What's new

Advice LITERALLY to save my life - Kava in Suppository or oil form for Severe Insomnia

Luelma

Kava Curious
I’ve been 24/7 bedridden 8 years and primarily bedridden and housebound since 2008 with a severe multi-system illness and my biggest obstacle in endeavouring to even begin to heal is acute (torturous) insomnia and sleep deprivation. (Overview of my situation written by a friend attached as a photograph.)

My circadian rhythms are flipped so (when I’m actually able to eat) I eat before trying to sleep and wake up to twice during my sleep to eat.
This always produces appalling insomnia and I can’t drink a tea on a full, hyper-sensitive, diseased gut.

I’ve got a 1kg bag of Borogoru Single Cultivar Traditional Grind Kava and am hoping some knowledgable people here might be able to give some thoughts/ideas/advice on the delivery route that would make the most sense: suppositories made using the NZ Borogoru Kava grind OR an oil - like a kind of CBD oil taking droppers sublingually - absorbed as best as possible.

Whilst it would be trial and error guesswork, I’m hoping people with far more familiarity, expertise and experience might be able to guide me a little with the questions that follow:
QUESTIONS ON MAKING THE MOST EFFECTIVE SEDATING KAVA SUPPOSITORY:
The NZ Kava society’s tea-making method recommends kneading their grind with water for a max of 10 minutes, OR putting in a blender with an optional teaspoon of sunflower lecithin added. This is with that ratio of 1g of powder to 10-15mls water. Would kavalactones theoretically be released if the same method was used but replacing the water with an oil and as suppositories are so small and I know I need a fairly strong potency, what ratio of grams of powder to oil might be wise to try?
Alternatively, I’m wondering if I could simply use this method to make an oral oil, kind of like a CBD oil, but I’d hold say 5mls (and another 2.5-5mls if needed) in the mouth for as much sublingual mouth-mucosa absorption before swallowing. Again any ideas of a ratio of the grind to the oil - would be appreciated.

I have not found an organic oil that sets hard in the fridge that I can tolerate (I can’t tolerate organic extra virgin coconut oil and cocoa butter when used with CBD cannabis constipated me). Organic palm oil is meant to be hard at room temperature but is in fact liquid even in the fridge so current melatonin suppositories my carer makes are frozen using a mix of organic ghee and palm oil.
What do people think about freezing a Kava suppository like this, would it theoretically retain its efficacy?

[ SIDENOTE: I’ve been using Kavaplex from the US even though I’m in the U.K., but I think I’d need over half of their 30ml bottle taken throughout the night for it to actually work and that’s unaffordable.
They recommended the tea as more potent but I explained my impasse re very severe gut disease and a flipped biological clock meaning I’d have to drink the tea on a full stomach. So any advice at all on my unorthodox way to literally have Kava be a life-saver would be much appreciated.]

I know rectal administration of things is seen as funny and/or so off-putting it’s not tried that often but when you’re literally in a bid to save your life - healing is impossible with sleep as messed up as mine is; you’ll do anything, and I’m equally keen to try the CBD oil idea too!

Attachments

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
They recommended the tea as more potent but I explained my impasse re very severe gut disease and a flipped biological clock meaning I’d have to drink the tea on a full stomach.
I think you are better off trying on a full stomach first. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work.

We joke about rectal administration as Taboo but the reality is we (or at least I) don't have any knowledge on what rectal admin of kava might actually entail. The one person that might be able to guide you through absorption rates and things of that nature to consider might be @verticity

Good luck!

Luelma

Kava Curious
I think you are better off trying on a full stomach first. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work.

