What's new

26% kavalactones!?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I drank the "island dope" as they call it once so far. I thought it was solid. Definitely heavy. Very fine grind. Definitely not 26% though.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I forgot to mention that I spoke to the person in charge of the lab. Basically he said that the reports I showed him aren't official lab results. He didn't specify whether he thinks the documents were doctored by their client or whether they were issued contrary to official procedures (eg. by a crooked employee).

I got the impression that he was very upset about the whole thing, and he did say they're considering ways to prevent this sort of thing happening again.

I'm not sure what they can do other than publish the results on their website, but obviously many of their clients will be opposed to this.

Personally, I reckon the fact that the dates on some of them are MONTH/DAY/YEAR implies that they were doctored in the US, but that the lab can't come right out and blame their client.

Last edited:

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I forgot to mention that I spoke to the person in charge of the lab. Basically he said that the reports I showed him aren't official lab results. He didn't specify whether he thinks the documents were doctored by their client or whether they were issued contrary to official procedures (eg. by a crooked employee).

I got the impression that he was very upset about the whole thing, and he did say they're considering ways to prevent this sort of thing happening again.

I'm not sure what they can do other than publish the results on their website, but obviously many of their clients will be opposed to this.

Personally, I reckon the fact that the dates on some of them are MONTH/DAY/YEAR implies that they were doctored in the US, but that the lab can't come right out and blame their client.
Thank you for the in depth research. The numbers being in wrong format really was a big red flag when you pointed it out.

I actually like there tongan even though its definitely weak. And the island dope is still a heavy and strong kava

Last edited:

AlohaAimee

Kava Enthusiast

WOW, thank you for sharing this. This is pretty messed up!

verticity

I'm interested in things

It would pretty simple to provide test results in the form of digitally signed PDFs rather than a scanned piece of paper. Of course vendors could still choose not to share it with the public, as is their right not to, but for reputable vendors it could be a selling point to have a certificate that can be proven to be authentic..

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thank you for the in depth research. The numbers being in wrong format really was a big red flag when you pointed it out. Also I really got the impression the numbers were bolstered when I tried the limited time GHK Hanakapi'Ai. I did about the same ratio of prep, and hands down preferred the GHK for taste and effects.

Pretty shady thing for a new kava company would do. I actually like there tongan even though its definitely weak. And the island dope is still a heavy kava but I feel so mislead.
If I had to hazard a guess, and this is just conjecture, the vendor probably got conned by a middleman. The vendor was willing to supply COAs and did so quickly, with no real obligation to do so. That said a vendor who is not willing, or is unable to look at a COA that claims such a high percentage, and not begin to question it is not a vendor I would want to get my kava from. I still think testing and correct labeling and quality control are important for kava to flourish.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
If I had to hazard a guess, and this is just conjecture, the vendor probably got conned by a middleman. The vendor was willing to supply COAs and did so quickly, with no real obligation to do so. That said a vendor who is not willing, or is unable to look at a COA that claims such a high percentage, and not begin to question it is not a vendor I would want to get my kava from.
That's quite possible, and might explain the double-testing... why else would they get the kava tested in the US by Atlas Labs if they already had USP results. It's interesting though that the USP results have the vendors name on them, rather than the name of a middleman. It's all very strange.

I still think testing and correct labeling and quality control are important for kava to flourish.
Absolutely!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If I had to hazard a guess, and this is just conjecture, the vendor probably got conned by a middleman. The vendor was willing to supply COAs and did so quickly, with no real obligation to do so. That said a vendor who is not willing, or is unable to look at a COA that claims such a high percentage, and not begin to question it is not a vendor I would want to get my kava from. I still think testing and correct labeling and quality control are important for kava to flourish.
Yep, that willingness to display the results of the tests is what throws me off as much as the test itself.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
The plot thickens.

After several sessions with this stuff, the falsely alleged 26% is actually very good kava. Not extremely potent, but probably would go in my top 10 kavas this year.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
The plot thickens.

After several sessions with this stuff, the falsely alleged 26% is actually very good kava. Not extremely potent, but probably would go in my top 10 kavas this year.
As a consumer, I find it difficult to support a product like this because I see red flags all over the place. I am not dismissing anyone's experience with the kava, it could very well be excellent. For me it's easier to stay with the tried and true kavas, because I have the peace of mind that I am getting what is advertised, all the time.

Similarly, I get many follow requests on Instagram from kava bars, I always ignore those whom sell Kr@ along with kava because it goes against my belief that both plants should be sold in the same establishment.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I should add that I wouldn't suggest anyone spend $50 for a half lb of this kava, or any kava for that matter. I got it as a sampler pack.