What's new

Kava Preparation 5Tablespoon vs Dessert/Soup Spoon vs Teaspoon

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Hi. Ive been a bit inspired to post this after reading someone using 12tbsp of kava in a session. Surely they mean dessert spoon.

I've taken a photo of tablespoon, dessert spoon and teaspoon. Tablespoons are for serving not eating and are rather large.
DSC_1602.JPG

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi. Ive been a bit inspired to post this after reading someone using 12tbsp of kava in a session. Surely they mean dessert spoon.

I've taken a photo of tablespoon, dessert spoon and teaspoon. Tablespoons are for serving not eating and are rather large. View attachment 9265
Today I Learned: the definition of Dessert Spoon.

If you don't mind, I'm going to feature this post in some way. I have a feeling more than just I have been mistaken in this.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Of course. And it certainly makes a difference when cooking and following a recipe
It absolutely does. I've edited the title and added it as a sticky :)

Thanks for this. Sometimes even the simplest of things can be missed.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Where do you live @Pauluk ? The UK as your user name suggests? I remember looking into this a while ago and different regions of the world mean different things when they say "tablespoon" or "teaspoon", etc., and also the official definitions in terms of mL are different in various places (I don't think a "dessert spoon" is a common phrase here in the US...not one I'm familiar with at least)

In my vernacular I'd call your "tablespoon" a "serving spoon" and your "dessert spoon" a "tablespoon" or possibly "soup spoon"

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
I agree that spoons from a cutlery set can differ. however Ive got a set of stainless measuring spoons. The tablespoon size one is going to give you quite a bite more than any real life dessert spoon. Dessert spoons dont vary so much in a set as you have to be able to get them in your gob lol.

I live in the uk. Where kava is hard to get and not cheap to import. Thank goodness i only needs 2 dessert spoons. If it took me 8 10 12 of any size spoon
I wouldnt be able to use it.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Not being from the US, I didn't realise a tablespoon was a definitive measure before joining this forum, so that's a further illustration of the educational value of kavaforums.
I use what I know to be a tablespoon, about 3" long at the scoop, but heaped, more just to transport from bag to filter stocking than measuring tool. I measure by how much is in the stocking - the size of the kava "ball".

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Yes I think it only matters when discussing with others. As long as we as individuals know our personal amounts then that's great.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I measured and weighed my scoops once...these numbers would vary depending on the kava and the batch but here's what I got:

I use a measured 2 Tbsp scooper, but I never look at it to make sure I fill it exactly to the line, so I probably get a little bit over 2 tbsp per scoop. The measurements were:
  • ~8 Tbsp = 48 grams of kava powder
  • ~10 Tbsp = 63 grams of kava powder
  • ~12 Tbsp =75 grams of kava powder
[the numbers I listed were for a lawena kava, when I did the same measurement with waka it was an additional ~10 grams.]

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

I've taken a photo of tablespoon, dessert spoon and teaspoon. Tablespoons are for serving not eating and are rather large. View attachment 9265
I think when we say TBS or tsp we mean actually measuring spoons that are then levelled off. If they are heaping we say heaping but folks should keep in mind that a heaping TBS (or a Morgan TBS, if you will) is likely to be a great deal more than a TBS and possibly as much as 2 TBS. Personally, because of eye of sight line, I use what looks like less than a TBS but actually works out to about a TBS.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Scale scale scale if you care about consistency !
I never use one though I like to use my intuition with safe herbs they work better for me that way
This! I use a kitchen scale for every single batch. It makes it really easy to feel and appreciate the subtle differences in kavas when you use exactly the same amount for each batch. Also really helps gauge the strength too.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I only use measured table spoons. I think it would be better if we all started using grams, though.
I refuse to get one of those little scales for grams that everybody has these days for their kr@ and flower. Not my style. Measuring spoons work just fine if you own them and use them properly, which I sometimes do, if I feel like it. Maybe. Do it enough and you can eyeball things ok.