We joke about rectal administration as Taboo but the reality is we (or at least I) don't have any knowledge on what rectal admin of kava might actually entail. The one person that might be able to guide you through absorption rates and things of that nature to consider might be @verticity

Good luck!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I was so exhausted writing this post, I failed to in-put my question around making some kind of CBD kind of oil . I’ve put it below and updated the post - but essentially the question is about replacing the water with an oil and to what sort of ratio?

i do

I do hope @verticity might be able to help.
The NZ Kava society’s tea-making method recommends kneading their grind with water for a max of 10 minutes, OR putting in a blender with an optional teaspoon of sunflower lecithin added. This is with that ratio of 1g of powder to 10-15mls water. Would kavalactones theoretically be released if the same method was used but replacing the water with an oil and as suppositories are so small and I know I need a fairly strong potency, what ratio of grams of powder to oil might be wise to try?
Alternatively, I’m wondering if I could simply use this method to make an oral oil, kind of like a CBD oil, but I’d hold say 5mls (and another 2.5-5mls if needed) in the mouth for as much sublingual mouth-mucosa absorption before swallowing. Again any ideas of a ratio of the grind to the oil - would be appreciated.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I would be lying if I gave you advice, I really don't know. I have only ever used kava as a beverage, however, I would encourage you to try other sleep med alternatives. Maybe Melatonin or an actual script from your doctor. If you already have gut problems, kava may not be the best alternative for you.

Luelma

Kava Curious
Of course I understand.
I would probably never have come to Kava had EVERYTHING prescriptions (im chemically addicted to but that don’t actively work - since 2017) , natural, music and sound and so much more sleep aids been take and tried, very much including low and high dose (oral sublingual, rectal and cream versions) of melatonin
Thank you though :)
I would be lying if I gave you advice, I really don't know. I have only ever used kava as a beverage, however, I would encourage you to try other sleep med alternatives. Maybe Melatonin or an actual script from your doctor. If you already have gut problems, kava may not be the best alternative for you.

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
cbn drops in evening more effective then cbd alone.- schisandra berry (find it in cpasules natures made is a good one for this specific berry, take it midday, kava evening

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
cbn drops in evening more effective then cbd alone.- schisandra berry (find it in cpasules natures made is a good one for this specific berry, take it midday, kava evening
Right on! I forgot about CBN, I use that with other combinations of Cannabinoids. Best brand I know for CBN is from Vivimu, link for their soft gels is below;

Skinskava

of course we are not medical professionals but I think these drops will be especially beneficial. give it a few days to start to work and good luck!

Luelma

Kava Curious
of course we are not medical professionals but I think these drops will be especially beneficial. give it a few days to start to work and good luck!
Thank you so much for all your helpful thoughts (apologies for delayed replies - symptom intensity the only reason). I’ll definitely look into the schisandra berry. Also re the CBN in cannabis - I’ve tried cannabis in sooo many forms via every available ingestion-route and never benefitted but almost all attempts with it was a long time ago (2013). Possibly the highest quality, was the powder from Bedrocan called Bediol (sent to me in 2013) taken in suppository form (edible stoned me and didn’t vaporise it) made from Cannabis sativa L. ‘Elida’ with a ratio of THC 6.3% and CBD 8%.
Do you think despite previous failures, I might still benefit from the Lazarus Naturals Sleep Tincture. I know nobody has a crystal ball to discern who’ll benefit and who won’t but I’m interested if the mix in this oil might help even though Bediol was powdered from a full plant? Hope I’m making sense!
Anyway thank you so much

Skinskava

Thank you so much for all your helpful thoughts (apologies for delayed replies - symptom intensity the only reason). I’ll definitely look into the schisandra berry. Also re the CBN in cannabis - I’ve tried cannabis in sooo many forms via every available ingestion-route and never benefitted but almost all attempts with it was a long time ago (2013). Possibly the highest quality, was the powder from Bedrocan called Bediol (sent to me in 2013) taken in suppository form (edible stoned me and didn’t vaporise it) made from Cannabis sativa L. ‘Elida’ with a ratio of THC 6.3% and CBD 8%.
Do you think despite previous failures, I might still benefit from the Lazarus Naturals Sleep Tincture. I know nobody has a crystal ball to discern who’ll benefit and who won’t but I’m interested if the mix in this oil might help even though Bediol was powdered from a full plant? Hope I’m making sense!
Anyway thank you so much
I think you are making perfect sense. I'm praying for you and am sorry for what you are dealing with. Although I don't believe anything will be a cure all (although some companies in the wellness/ supplements advertise that which is downright dishonest) its always good to try something out and see what works for you. I think lazarus is a quality company that is priced fairly and its rare to find a tincture with three different cannabanoids. Due to the pricing i'd say give it a try as I have benefited from it mysel.f One kava right now i'm finding to be especially good for sleep is the kadavu island damu from Art of Kava. It's not the strongest kava but its very enjoyable and for me has been the most beneficial for my sleep of any kava i've had. Good luck with everything

