What's new

Need help/guidance to properly taper Benzo's and Anti depresents with KAVA use.

amandoad

Hi there, I need help
I hope this message finds all well. I am reaching out to explore the use of **kava** and other **herbal medications** to support me in my journey of overcoming anxiety and sleep issues, as well as tapering off certain medications.
Currently, I am in the process of tapering **benzodiazepines** and **vortioxetine** (an antidepressant).

I have already ordered come KAVA from Fiji Savusavu and Vanuautu Bornguru, If anybody can help in any ways that would be great, pointing me to the right people/direction etc will also be highly appreciated, Mostly if my sleep is good the rest I can manage, But I am not sure if KAVA can be had with anti depressants, as I cannot stop the Anti-deps abruptly, need to slowly taper, I have had conflicting opinions on the same, HEard Dr. Weil talk its possible to have with other meds on youtube and others say its contraindicative, need help on this please.

Last year I abruptly stopped my medicine due to some side affects, and that caused many issues, this time I am slowly tapering, so far have tapered 40%, anti represents, and 25% Benzo for =sleep, need help with the rest please, and having sleep issues, meditating, doing yoga, ALPHA/BETA/Theta brainwave training etc to calm the mind. Doctor says my adult ADHD may be a contributing factor for the issues I had, emotionally I am much better now with spiritual practices and practicing presence (the power of now), but need support to taper medicine, and otherwise for sleep etc.
I understand that "**It won't be a medical advice, **", Although if anyone does know of any doctors/consultants/health practitioners/life coach that can help me, do let me know please, thanks.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
**This is not medical advice, and I am not a doctor**

Had to look up Trintellix, but that's actually a pretty decently designed drug as it hits pretty much all CYP pathways with CYP2D6, being the major. Kava doesn't modulate any of the pathways there. I wouldn't expect an interaction. Benzos is the only subjective one, as the effects would be pharmacodynamic and additive in regards to intoxication.

Sleep. The thing humans yearn for. Helpful, uninterrupted sleep.

I am much on the same path as you but in the opposite direction. I've tired every single natural "plant medicine" out there to get myself to sleep. Kava, by far works the best, but, and this is a rather large caveat, kava may not actually treat anxiety and sleep together. As such, I still have to seek medical treatment for my anxiety situation even while drinking kava.

amandoad

Alright, thank you so much, any other information would be helpful, is it possible to taper anti depressants with help of KAVA, if yes which chemotype to opt for, can you tell me about other herbs that actually help and work please ?, I am trying the product Sens.ai, which is helping with calming the anxiety, you can look it up, add kriya yog after the session of Sens.ai it amplifies the affect, it is addressing the root cause I think. but need help in the meanwhile.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Alright, thank you so much, any other information would be helpful, is it possible to taper anti depressants with help of KAVA, if yes which chemotype to opt for, can you tell me about other herbs that actually help and work please ?, I am trying the product Sens.ai, which is helping with calming the anxiety, you can look it up, add kriya yog after the session of Sens.ai it amplifies the affect, it is addressing the root cause I think. but need help in the meanwhile.
There is no right chemotype, there is only the right type of kava (for you), prepared traditionally which should always be medium grind. Don't waste your money on anything else. Other things to consider, mediation, breathing exercises also really help, get outside, go for a walk. Whatever it takes to keep your mind busy, if you have a hobby, lean in on it. For extra support, look into therapy. I still have a therapist 10+ years into this.

amandoad

So what might be the right KAVA for me please ?, there are so many in the market, which one is right for me ?, do I need to experience few and figgure out please ?

Gabbadict

Kava Curious
I am currently taking pristiq which is an SNRI and also clonazapam. After extensive research and help from many people here (mainy the kap'n) It seems ssris/ssnri don't interact with kava at all, however there seems to be a minor risk with benzodiazpines and other sedative medications as kava can also act as a sedative very similar to that of a benzodiazpine. I have had no issues In The 1 month I have been taking kava and my medications. I have also built up a major tolerance to my 1mg of clonazapam which I don't even feel anymore...
Before my kava journey I used to drink excessively with my medication and alcohol is a so so much worse mixing with sedative medications.

I found borongoru to be my favourite cutivater.
It provides a very similar effect to to my clonazapam feeling I once had when I first started taking it.

Kelai is to stimulating for me and gives me anxiety and makes my head spin.

Melo melo is to melo and not sedating enough.

I've got some fiji premium waka on the way so I hope that can be an additional to the wonderful borongoru.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I am currently taking pristiq which is an SNRI and also clonazapam. After extensive research and help from many people here (mainy the kap'n) It seems ssris/ssnri don't interact with kava at all, however there seems to be a minor risk with benzodiazpines and other sedative medications as kava can also act as a sedative very similar to that of a benzodiazpine. I have had no issues In The 1 month I have been taking kava and my medications. I have also built up a major tolerance to my 1mg of clonazapam which I don't even feel anymore...
Before my kava journey I used to drink excessively with my medication and alcohol is a so so much worse mixing with sedative medications.

I found borongoru to be my favourite cutivater.
It provides a very similar effect to to my clonazapam feeling I once had when I first started taking it.

Kelai is to stimulating for me and gives me anxiety and makes my head spin.

Melo melo is to melo and not sedating enough.

I've got some fiji premium waka on the way so I hope that can be an additional to the wonderful borongoru.
It is all about the ride, over time you may want to revisit these, your mind and taste will change with time. The journey/exploration is the best part!

Probably why many may not bother, kava is about the enjoyment of the plant and learning by trying out different cultivars. Those who look to kava as a simple answer or quick fix, won't find what they are looking for, or may likely be underwhelmed.

amandoad

"Hello everyone,
I need some guidance to figure out if Kava is the right fit for me. Here are my concerns and experiences so far:
First, I was hoping Kava could help with sleep, anxiety, and tapering off my sleep medication.

I’ve tried Kava four times, but it's causing nausea, a pukish feeling, and seems to have the opposite effect of prokinetics—it feels like it’s stopping my peristaltic movement. Additionally, the next day I feel lethargic, similar to alcohol aftereffects.

The strain I used was Fiji-Waka roots from the Sabu-Sabu area, purchased from an Australian Kava shop. I'm planning to try Borongoru from Kalm with Kava in a day or two to see if it’s any better.

I do have a couple of questions:
Do water-soluble extracts like those from Roots of Happiness cause the same nausea and digestive issues, or are they gentler on the stomach?
Could it be that a different strain of Kava might suit me better?

Also, I need to improve my focus and productivity while managing ADHD. I often get headaches from looking at screens or dealing with any strain, though this has improved compared to before.

If you know any integrative or holistic medicine practitioners who could assist me, I would appreciate recommendations. And if you have suggestions on other Kava brands or strains that might be easier on the stomach, please let me know.

I’m using the correct strainer and preparing Kava according to instructions, but still experiencing these issues. I’d love any advice or guidance you can offer.

Thank you!"

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
"Hello everyone,
I need some guidance to figure out if Kava is the right fit for me. Here are my concerns and experiences so far:
First, I was hoping Kava could help with sleep, anxiety, and tapering off my sleep medication.

I’ve tried Kava four times, but it's causing nausea, a pukish feeling, and seems to have the opposite effect of prokinetics—it feels like it’s stopping my peristaltic movement. Additionally, the next day I feel lethargic, similar to alcohol aftereffects.

The strain I used was Fiji-Waka roots from the Sabu-Sabu area, purchased from an Australian Kava shop. I'm planning to try Borongoru from Kalm with Kava in a day or two to see if it’s any better.

I do have a couple of questions:
Do water-soluble extracts like those from Roots of Happiness cause the same nausea and digestive issues, or are they gentler on the stomach?
Could it be that a different strain of Kava might suit me better?

Also, I need to improve my focus and productivity while managing ADHD. I often get headaches from looking at screens or dealing with any strain, though this has improved compared to before.

If you know any integrative or holistic medicine practitioners who could assist me, I would appreciate recommendations. And if you have suggestions on other Kava brands or strains that might be easier on the stomach, please let me know.

I’m using the correct strainer and preparing Kava according to instructions, but still experiencing these issues. I’d love any advice or guidance you can offer.

Thank you!"
Perhaps try reading the forum, your answers are all here.