What's new

Kava as an Alcohol Substitute: Please post your experiences.

D

Deleted User01

I will just post some outline notes 'cause everyone is tired of hearing me talk about it.
I used to have 7 alcohol days, now I have 5 kava days and 2 alcohol days.
On the alcohol days, I truly wished I had done Kava. The sleep is not as good.
I have to drink because I love brewing beer and I love drinking beer and therfore I drink it. However, my consumption on those days has been cut in half. Last night I had 2 beers and that was plenty.
Those 2 beers effected me the same as 4 beers and I think there is an interaction with the kava in my blood stream.
I am not an alcoholic by the grace of God but I know I have been drinking too much most of my life. I'm glad that I have finally cut down on it. I just function better.
You know the old Islander saying and I paraphrase, "Man who comes home on alcohol is angry and wants to fight. Man who drinks Kava only wants to make love and sleep". And I might add, "If woman is not interested, then sleep is still a damn good option". You might interview the wives of some of the ex-heavy drinkers.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I got sober long before I found kava but that part of my brain remained activated. I knew I didn't want to drink because of where it leads me but I still would feel those urges from time to time. The "fuck it" attitude would click on. Or something that triggered a depressive bout. Since embracing kava this has yet to surface again for me.

I find myself happier and more content with people and events in my life. Even when I'm not rooted this state of mind/being seems to remain vigilant.

I hadn't thought of going back to booze before but now I feel I've sealed the door behind me with kava cement. ::awesomesmiles::

Crunked

Proselytizer
Before kava I drank alcohol 7 days a week. My sleep was not good, I would often wake at 3.00 am and find it difficult to get back to sleep. When I woke for the day, usually around 5.30, I felt tired and depressed. I now drink kava 6-7 days a week and alcohol once or twice a month (on non-kava days). On kava I sleep very well, I awake refreshed and looking forward to the day. I am more relaxed during the day. The difference is chalk and cheese. I have also lost some weight (bonus!).

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Well, kava can be a fantastic alternative to alcohol for social gatherings, small parties, etc. We used to drink beer after work, which can be fun, but many people overindulge when they drink with friends. It's difficult to keep track of all the beers one drinks. After several beers the conversations get a bit absurd or stupid. The next day one feels tired, hangovered and bloated. Very often one ends up eating some total crap after several beers which definetely doesn't help. With kava, we have fantastic and lucid conversations, listen to great music, eat some light snacks and feel great the next day.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I've been a heavy drinker since I was 17 years old. At some point I developed a strong desire to quit drinking. I managed to force myself to quit for almost a year. But no matter how long I went without, the cravings were always strong and I eventually got sucked back into drinking full-time again. No matter what I tried or what I did, I just couldn't quit (without everyday being a miserable struggle).

But finally, somehow, I came across kava and decided "what the hell" I'll give that a try too. Much to my amazement, it actually did the thing that nothing else could. It relieved a lot my intense craving for alcohol. I still drink, but now it's much more limited and I can fairly easily go for months at a time without drinking.

I am so thrilled with this whole development, I'll do anything for this forum and anyone I can help. It has literally saved me from an early demise.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/i-see-drunk-people.4433/

Sorry for plugging that old thread, but that's been my most decisive "kava is better than alcohol in social situations" experience I've had.

I've cut out most alcohol in the last 10 years, though occasionally "tie one on" for old time's sake (and pay for it DEARLY the next day.) Now, I really don't have any desire to drink alcohol because I'd have to cut back on the kava in preparation, and that just seems STUPID.

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
I got sober long before I found kava but that part of my brain remained activated. I knew I didn't want to drink because of where it leads me but I still would feel those urges from time to time. The "fuck it" attitude would click on. Or something that triggered a depressive bout. Since embracing kava this has yet to surface again for me.

I find myself happier and more content with people and events in my life. Even when I'm not rooted this state of mind/being seems to remain vigilant.

I hadn't thought of going back to booze before but now I feel I've sealed the door behind me with kava cement. ::awesomesmiles::
Basically same story for me. I've been dry for over a year (save 3 separate one night tie ons), but dont really enjoy the "shaking on the inside" feeling alcohol leaves me with now, plus it screws up my sleep for like a week each time. I may still tie one on once or twice a year socially, but it booze will no longer be my mood enchancer. And I have young kids and actually want to remember their childhood and the fun we have together. And the whole not dying thing is appealing too, and weight loss. Kava is a great alternative to either take the edge off, or sedate more agressive agitations. And I havent had to sell my body yet... though I am a sexy man. Kava keeps me off the pole.

mitchwFSU

Kava Curious
Agree w/ 50 Shades. We have a 9 mo old daughter and the crap that comes along with drinking 4-5 nights a week wasn't working anymore. She's doing a lot of cool new things now and I don't want to miss/forget that because my heads in the gutter. Kava appears to solve that issue. Thanks Kava :happy:

krazyforkava

Kava Enthusiast
Kava definitely has replaced my alcohol consumption completely! It's been a true lifesaver, considering I was a borderline alcoholic. I love the way kava can make you more social and relaxed. Alcohol did that but I also did things I regretted and it made me not myself. I always would prefer kava over alcohol. I have never done anything my sober self wouldn't do on kava. The same cant be said about alcohol.

superkavaman

Kava Curious
Before Kava I was a alcoholic drinking everyday all day just about. I was introduced to Kava from krazyforkava, he was researching sleeping medicine and ran into kava. We both put in money and bought our first batch of Kava it was Mahakea from GHK, from then my drinking habits went down from 7 days a week to 2 days well as time progressed we started experimenting with different Kava. I, myself became very fond with heady Kavas (11 year waka, Nambawan, Hanakapi ai, Honokane Iki) It helps me relax and now my drinking habits have gone away been sober for 1 year.

While drinking i made some bad regrets and risked my career, but while on Kava I've always controlled myself and my actions. You have that ability to say you are good an dont need anymore (while on kava) as of drinking alcohol you don't know that limit sometimes the drunk hits you right in the face an wipes you out for the night and you're waking up looking for your clothes down the road from where you went streaking, and also it has helped me save money. I could spend 100$ on alcohol a weekend and then finish all of it and spend more that following weekend. Well now all I do is buy 100$ of Kava and be set for a good bit. I say Kava has demolished my alcohol wants. Just thinking of drinking is making me feel bad in my stomach and makes me crave kava. I will always recommend a alcoholic try kava and see how fastly they turn away from alcohol.