Luelma

Kava Curious
I think you are making perfect sense. I'm praying for you and am sorry for what you are dealing with. Although I don't believe anything will be a cure all (although some companies in the wellness/ supplements advertise that which is downright dishonest) its always good to try something out and see what works for you. I think lazarus is a quality company that is priced fairly and its rare to find a tincture with three different cannabanoids. Due to the pricing i'd say give it a try as I have benefited from it mysel.f One kava right now i'm finding to be especially good for sleep is the kadavu island damu from Art of Kava. It's not the strongest kava but its very enjoyable and for me has been the most beneficial for my sleep of any kava i've had. Good luck with everything
Those were/are lovely sentiments to read. Thank you so much. My spiritual work is my deepest work but having/allowing something in the physical realm to actually help me and with something to basic as sleep, would be marvellous. I have discovered that my own oral oil (first experimental batch made by one of my weekend carer’s - have to wait for her to be available to try new ratios and have bought proper suppository moulds) was utterly useless and nausea-inducing (I took 15mls over many sleepless hours) but rectally (needleless syringe at the moment!!) it plus the US Kava oil I was taking orally which wasn’t strong enough, have more of an effect. So that’s a definite known thing.
So I’m going to persist with new trials when my carer’s able to help but would like to try this Lazarus cannabis oil. Do people find it’s ok to mix Kava and cannabis?
Thanks for the Art of Kava mention. I’m making a note of it.
Thank you so much again for everything x

Skinskava

Those were/are lovely sentiments to read. Thank you so much. My spiritual work is my deepest work but having/allowing something in the physical realm to actually help me and with something to basic as sleep, would be marvellous. I have discovered that my own oral oil (first experimental batch made by one of my weekend carer’s - have to wait for her to be available to try new ratios and have bought proper suppository moulds) was utterly useless and nausea-inducing (I took 15mls over many sleepless hours) but rectally (needleless syringe at the moment!!) it plus the US Kava oil I was taking orally which wasn’t strong enough, have more of an effect. So that’s a definite known thing.
So I’m going to persist with new trials when my carer’s able to help but would like to try this Lazarus cannabis oil. Do people find it’s ok to mix Kava and cannabis?
Thanks for the Art of Kava mention. I’m making a note of it.
Thank you so much again for everything x
There isn't any interaction in my experiences with cannabis and kava and that tincture I recommended is low in THC. I will say smoking cannabis or having edibles high in thc overpowers the effect of kava and I believe the two are better spread apart. Some like the combo but I personally think it takes away from the kava experience. Cbd cbg and cbn though seem to allow a nice addition to the bodily relaxation of a kava session without causing paranoia or a psychoactive high that will take you away from the kava experience

Skinskava

Like many things in life it's trial and error but I truly believe you will find something that soothes your current ailments and makes room for more peace in your life. Thanks for allowing me to give my two cents on this topic

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
What I believe is your best way to consume kava is prepared in water and drank, room temp. Since you have only a pound, you will want to split it into an ounce, 28 grams each time, 500ml water, so that you have 16 servings. Save the kava roots in an airtight container or paper bag/plastic in the freezer right after brewing and before hanging strainer to dry. On day 17 when you have no more fresh dry root, take the frozen and wet kava from your freezer and brew that in water. Bula!

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Have you tried centrally acting histamine 1 blockers such as quetiapine 25 mg, microdose of mirtazapine or diphenhydramine. Wideli respected off-label med without addiction issues comparable or remotely comparable to tranquilizers.

Mulungu is used in Brazil but did not do anything for me and was expensive like kava when bought from EU herbal vendor.

Melatonin alone does nothing but is OK add-on.

Cold or hot shower might help.

EMS electrotherapy for back or butt muscles works for me but is mild, probably an excellent add-on. Growth hormone mechsnism.

White noise (edit: brown noise, sea or train sound) might help as an add-on but is, again, mild.

Skipping one night with the help of coffee and trying to sleep the next night is not mild but is likely to work.

Last edited: