What's new

4 day old kava at room temp

Harry

Kava Curious
so I made some kava on Thursday with boiling method and put it in a shaker cup to use for later and well long story short I forgot about it....its been 4 days and I came back home and saw it sitting on my desk and without thinking chugged it down. It did not taste like kava at all it tasted like stomach acid You guys think I'm gonna be alright?

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
:wtf:
It can go sour pretty quick at room temperature, so that explains the taste. I wonder if there is some kind of fermenting going on over that long too?
Throw that thing in the fridge next time, gives you a bit more grace period for forgetfulness.
Hope you stomach is agreeing with it.

Jerome

Kava Lover
If it tasted sour, maybe its slightly fermented by Lacto bacillus bacteria? Like a kava-sauerkraut?

Harry

Kava Curious
Nothing happened yesterday or today still feeling fine. Surprised I didn't throw up or anything, I didn't even have Nasua :/ it was only a shell or two but it hit me hard

verticity

I'm interested in things
:wtf:
It can go sour pretty quick at room temperature, so that explains the taste. I wonder if there is some kind of fermenting going on over that long too?
Throw that thing in the fridge next time, gives you a bit more grace period for forgetfulness.
Hope you stomach is agreeing with it.
It does contain starch--I guess that fermenting could happen or just being eaten by bacteria when it gets wet.

Jerome

Kava Lover
It does contain starch--I guess that fermenting could happen or just being eaten by bacteria when it gets wet.
Fermented veggies, or starches are pretty harmless. Leave meat on the counter a few days without proper preservatives and its a whole different situation!

meow

Kava Curious
On to many accounts I have done up a whole blender of kava and been to lazy to strain it that night and it will sit out for a whole day and night and then the next day I would strain it. It always has this familiar musk type smell and even taste to it but I have never gotten ill effects from it. I was actually wondering about it possibly fermenting because It sorta makes a SCOBY by the second day from all the foam it generates on top of the water and maybe that is the off taste, ut its also reported from heat in general.
This week I had the same thing go on when im to lazy to strain it and this proceeded for 2 nights and then finally strained it and put it in the fridge. I drank it over the last week and it didnt ever create ill effects or some weird reaction but made me wonder what it does lacto-fermenting wise.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yikes, you are braver (or a lot poorer) than I am. Not a chance would I slug that down! 3-4 days in the fridge sealed up in a mason jar seems to do just fine, but on the warm counter seems to go "bad" quickly. At least the taste is bad - no idea what causes the bad smell/taste.

meow

Kava Curious
Ive done this every once in awhile for the years ive been drinking and never thought anyone else would do the same so I figured id put my 2 cents in, but the emulsion turns into this floating mass of kavain smelling foam and it always made me think that it did something molecularly to it or maybe since the root gets fully re saturated and your able to need moar goodies out of it.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
I'ts hard enough to drink when made fresh so i think i'd struggle to drink it if it was sour tasting!