times a day, maybe even run a humidifier near it.
I've had the most success with terracotta pots (vs fabric pots)...not sure if that's just coincidence though. It definitely likes a loose airy soil, make sure to add a lot of extra perlite to your soil mix and maybe even a handful of horticultural lava cinders and some chunky coconut chips. -- might not wanna add fertilizer until it's established more, and typically use less fertilizer than the directions say.

Most of my Logee's plants would lose some leaves at first, and then start sprouting new leaves and stems. But leaf loss was one of my biggest issues with kava plants in general, vastly more leaves would die off than would ever be on the plant at one time. Sometimes the leaf loss was due to pests and other times for some unknown reason. Spider mites, aphids and slugs are the usual culprits, even when these things aren't typically a problem in your yard...as soon as you get some precious kava plants they seem to show up.
Great advice, I appreciate it. I've got a humidifier, so maybe I'll do that. I've been reading everything @Alia and friends have put together in this fantastic doc:

How quickly would you replant from the Logees temporary little bucket? The thing that it came with said 10 days, but I can't help but feel that's kinda crazy.

And a sad note, the little leaf that was having problems has fallen... hopefully it isn't a sign of bad things to come

Attachments

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Great advice, I appreciate it. I've got a humidifier, so maybe I'll do that. I've been reading everything @Alia and friends have put together in this fantastic doc:

How quickly would you replant from the Logees temporary little bucket? The thing that it came with said 10 days, but I can't help but feel that's kinda crazy.

And a sad note, the little leaf that was having problems has fallen... hopefully it isn't a sign of bad things to come
I usually keep mine in it's little carton for a few days, let it get some water and light a few times and then transplant it.
Those damn burnt edges on the leaves, I get so much of that it drives me crazy.
Make sure not to over water it too...if the soil is still dark brown and damp, just spritz the the leaves and that's it. It's better to let the soil dry out a bit between waterings, than it is to keep it freshly watered all the time.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
I usually keep mine in it's little carton for a few days, let it get some water and light a few times and then transplant it.
Those damn burnt edges on the leaves, I get so much of that it drives me crazy.
Make sure not to over water it too...if the soil is still dark brown and damp, just spritz the the leaves and that's it. It's better to let the soil dry out a bit between waterings, than it is to keep it freshly watered all the time.
I bought some of this:

Since it's a well draining mix, along with some perlite and peat moss. I've almost no clue what I'm doing here, so this approach might not make sense a lick of sense to any elementary botanist.... bad idea with the weird soil choice?

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I bought some of this:

Since it's a well draining mix, along with some perlite and peat moss. I've almost no clue what I'm doing here, so this approach might not make sense a lick of sense to any elementary botanist.... bad idea with the weird soil choice?
I buy that one sometimes, you’ll still need more perlite than what comes in that mix. They sell bags of perlite at Home Depot, probably 5 or 6 bucks. ::kavaleaf::

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
I buy that one sometimes, you’ll still need more perlite than what comes in that mix. They sell bags of perlite at Home Depot, probably 5 or 6 bucks. ::kavaleaf::
I've read that too much perlite can cause flouride burns on the tips of leaves... Seems scary, but I did buy some

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
There's a youtuber I follow called Seamus O'Leary who grows tropical fruit trees in Phoenix.
In one of his videos, he talks about how the soil/sand in Arizona isn't acidic enough for some tropical plants (and Mangos in particular).
Kava does best in soils with pH levels between 5.5 and 6.5. While this isn't a problem for you because you're growing in a container, your tap water might also be a problem. The pH levels of water in Phoenix, AZ, is supposedly usually around 7-8.

I've never had to deal with this myself so can't provide an exact recommendation, but there are lots of guides online on how to acidify your water with everything from lemon juice to vinegar. Or just add elemental sulfur to the soil to counter the alkalinity of the water.

And it goes without saying that a pH meter would come in handy.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
There's a youtuber I follow called Seamus O'Leary who grows tropical fruit trees in Phoenix.
In one of his videos, he talks about how the soil/sand in Arizona isn't acidic enough for some tropical plants (and Mangos in particular).
Kava does best in soils with pH levels between 5.5 and 6.5. While this isn't a problem for you because you're growing in a container, your tap water might also be a problem. The pH levels of water in Phoenix, AZ, is supposedly usually around 7-8.

I've never had to deal with this myself so can't provide an exact recommendation, but there are lots of guides online on how to acidify your water with everything from lemon juice to vinegar. Or just add elemental sulfur to the soil to counter the alkalinity of the water.

And it goes without saying that a pH meter would come in handy.
First off, I love this forum. Second, thanks for the advice.

I have been wondering if tap water is even a good idea because of the chlorine/flouride/whatever other chemicals in it. I thought about just getting a couple jugs of distilled water, and now from the sounds of it I might need to add a little bit of something to make it acidic instead of basically neutral? Or is this going a bit overboard?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I might need to add a little bit of something to make it acidic instead of basically neutral? Or is this going a bit overboard?
Apparently (I just googled this and learned something new!) distilled water is neutral when it's made, but within hours of exposure to the air (carbon dioxide) turns acidic on its own. So I guess you don't have to add anything if you use that.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Apparently (I just googled this and learned something new!) distilled water is neutral when it's made, but within hours of exposure to the air (carbon dioxide) turns acidic on its own. So I guess you don't have to add anything if you use that.
Yea, I saw that too, but it seems like the acidity would need to be higher?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

It looks like the Logee folks are in Connecticut? Whatever they are doing to make those shipable Mahakea they are doing a good job!
The leaf picture with the curled/burned edge should be flipped over and examined with a magnifying glass.
I have never experienced an adverse reaction from perlite which I think is the popcorn of lava rock turned white.
Somewhere I have a photo of my 'awa tip cuttings in 100 % perlite rooting in timed mist (15 seconds every 15 minutes)
rooting in perlite is excellent.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
It looks like the Logee folks are in Connecticut? Whatever they are doing to make those shipable Mahakea they are doing a good job!
The leaf picture with the curled/burned edge should be flipped over and examined with a magnifying glass.
I have never experienced an adverse reaction from perlite which I think is the popcorn of lava rock turned white.
Somewhere I have a photo of my 'awa tip cuttings in 100 % perlite rooting in timed mist (15 seconds every 15 minutes)
rooting in perlite is excellent.
Fantastic info! What would I look for on the underside of the leaf? I did take a million pictures, and have them attached, because that is the kind of guy I am. Might be helpful, might not be?

Could you give a ratio of perlite to soil I should use for this plant? I've also got some sphagnum moss in case I should throw some of that in as well. I'm going to plant it tomorrow since it's had a couple days to relax.

Attachments

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I've read that too much perlite can cause flouride burns on the tips of leaves... Seems scary, but I did buy some
If your concerned about perlite causing problems make sure to get the big cheap bag of perlite from home depot. It's plain perlite. It's just for water retention. The miracle gro stuff in the small bags has additives.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
What would I look for on the underside of the leaf?
Bugs like spider mites, which can be hard to see with the naked eye. Something like this is handy (that's just a random one that showed up in search results, I don't know if that particular one is any good). A magnifying lens might be enough though.