What's new

A little theory about nausea and dehydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
So for ages now when I drink kava in the evenings I've been following up with carbonated ginger beer or ale. The ginger helps somewhat and the fizziness at least helps you burp out some of the trapped gas which can make you feel rough. Well the other day I didn't have any ginger beer so switched to coconut water and sports drinks. I didn't feel bad at all and I'm wondering if part of the nausea problem is the immediate dehydration you feel when you are consuming kava? It seemed as though immediate rehydration kept most of the nausea at bay and stopped me feeling at all headachy later. I should mention that I was well hydrated going into the session.

In the near future I'm going to start using all that powdered ginger I bought. I've been using sachets of rehydration salts, cheap from the supermarket but with similar ingredients to the top brands. I use this to make a sort of budget sports drink and it seems to work fine so I'm just going to add my ginger right in there so what I'm hoping I'll be left with is a drink that will calm my stomach and rehydrate me at the same time.

KavaKitty

Meaow
Facts. I always make sure I'm well-hydrated before a session, and I consume literally quarts of water during. I drink about a half gallon of water a day, plus I eat bananas and take a potassium supplement (my doc prescribed it) and I feel fine. No headaches, no nausea. I may be blessed, I've never really gotten any bad effects from kava at all, except for the shitty capsules that I bought from GNC and some crap tinctures I got from Wild By Nature, which not only didn't work, but also caused major anxiety (which was what I was trying to treat in the first place - there's a lesson here, kids, do your research).

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I don't like to drink or eat anything else during a kava session - against all logic that this may be - but the next morning a litre of coconut water or cheap rehydration salts in water first thing, followed by another litre of straight water before lunch, sets me up for the next evenings session.
I use my pee as an indicator - dark yellow/brown =bad. I always try to get it to normal colour by 5pm each day to start the next sesh.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Hopefully your pee is not brown?
I should have neen clearer...I never let myself get to the state where my pee is brown, or even deep yellow, but colour is a useful indicator for hydration.
Most people in the Pacific don't drink other liquids whilst having a kava session - the hydration is done afterwards, either before bed or the next day. I guess to avoid getting too bloated.

Status
Not open for further replies.