What's new

A curious "kava bar" event..

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
A friend of mine has just sent me this video:

the "five gallons of kava".

Wow. This just doesn't make any sense. Loud techno, screams, psychodelic lights and "gallons of kava" downed "as quickly as possible". It's so bizarre. I imagine this must be working for some people or otherwise the bar wouldn't be making any money, but I just find it unbelievable.
Do many kava bars in America look this way/have such events?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
A friend of mine has just sent me this video:

the "five gallons of kava".

Do many kava bars in America look this way/have such events?
Kavasutra in NYC seemed like an extension of a kava session for me, mellow easy going place, nothing like this.

I was drinking quality Solomon kava, they sell k@ but w/e.

mzii

Kava Curious
I'm pretty shelled out right now and that seems like the last place on earth I would want to be. Makes one wonder if that's really kava they're drinking. But to each their own.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I can see the headline now... florida man drinks 5 gallons of Tudei kava and solicits oral sex from an alligator. Surgeons are hoping for the best... (insert your own possible florida man story here)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I am pretty rooted right now and just watching the video made me ill....nope not what I would want when drinking grog. Then again, I wouldn't be looking for that scene at any point. Even when I go out for a few pints I like the more subdued craft place with one guy play an acoustic in the corner and no TVs. Maybe I am just getting old....

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It's early, and this is random, but I wonder what his insurance company would think if they saw this video and understood its implications.

Edit: Video from September 2015, so if they know they either don't mind...or charge accordingly.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'm beginning to wonder whether I will ever like the concept of Kava bars outside the Pacific. They seem to always miss the point. It's a tough business, so they go for gimmicks and things to get kids riled up. A good Nakamal is quiet and has a good view.
One down in Baltimore, by the water would be nice, didn't you say you were thinking about opening one? :)

I will never understand why the "middle way" is such an elusive path to take. "Supersize me" as I always say. :)

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I saw a youtube video of a kava bar that had a giant Jenga game, the bar looked quite chill other than that. Just looking at the thing caused anxiety. I always find board games(or bored as I call them) pure social stress in a box format. Nothing worse than a get together and someone pulls out on of those social torture devices. Like really, everything was nice and chill and then bam out comes the board game. Almost as bad as a party where people are sitting around watching people play video games. Want to play Joe, no thanks I would rather be drawn and quartered, but thank you for offering. I used to dream of sports bars where they never turned on the sports when I used to like to have a few beers at a bar. Oh great, loud obnoxious tv while I try and chill out. Kind of the same with music blazing at restaurants. You are there trying to socialize with family and friends and wincing loud music is playing and everyone is trying to talk louder than music. Yes waiter I will take the dinner special and a side of temporary deafness.

Last edited: